Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found this button today. Is it real Civil War era or repop?

Tenspeed

I was hunting a yard today that I have hunted many times and found this button about 8" deep. When I cleaned it some I realized it had the palm tree and SC on it.

My search turned up a civil war button just like it except that the civil war button doesn't have the S and C on either side of the palm tree. My son pointed out that it has 3 leaves on each side rather than the two on the civil war example I found.

The button is 22 mm in diameter. Backmark is hard to read but says Horst Mann and Allien, New York

Is it real or a later repro?

Thanks for the help!!

WOW!! Who would think a Civil War button in a yard of a home built in 1910 in downtown Rock Hill, SC!

Thanks for the ID! I was hunting TTF and it came up as an iffy penny at 8-10 inches deep.

That is a great button! I found a link on the Civil War movement that went through Rock Hill, SC at the end of the war in the spring of 1865. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~york/skirmish1865.htm
That's a nice save for the history of Rock Hill. That house may have been built where an older house or business was, or could have been an empty lot. I have been looking around an old house in our town that was built around 1900 and have found over 15 dropped CW bullets. You never know what will turn up in this hobby. Congrats and way to go!

Wow!! That button is in excellent shape!!! Most of the time, when I find a button, at least the shank is flattened or outright missing. Awesome find!!!