Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Four hours, a cast toy truck, a new to me token and the infamous WA State Tax token.

Ronstar

Jkline and I did a lot of diggin this morning! Location is a permission lot where an old home used to be, the root cellar and a barn are still there but the house was demolished. To date a couple tokens, a couple wheats, and of course Jeff pulls a Walking Liberty Half last year (thats the only silver so far).
This place is full of square nails!! Insane. I was running the F75 with the NEL Sharpshooter on, DE mode with 80 Sens and iron dialed out.
I managed to pull a decent quarter signal and dug, up came this hexagonal metal token. Managed to get enough dirt off of it there to see it was a trade token for a Hardware Store in my town circa 1930-40s!!! First one of these for me! Awhile later I dug an old toy truck that I thought I chopped in half but later discovered it was already in two pieces. It appears cast and metal is not magnetic.
Of course the now getting to be almost world famous WA State Tax token of 1935 made its appearance, anyone willing to trade for a Half Cent or a Seated anything???
Jeff scored a Hardware token as well and a metal lion piece thats only half but in good shape (he can finish that story)!

Attachments

• A3A5E4DE-CA27-4386-A8EA-549AB5448464.jpeg
    A3A5E4DE-CA27-4386-A8EA-549AB5448464.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • 02A02C70-92A5-441C-BF37-3DF9E0590F98.jpeg
    02A02C70-92A5-441C-BF37-3DF9E0590F98.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
  • D445EACB-EDEC-4FD8-8215-DB3ABBA6F9CE.jpeg
    D445EACB-EDEC-4FD8-8215-DB3ABBA6F9CE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
Congrats!! I love the token !!

Don't we have a rule that whomever finds a tax token has to buy drinks or something? Lol.

Lots of digging. Lots of nails. My trade token is in way worse shape than R's, and they were only 100' apart.

A cool find from last year-- a pig's ear tag with the name of the then property owner in the 40's: Sam Lange.

Here is what it looked like 120 years ago. Everything is gone except a couple outbuildings.

RonS-- these outbuildings are closer to the church than the current ones. The house-- burned in 1930-- explains all the torched square nails. My guess is that small tree on the left in front of the home, is now that large one where I found the Walker.

Attachments

• default.jpg
    default.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 90
  • default (1).jpg
    default (1).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 92
Dang brother, how did you run all this down? Cant even tell you how much time I tried looking this up. Must be the tax tokens blocking my signals……😂

Here is the pigs ear tag that started this journey….

Attachments

• BF7045FF-3E29-493A-A9C8-DCCAB930B1CB.jpeg
    BF7045FF-3E29-493A-A9C8-DCCAB930B1CB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 85
lol-- Ott Historical archives. Here's a pic of Sam:

Attachments

• samuel_reinhold_lange_medium.jpg
    samuel_reinhold_lange_medium.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 70
Jkline and I did a lot of diggin this morning! Location is a permission lot where an old home used to be, the root cellar and a barn are still there but the house was demolished. To date a couple tokens, a couple wheats, and of course Jeff pulls a Walking Liberty Half last year (thats the only silver so far).
This place is full of square nails!! Insane. I was running the F75 with the NEL Sharpshooter on, DE mode with 80 Sens and iron dialed out.
I managed to pull a decent quarter signal and dug, up came this hexagonal metal token. Managed to get enough dirt off of it there to see it was a trade token for a Hardware Store in my town circa 1930-40s!!! First one of these for me! Awhile later I dug an old toy truck that I thought I chopped in half but later discovered it was already in two pieces. It appears cast and metal is not magnetic.
Of course the now getting to be almost world famous WA State Tax token of 1935 made its appearance, anyone willing to trade for a Half Cent or a Seated anything???
Jeff scored a Hardware token as well and a metal lion piece thats only half but in good shape (he can finish that story)!
I like the truck, shame it was broken, also the store token is a keeper. Good job.

Update on token: Moscow Hardware Co existed 1921-26 in the downtown area, in fact the place I take my stone jewelry to is the same building. 50c back in the day had some buying power so at face value makes it kind of a spendy token!

Very cool digs, congratulation! Great story to!
Tony

Went back today solo. Lots of burnt nails and found a melted aluminum chunk. While I was there one of the property owners checked me out and we got to chatting. Where the cellar is (still there) was right out the back door of the original house shown in the picture! This confirms my thought that finding the tokens and earlier household type stuff would be associated to the house. I told owner I remembered a structure sitting up the bank a bit that was being lived in, he told me the old chicken coop was converted to an apartment. I told him that explained the just under 7’ ceilings!! Also learned more about the property in general too.
The only things I unearthed today was a short fat rifle cartridge (later ID’d as a WRA 50-70, my first there) a 1920S wheat (in remarkably good shape but badly discolored) and couple copper items (?) and some iron strapping pieces.
I believe the next step is the 5” factory coil where the house sat. Picture is how the place looks now, I was standing where the edge of the house would have been.

Attachments

• AF6C7A86-73C5-4EA1-9D50-E912AB743533.jpeg
    AF6C7A86-73C5-4EA1-9D50-E912AB743533.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 74
I like seeing 8 sided tokens. Nice find.

Went back last Friday and played around where the house burnt down. Found a 1920S wheat and a couple of non coin items. Decided yesterday to go back again as older wheat could lead to older silver, right? Decided to put 5” factory coil on the F75 and hunker down. Took four hours to cover an area 10’ wide by 50’ long! Dug a 1919S wheat and a big ol Barlow pocket knife (no idea how the hell we missed that, it was 20’ out from in front of the old cellar door too!)
Going back today and try and finish the house area, and o.m.g. the square nails, melted metal and molten glass…… insane! Pic below marks where the knife was. Also, should note both pennies were in very good shape other than discolored. I do not believe they were exposed to the 1930 house fire.

Attachments

• E8BFDE7B-478E-4F4A-8863-00E4DCF82969.jpeg
    E8BFDE7B-478E-4F4A-8863-00E4DCF82969.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 71
  • 7166B69C-A954-4093-A0F5-480E7E7A331F.jpeg
    7166B69C-A954-4093-A0F5-480E7E7A331F.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 66