Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Franklin half and a nice token for the day.

burlbark

Got out and did some serious hunting today in a "new to us" field. Using the V3i and the 12x15 sef and running mixed mode stereo. So many targets, there had been dozens of cabins that had been tore down, lots of trash.

I found 5 wheats all in the 40's and 50's. My wife found a 1901 Barber dime and our hunting buddy made off with a couple of wheats. Really fun hunt and lots of 70+ vdi's, just had to dig all of them.

The Franklin was around the 8" mark and had iron all around it and I about walked away and then decided to keep digging all them big signals.

The token says "Leonard Sallinen Fort Bragg" and a pat date of 1929. Pretty cool find for me, its my home town and Sallinen owned a bar/saloon.

I guess the big silver makes up for the last weekend silver skunking. I dont find many halves and this is a welcome addition.

Happy hunting.:clapping:

That big silver would take the stink out of any previous skunking. Sound like good time was had by all. :clapping:

Walkers are so much more common than Franklins. Nice find. Looks to be in great shape.

Yeah! Franklins are down right RARE! For us to find anyway..thats my dream coin.:surprised:..Nice Job!
Mud

WTG Ive never found a half dollar of no kind I bet its excitjng Also like the token We have a fort bragg here in N.C. Is that where youre from?HH

metalfun said:
WTG Ive never found a half dollar of no kind I bet its excitjng Also like the token We have a fort bragg here in N.C. Is that where youre from?HH

Nope, I am from the 2nd Fort Bragg her in Northern California. Named by Army Calvary Officer Horatio Gibson in honor of his past commander Braxton Bragg. The town was originally named Noyo and was an Indian Reservation. The fort was full of drunks and they where under investigation for stealing funds for the Indians when Horatio came to inspect for commanders. He made a 2nd fort a mile north of the first and gave it its present name.

That token was stamped by a machine that you could pay to stamp any message you want on it. So Leonard Sallinen had his name and town stamped in while visiting a tourist trap.

407floyd said:
That token was stamped by a machine that you could pay to stamp any message you want on it. So Leonard Sallinen had his name and town stamped in while visiting a tourist trap.

Thanks for the info. I looked it up and its called a lucky star token. I cleaned up the back a little more and found the 1929 was actually a 1923 and that was the key for me.

Another interesting tidbit is that when I got out of the Army I moved in with "UPS Bob Sallinen", that lived about 2 miles away from this location on the same old railroad bed that had been decommissioned 50-60 years prior. Its a very old family name for my town and maybe this was UPS Bobs grandpa? Just a coincidence, and my town is a tourist trap but has a very nice charm to is also.:thumbup:

Excellent !