Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frase44NY

Your recent dig brings back some memories that I thought I'd share ... nice finds by the way :)

I've dug many Barbers and Seated coins over the years and I never get tired of seeing them pop up but for some reason the large cents always get my adrenaline pumping way more.
I guess I can't help thinking about a the possibility of a large cent being a chain cent when I see it come up.
After reading this post you'll know why I feel this way.

I was hunting with a guy and his wife a few years ago, about 20 minutes into the hunt she dug a 1793 chain cent in very fine condition maybe 15 feet in front of me.
She didn't know what it was and thought it might be a tavern token. They had just started detecting a month earlier and didn't even own a finds pouch yet.
I put the chain cent in a pill bottle between cotton balls inside my pouch for the rest of the hunt.
It was found in some wet black mulchy material where a large tree once stood about 7" deep with a wonderful chocolate patina, no soil build up or pitting whatsoever ... just a freaking beautiful well preserved coin.

Knowing that if I told her and the husband of the coins probable worth .... the hunt would probably end right then and there so naturally I wanted to see if anymore would surface because we started digging quite a few large cents, way more than I expected .... so I didn't want it to end.

I later dug a very nice antique gold & diamond broach that she wanted real bad and she offered to trade me the chain cent and 5 large cents for the diamond broach.

These people were gracious host that owned a HUGE partial of land outside of Salem Massachusetts, I had worked with their son who died on a job-site while working in Pensacola, Florida.

A few weeks after the funeral I had some vacation time and they asked me to drive his truck up to Salem and offered to buy my plane ticket back home. Before all this happened I had gotten him interested in detecting and became his mentor so to speak, he would email pictures of our hunts to his parents so they all quickly fell into the hobby and became like family to me.

Anyway, I managed to hold my composure some how until after the hunt was over and we got back to their home.
I got on their computer and pulled up a coin grading site and gave them the good news. They sent it off to be graded and slabbed before I left.
About 2 weeks later they called me and said it had been authenticated ... their excitement & joy was beyond belief as was mine for them.
It turned out to be a Sheldon NC-1 edition.

As far as I know they still have the 1793 chain cent, hopefully one day in the near future I will visit them again and continue the pursuit.

Now you know WHY large cents get my adrenaline going :heh:

Good Hunting
Mike

Thats a great story Mike.Seems like alot of emotions attached to those finds. That is defineately the find of a lifetime. Hopefully u get the chance to get back up there and continue the quest. Something about that big copper disc. Usually they look pretty beat up up here when they come out. Makes u feel good too when good people find good things. Are they still into detecting? I love the fact that u can have a crappy day..or a busy week..and u get home, grab your machine and just go out for a couple of hours, u forget about your problems for a little while..kind of brings u back to 'half full' in stress level. Its a horrible, horrible tradgedy they had to go through in losing theyre son. But this is one of those hobbys ,I feel , that gives u that little escape we all need from reality sometimes. Kind of reminds me of Bryce's story where he found a merc dime the day his Mom passed away at the house she grew up in. Another real cool story to read about. Anyway thanks for sharing that story with us Mike..stay well!:detecting::usaflag: