Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frequencies........

Architex

I'm new here so if this has been covered, my apologies. According to the V3i manual the 22.5 and 2.5 frequencies are best for silver and gold (among others) and the 7.5 frequency is best on brass. So....does it make any sense to turn off the 7.5 when hunting for coin/jewelry?

john67 nailed it; the machine can run on 1 frequency or all three, but you cannot run it on two frequencies only.

My understanding is that the lowest frequency generally goes deeper and silver hits better, but it is more apt to miss smaller items. The highest frequency generally doesn't go as deep, but smaller items and gold hit better. I believe the conditions of the soil play a big role in those generalities.

While I cannot verify it personally, it is often reported that single frequency machines will go deeper than multiple frequency machines and that the V3i is deepest when set on a single frequency. I've read where relic hunters will set their V3i to a single frequency (seems to be the middle frequency usually) and adjust the filters, sensitivity, and gain to suit the conditions they're in, then swing slow to get amazing depth (some report bullet-sized targets down to 15 inches or better).

I would guess that they're still hitting coins (as well as the relics) with those settings. I do know that my MX5 (frequency 14) hits coins hard (that is my favored target) and will see them down to 12 inches - perhaps a bit more if the conditions are favorable. I have never dug a coin-sized target that is deeper than (roughly) 12 inches with the V3i or the MX5, so I can't know for sure which machine is deeper. I suspect it is likely the V3i, but I can't know for sure.

99% of the time I operate in 3 frequency mode. I like to be able to see how each freq. responds to the target. It is a good indicator that way if it is junk or not.

Thanks for the replies. While I was waiting I tried setting two freqs and sure enough, it won't do anything but one or three.

I also hunt in 3 freq . Like gabby I also like to see how each freq are responding to a particular target. Especially which freq are wrapping around the corner

V3i is the deepest on single frequency, sending out more power on a single freq. instead of dividing the power among three signals.
Better target id in 3 freq. Higher EMI on single freq. 2.5.

People say if the green frequency hits silver so much better why not run it full time. Well if you don't have any other freq's to compare it to then you won't be able to tell what metal you are probably digging. My Wheats and IHP's hit red dominate like a zincoln, however their VDI is usually high 80's or low 90's, while zincolns are 53-63. Also when you get a good quarter signal and it's blue freq you know it's probably junk.

22.5 works great on Nicole's and 2.5 works great on silver.

My best advice would be to hunt in 3 freq. until you need the extra depth. In 3 freq. you will still be digging 10" holes in good ground! I very rarely take my V3i out of 3 freq. because you give up so much information in determining what you are digging. Just my 2 cents!

For jewelry I have found the single 15 kHz to do a much better job than multi by far. In fact I have a video on Youtube showing the difference between using all frequencies vs 15 kHz. Of course the video was done on my DFX but I got the same results with my V3i.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu5_ygs_5L4[/video]

PostalTwo said:
The dfx is always transmitting both freq.

That is true but he is asking about his V3i here on the V series forum. :shrug:

I have had small silver rings come in on the 7.5 Freq. If there is something masking your silver it can make it read lower.. I run all three Freq. If it's an area i get to go back to when i want, then I will run it in single freq and have picked up a few more goodies. Good luck