Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

From our hammered park....Awesome!

INSAYN

So, it was in the mid 20's, windy and cold this morning. My carpool and detecting buddy Dave and I just got off work this morning after 12 hour shift.
We have a habit of hitting an old park near his house for a few hours before getting in a nap.

This park ranks right up there with all those other hammered parks. Clad is even hard to find there.
Over the past 15 years I've probably found a total of $4 in change there. But, every once in a while a silver will pop up.

This park has been hammered hard since the 70's when Compass Metal Detectors was in business just down the road a few miles, and Whites being a few hours south.
You know everyone in the area hit this park as it is one of the ONLY parks in town.

Back to today. I dropped Dave off at his house down the street so he could run his youngest kiddo to school real quick.
I parked at the park and got set up for some hunting in the cold. Two surface Zincolns in 10 minutes is actually doing AWESOME at this park.
3rd target 12 minutes into my hunt, marking 7", good tones, repeatable in every direction I go at it with my Sampson.
A this time Dave pulls up in his truck and hops out to get his gear on.
I pull the plug and sift through the soil with my Garrett pinpointer and find my target quick enough.

SWEET SILVER in the hole!

As I get prepared to see Roosevelt's head, the bit of soil on the face falls to the side and I am left looking a really worn 1875 Seated Dime.
HOLY #$%!!!

I pull my headphones, set down my detector and begin my "Happy Dance" in full view from Dave. He hasn't even got his V3i out of the back seat yet.
He sees my commotion and asks me what I found with some disbelief in his voice. Keep in mind he was a bit miffed yesterday when I didn't say anything about a Merc I found until we were done hunting, so the "Happy Dance" today was appropriate and unexpected.

Anyway I am absolutely stoked to show you this coin, as this is my second oldest US Coin to date, and my second Seated ever and rare enough among Oregon detectorists, let alone from this hammered park.

BTW - It was slim pickings the rest of the 2 hour hunt. Nails and pull tabs here and there.

Any day that you pop a seated is a great day - especially when it's completely unexpected. Congrats!

THAT is what it's all about. That's awesome.

Each time out, we have NO idea what will turn up next. This reinforces the notion to keep plugging at it.

Congrats.

Been back twice more to this old park since pulling the seated dime above. A total of about 5 hours of hunting resulted in just a few clad dimes, 4 memorials, and 1 green wheatie.

There seems to be a lot of iron bits that plague this good ol' park.
Even pull tabs are getting harder to find. I do seem to find several of the old beaver tails each hunt, and the occasional square nail.

I tried my 17" coil this morning, and it was picking up too much local EMI that it was noisy as all get out, so I switched back to my stock coil to save my ears.

I'm not going to give up on this park though, as older coins are obviously still there, we just have to get the coil over them in the right direction, with the correct settings, and sweep speed.

[size=medium]Persistence pays of.....I just found my first seated this year....think it was 1873...nice job..[/size]