Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frustrated V3i swinger

moose

Just a few things I found with the advice and minor changes made. Thanks again to all that responded to my cry for help :cry: I'm still struggling with depth, at least with false hits and in high trash areas.
I'll continue to work a hot hit all around point of hit and loose signal. This is not a once in awhile thing, it happens quite often on targets deeper than 6". I will run Rx hot with no Tx boost, lower Rx gradually and still get same results with Rx at 7-8.I've tried switching from normal soil to salt with no change. Am I missing something?
I'm sure I am, but with every read I learn something new. Father-in law just ran a ferrous program in his et and is bangin goods at 11-12",:clap: " GREAT FINDS Al".
I found a new hunting spot 1hr north of me and cant wait to giver heck. Locals that have resided there 50-60 years have never seen any MDers, so might be an awesome piece of real estate.
Thanks again to all who gave advice and my father-in law who reassures me there is still silver in the ground.:twodetecting:

Those look like some nice finds!

when you get a deep signal that disappears at different angles, do you get a rejected iron target on the display? I've had plenty of deep iron that will chirp like a coin from some angles, but null out from others. Sometimes I dig them, just to see -- and so far they have all been iron. Slow down your swing when checking those types of signals in case it's a good target hiding next to a piece of iron.

You are not likely to get a lot of depth in very trashy ground Moose. What program are you using and what are your settings?

I'm glad you brought up the rejected target display Robert,
This does happen and after a 90-180 degree turn, a good signal will reappear and return to rejected target. My issue is what do I believe is happening here? I don't ever recall digging a mixed signal like this and having a good result with my V. With this same scenario and my M-6, I get a 60-70% good outcome with dig. I have a hard time walking away with not knowing.
I normally try to pin point the location of the good hit and work it from there. I will try slowing, but is it possible to go to slow?
Thank you Robert, I'll try anything to get to deeper targets.

Hey Larry,

I'm hunting in CJ
Rx gain 8-12 Tx-off
Discrimination 50, all metal 50
3 frequency, frequency offset +2 correlate
Soil type normal with ground filter 7.5 high-pass
Recovery 30 s.a.t.30

This seems to work well in other areas, but nothing getting dug below 5-6".

moose said:
Hey Larry,

I'm hunting in CJ
Rx gain 8-12 Tx-off
Discrimination 50, all metal 50
3 frequency, frequency offset +2 correlate
Soil type normal with ground filter 7.5 high-pass
Recovery 30 s.a.t.30

This seems to work well in other areas, but nothing getting dug below 5-6".

I had to make my own program. I have been pulling quarters from 10" in the moist ball field to 14" in the wet wood chips. Would you like to try it?

Your recovery delay is set VERY fast, try slowing it down to maybe 80, it gives the V more time to process deeper targets. You might also try to raise the Discrimination Sensitivity from 50 to 75 or more as well. As I posted on another thread, accept all VDI's and set tone to 0 for the ferrous section. Those should help a lot.

Thank you Larry,

I'll give that a shot.I do accept all VDI and place a 0 tone to those I want to reject, but does having my disc. setting alter this?

Burl,

I would like to try your program if I could. Any change would be great, if not a learning curve.. Thank you.

40 is the rock bottom for recovery speed. 45 is the fastestt I use. I believe you are cutting off part of the signal. Unless I am in real trash I'm hunting closer to 80. If the targets are farther apart and I'm looking for the max depth I'm at 100.

Because I use a DX1 my all metal is between 65 and 70.

Why 30 for The SAT? What coil? What is the span on the correlate?

Correlate is not the deepest mode. If you are looking for depth why are you using it?[attachment 168005 ani_einstein.gif] ............Rob

Accepting or rejecting the VDI's IS the discrimination Moose.

Hey Rob,

It's got to be pretty obvious that I'm still learning this machine and I don't quite understand a few of the settings and options. I assumed correlate was better at ID. The span is set at 30 as well with the stock coil.As far as the recovery setting, I tried a quicker recovery to see weather or not it could pick up good VDI's closer to iron.
I'm still learning and not sure how to set things. Most everything is trial and error.Thank God for this forum.

As far as the discrimination goes Larry, I'm scratching my head now as to why I have disc set at 50. I did know the accept/ reject is the discrimination. As soon as I remove my head from my azz, I'll reset.

Thanks again guys.

Discrimination Sensitivity is the sensitivity to metal objects when using the Discrimination mode, otherwise known as the AC mode in DFX terms. All Metal sensitivity is known as DC in DFX terms. Hope this helps some. I run the Disc Sensitivity as high as I can get it and still keep the V stable, usually 85.

moose said:
Thank you Larry,

I'll give that a shot.I do accept all VDI and place a 0 tone to those I want to reject, but does having my disc. setting alter this?

Burl,

I would like to try your program if I could. Any change would be great, if not a learning curve.. Thank you.

Start your rx gain out low at 8 and turn it up as you can. Be sure to ground balance and try pinpointing in the air to assure you have a good frequency offset 0 or + or -

Discrimination at 85 ....but you will use vdi numbers further down, this(85) for some reason gave me more depth.

All metal 75

Frequency Three vdi Chose which ones you want to keep with edit.

Locktrac

Filter and speed 5.0 band pass

Recovery delay 55 .... .You can optimize this for the trash and depth you need to search in your area. 55 gave me a quick enough response while still punching down to 10" on quarters.

Sat 20 ...... I tried turning it up and down and this gave me the best response overall on silver mixed with trash. I was able to swing with a fairly good tempo and not push it. It is important to set your swing tempo on a known item before the hunt and take it easy on your self. You will become more proficient when you can relax and let the detector do the work. I recovered a silver dime mixed with iron nails at 7" You should be able to use tx boost with these setting and get 8"+ on dimes.

Hey Burl,

Thank you for taking the time to send me these settings, it's 5:30pm and I am going to give it a shot at "scrap iron park". Will let you know how it worked.

burlbark said:
moose said:
Thank you Larry,

Burl,

Start your rx gain out low at 8 and turn it up as you can. Be sure to ground balance and try pinpointing in the air to assure you have a good frequency offset 0 or + or -

Discrimination at 85 ....but you will use vdi numbers further down, this(85) for some reason gave me more depth.

All metal 75

Frequency Three vdi Chose which ones you want to keep with edit.

Locktrac

Filter and speed 5.0 band pass

Recovery delay 55 .... .You can optimize this for the trash and depth you need to search in your area. 55 gave me a quick enough response while still punching down to 10" on quarters.

Sat 20 ...... I tried turning it up and down and this gave me the best response overall on silver mixed with trash. I was able to swing with a fairly good tempo and not push it. It is important to set your swing tempo on a known item before the hunt and take it easy on your self. You will become more proficient when you can relax and let the detector do the work. I recovered a silver dime mixed with iron nails at 7" You should be able to use tx boost with these setting and get 8"+ on dimes.

Just wondering Larry what program are you applying your setting to?.........Ron

I think we both start with Hi Pro. But after all the changes there isn't much difference what program you start with. Hi pro uses a different base threshold so the spectragraph looks a little different.

SAT shouldn't make any difference unless for all metal or mixed mode. Rob

If your passing up on iffy Signals , Then your Passing up the Deep targets. I had a iffy Signal On the wet Salt water beach this morning, I stopped to investigate to find a Nickel at 10 + inch's in the wet salt sand surf.

Rob is right, I start with Hi Pro and I use 7.5 Band Pass, Disc. Sensitivity 85, AM 70, no offset and Gain is as high as I can get it depending on the coil used, usually 12 to 15. Recovery delay 80 to 100 unless I'm in trash and then I lower it to 50. Again, SAT is for All Metal and I use LockTrac. I think the secret for hearing the deep targets is an open Discrimination, accept all VDI's and assign a low or no tone to the iron range.

Hey Burl, I tried your program and was able to pick good targets out of the trash within inches of target. The 1904 IH was 7 1/4" deep surrounded by bolt heads and a 1" washer just to one side a touch deeper.
Still needed to work target, but target ID consistantly appeared every other swing. This is what I've been wanting, making a judgment easier. Was hoping to grub for a couple hours in park, but they held music in the park tonight making MDing a little awkward.

Thanks again for the program, will make suttle changes from here too see if I can fine tune any better for this particular park.

HH

You dont know how happy I am to hear it......:clapping:

You can change your recovery delay to try and maximize depth. Just remember if the trash gets to be to thick you can always turn it back down to 55 or so. Working this and gain together can help wonders and turn it into a very quite machine. I had a successful day today also, worthy of a thread:biggrin: