Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frustration Level +++++

smkunder

I just can not seem to get a handle on this Deus, tried several different settings and can not find one that seems to work well in my area. Went out today trying to use the high performance coin program and trashy park program in Andy's book. In 3 hours detecting I found 46 bottle caps 5 pull tabs and 0 coins. This is an older park that is tough, but I have to say that I have never been skunked using my CTX. I have had this Deus a year now and I have to say the bad days really out number the few good days I have had with it. I read about all of you guys really liking the Deus and from my experience I have not been able to jump on this bandwagon. I have not used my CTX for almost a month now so as to give Deus a real chance. I guess its back to square one and start over again. The reason this is so frustrating is I have been detecting for quite a few years, and feel pretty knowledgeable about detectors and their settings for success, but this one is kicking my butt. I really want it to work because I need to swing a detector of this weight at my age.

I tried one a year ago in one of my pounded civil war spots that I know everything is deep. There is EMI really bad too and I was unimpressed and honestly gave it back to my friend thinking I was done. Fast forward and my CTX was weighing me down even though I really liked it. I went to the bootcamp, read Andy's book and was digging measured in the ground minie balls up to 16" which rivaled or edged out my 3030 and my shoulder was loving it. Maybe invest in the book then continue to share feedback on here and you may change your mind. Andy even chimes in from time to time. It's a really neat machine that has almost limitless possibilities, Bummer for me is I got 2 hunts in now it's too darn hot to relic hunt. HH

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I do have the book and have reread it several times. I an going to keep on trying, as I too am having problems with the weight of the CTX. It just is driving me crazy that I can't seem to come up with a reliable setting for me.

smkunder said:
I just can not seem to get a handle on this Deus, tried several different settings and can not find one that seems to work well in my area. Went out today trying to use the high performance coin program and trashy park program in Andy's book. In 3 hours detecting I found 46 bottle caps 5 pull tabs and 0 coins. This is an older park that is tough, but I have to say that I have never been skunked using my CTX. I have had this Deus a year now and I have to say the bad days really out number the few good days I have had with it. I read about all of you guys really liking the Deus and from my experience I have not been able to jump on this bandwagon. I have not used my CTX for almost a month now so as to give Deus a real chance. I guess its back to square one and start over again. The reason this is so frustrating is I have been detecting for quite a few years, and feel pretty knowledgeable about detectors and their settings for success, but this one is kicking my butt. I really want it to work because I need to swing a detector of this weight at my age.

I know nothing of the CTX so I can't help with any comparisons. What I do know is that you should not be digging 46 bottlecaps in a pounded area unless you want to...maybe to unmask potential good targets? This is not a bad thing, but is very time consuming and can wear you out...and other hunters will thank you afterward :) You're a seasoned hunter so forgive me if I sound like I'm talking to a noob with the following:

Bottlecaps; I choose to skip them myself and I use a very easy way [for me] to do it. There are other tips, but this is the one I like the best and now I never dig them unless I suspect (through tones and VDI) that there may be something else with the cap: setup a full tones program in 12K and then set up an identical adjacent program in 4K. Choose one of the two programs to do your hunting with and whenever you hear/see a desirable signal, flip over to the other program and compare the difference in tone and VDI. Good targets will go higher in tone/VDI if you switch from 4K to 12K and go lower in tone/VDI when switching from 12K to 4K....that's always going to be the case for good targets. 8K kinda skews the results of this test, so I don't use it. Now, using 12 and 4K again, if you're over a bottlecap, whether rusted or not, you'll find the opposite to be true: tones/VDIs will go the opposite direction. Test this for yourself with an air test or better yet in the field.

One thing is for sure, if you're not digging bottlecaps, you'll have a whole lot more time to search for good signals.

As for pulltabs and screwcaps...you have to decide whether or not you want to dig those--the above test will not work for those...some good targets fall into those conductivity ranges so be warned that walking past them may cost you jewelry, nickels, IHPs, and some nice old coins I've never dug before. Also keep in mind that in some cases nails and other trash will bring down tones/VDIs of some good targets.

I use full tones with 12K as my default with 4K as my check. This also serves me well when EMI causes a problem with one of those frequencies. The above test will astound you and save you loads of time. It works on more than just bottlecaps, but the results are a little different and will require you to dig to learn the differences. The beauty of this setup is the good targets really do pop and jump out at you. In trashy areas you may have to hit a target at just the right angle, and if you can get away with it in trashy areas, use reactivity 3 and silencer -1. If targets are too deep for that, then bring reactivity back down to 2 or even 1...but keep in mind you'll lose some ability to hear "around" the caps and trash for the good signals. I have an area with a lot of caps that I occasionally hunt, and I know it can be difficult, but persistence and changing directions can often be the key. Bumping up silencer may cut some of the caps out, but I'd rather hear everything and not take a chance on masking the good targets in a sea of trash. I'd advise not using the tracking GB method on such a site...you'll do a lot of repetitive swinging to check targets and you don't want your ground balance to be modified in that environment--use manual.

I understand some folks never really get the hang of the Deus but I hate to see so much frustration....I feel like if I can get it, most others can. I wish you the best success and yes keep asking the questions here. There are a lot of knowledgeable hunters here and they're happy to help. If you're anywhere near eastern Nebraska, give me a shout and we can get out for a hunt together.

Good luck!

Thank You I will try the 12k/4k comparison. Do you just use a modified Deus fast or basic1 program?

Reactivity 2
Silencer -1
Sens 86-88
TX-1 (important to leave at this setting in high trash/high mineral areas)
Disc 6
Full tones
Notch 7-35
AR 4
Iron Level N/A
GB Manual
Ground notch 85-90

Reactivity 2
Silencer -1
Sens 84-86
TX-3 (automatically set and unchangeable)
Disc 6
Full tones
Notch 7-25
AR 4
Iron Level N/A
GB Manual
Ground notch 85-90

Adjust Reactivity and Sens according to the trash, mineral and depth level. If you want to hear almost absolutely everything, bring Disc down to 1 and change notches for both programs to 2-35 and 2-25 respectively.

You're welcome~oh and don't forget that silencer settings will change every time you adjust reactivity...so be sure to check it after changing reactivity.

Try this,

I load in my full tones program,

Disc 4.5
Full tones
Sens
85+
Freq 12
Iron Vol 2
Reac 2
Sil -1
Audio 4
notch 0

If I am in an area with lots of bottlecaps I then hit the OPTIONS button
then press the + and pinpoint buttons simultaneously then select advanced
then select XY visualization.
Then hunt in that. Good targets are alway straight lines, bad targets like bottlecaps are all over the place

It's exactly this kind of hocus-pocus stuff I tried with my Deus in Denmark last summer.

The good news - it mostly worked

The bad news, it slowed me down and was a PITA.

I was happy to sell my Deus to another enthusiast.

Hopefully the folks in your area don't drink as much bottled beer as the average Danish farmer!!

LOL

If you ever get another Deus little78, you can get help here my friend.

Perhaps a simplistic suggestion...but I would try not to run sensitivity too high. Set the sensitivity at 80 and see how that works. You can even go lower if necessary.

Second suggestion...perhaps set discrim higher to quiet down the machine.

There's a big audio difference between shallow and deep signals. It's good to try to play with the machine and see how a target sounds as you lift the coil. At the deepest the signal is just a "gentle sigh" or as some have said a "mouse fart".

My hunting is mostly beach dry sand (except when I'm in Europe) and I normally pick up all the beer caps and can definitely call them 98% of the time. Once (happily) it was a platinum ring.

Last piece of advice (Free): work on your arm, shoulder, chest, back muscles. At approaching 72 I'm amazed at the effects of regular gym use. No more skinny old man arms for me! [Especially needed for my PI which is a Garrett ATX]

Joe (California)

Really didn't mean to dump on the Deus. At the big National level Club hunt over 3 days which I attended in Denmark last summer, about 75% of the participants used the deus, with CTX's and AT Pros making up most of the balance.

I like to hunt by ear and those darned tuborg and Carlsberg caps were frustrating!!

Here's a simple video illustrating the difference in VDI and tone when switching from 12K to 4K while detecting a rosie. You have to look quick, but the VDIs were 89-90 in 12K and 77 in 4K. I shot the video earlier in the month so my recollection of the settings probably could be off, but I think it was

Full tones
Disc 6
Notch 7-35 in 12K and 7-25 in 4K
Reactivity 2
Silencer -1
TX-1
Notch ground 85-90
Audio Response 4

http://youtu.be/YEQ-E245veY