Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Funny story about dirt fishing

Waterdog

Today while out metal detecting I had this Short chunky Asian lady stop to check out what I was doing. I had a target reading quarter on the vdi so I got down and dug it up. It turned out to be a junk target, so I showed it to her and told her I was dirt fishing, and put it in my pouch. She had a hard time, but told me something about the river. I tried talking to her and I continued metal detecting, then she walked on by. A short time later her and a couple of other ladies came down the walkway. they all stopped and watched me as I retrieved a coin. One of them told me that I did not have to go dirt fishing, but go fishing with her and them in the river or a local pond as I could find fish that I could eat.
I told them that this was a hobby and I enjoyed finding coins and other things in the dirt. But would like to go to the river someday.

As metal detectorist, we don't even realize we've created our own language, I can remember when I first got on this forum about 7 years ago about half the stuff I read didn't make any sense.

Sometimes I feel like I need a decoder ring or a translation app when, as a Fisher guy, I try and read the Minelab forums.....12-45 equals what???? just saying... lol

When I first start metal detecting, it was me and the parks, fields, lakes, beaches all to myself. Everyone seemed to avoid me as no one knew what I was doing. Now it seems that there are groups of people doing this and even clubs ?
Now there is a new language about metal detecting ? What happened ?
My first metal detector had a Intensity meter on it and held 14 AA batteries in it?
What happened ?

No matter what if asked "Did You Find Anything Good"
The answer is always NO NO & NO
99% of the time that stops most questions.
If you answer yes "I found a silver dime".
1 week later the word around town is you found Blackbeard's treasure chest in the park.

I once told a guy the best thing I ever found was my wife and now I’m trying to find where I buried her.......😂😂😂

Since I was a kid, I knew what metal detecting was but on several occasions, I have been asked by younger and some older adults what I was doing. Never thought this passion would be so foreign to so many people. Some of them just looked at me as I was missing a few neuron connections and got as far away from me as possible.

Since I was a kid, I knew what metal detecting was but on several occasions, I have been asked by younger and some older adults what I was doing. Never thought this passion would be so foreign to so many people. Some of them just looked at me as I was missing a few neuron connections and got as far away from me as possible.
You could have said, "Digging for worms, as they do gather under the detectors! Lol! Ma

Today while out metal detecting I had this Short chunky Asian lady stop to check out what I was doing. I had a target reading quarter on the vdi so I got down and dug it up. It turned out to be a junk target, so I showed it to her and told her I was dirt fishing, and put it in my pouch. She had a hard time, but told me something about the river. I tried talking to her and I continued metal detecting, then she walked on by. A short time later her and a couple of other ladies came down the walkway. they all stopped and watched me as I retrieved a coin. One of them told me that I did not have to go dirt fishing, but go fishing with her and them in the river or a local pond as I could find fish that I could eat.
I told them that this was a hobby and I enjoyed finding coins and other things in the dirt. But would like to go to the river someday.
Yeah that’s a good one!
and better than asking you to cut the grass!
Tony

No matter what if asked "Did You Find Anything Good"
The answer is always NO NO & NO
99% of the time that stops most questions.
If you answer yes "I found a silver dime".
1 week later the word around town is you found Blackbeard's treasure chest in the park.
I agree Im a very private person anyways. I dont like to bring attention to myself.
Thank you for sharing.

Sometimes I feel like I need a decoder ring or a translation app when, as a Fisher guy, I try and read the Minelab forums.....12-45 equals what???? just saying... lol
-33? 🤭

I once told this kid and his dad I was hunting for bottle caps, awhile later I was getting ready to leave and this kid shows up with a shopping bag half filled full of bottle caps:(
Got to be careful what you tell people.
LOL! He was being nice & wanted to help you--Did you Thank him? Back when I was detecting, some were collecting pull tabs for awhile but don't remember what they were for! Enough would bring in some money with Aluminum prices paid! LOL--Just kidding --I have no idea how many tabs it would take to pay for anyone's time?! Ma

Last edited:
Speaking of nice People.I live in Santa Marta Colombia.I detect the Beach/Water..While waist deep,.Someone(a Man) was watching me put Pull Tabs in my Pouch.He then left.But came back,in a Half Hour or so,with a Handfull of Pull Tabs for me...! haha,I had to explain to him.I also have Kids bringing me Those.
stoneshirt.