Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

G/B problems

Rob (IL)

Magic's post was getting a little long and covering about 3 topics so I thought I would start a new one.

This post is only for G/B problems if you have one.

This a post to see if anyone is having any trouble keeping their [size=large]V3i[/size] ( not V3) ground balanced. If you are under what conditions is it happening? Also if you are having a problem where are you located? If there is a problem I was looking if there was also a pattern. I myself am not having a problem in Illinois.

When I talked to Magic he said he will get us some test garden results.

He said;
This is what I have noticed compared to Goat ranchers V3i. He can ground balance and be in loctrac and recheck his balance and its still good. Mine however, I can ground balance and just wait 10 seconds and ground balance again in the same spot and it will start changing again because you can hear it is out of balance just like when you started.

So maybe he has a unit issue, we will see.

rcasio44 said:

He said;
This is what I have noticed compared to Goat ranchers V3i. He can ground balance and be in loctrac and recheck his balance and its still good. Mine however, I can ground balance and just wait 10 seconds and ground balance again in the same spot and it will start changing again because you can hear it is out of balance just like when you started.

I'm having the same problem and notice it when I use the pinpoint mode--the threshold is gone and need to re-ground balance. I tried using Lock Trac but still have the problem. BTW, it did the same thing before I sent it in for the upgrade and sent all my coils along as well.

One of my first observations since getting the V3i upgrade is that in Autotrack the ground balance quickly drifts away from the balance point. I am using a 950 coil in mild to moderate soil. I lowered the track speed down from 50 (Relic Default) to 25. I have not yet tried with the D2 or other coils.

Lock Track seems to lock in (as it should) and alleviates the problem.

I'm not getting a pattern, One does and one doesn't. Also one did it with both his V and V3i?????
I'll experiment this weekend to see if I can get my G/B to drift by changing the G/B speed. There may be some problems out there, I'll see what Magic says when he get back from his trip. Remember the G/B was changed on the V3i and you may need to change the speed to get the results you had with the V. They are not the same. Since I don't have the problem, I never gave it a thought. As I remember Larry uses Locktrac but not because he had a problem.

Magic, I appreciate you making the detailed report. I've noticed that when less "savy" V3i users bring up the same problems it results in replies in the "Woe is Me with my V3" post. Again, I appreciate you championing the concerns and your attention to detail. Thanks

I lock the ground balance from old habits. The DFX ran more stable locked in my ground which does not vary much. I have not tried letting the V3i run in auto yet, maybe this weekend.

Mine has absolutely no problem whatsoever. Even if I am in a bad area full of trash I just try to find a spot that doesnt have a high vdi and lock trac in between iron targets. I honestly dont know how anyone can say that it should be the same from location to location. The ground and mineralization changes with every inch. If you get a slight change in tone when ground balancing within a couple feet that is not an issue at you do not know how much it is actually changing. If there was a problem there not only would you get serious falsing you would also see your signal diminished in the ground probe feature.

Why are people trying to find fault in this machine?:rolleyes:

I was with Magic and saw first hand what he is talking about. He was standing in one spot with a clean patch of dirt in front of him and ground balanced until the wooshing sound went quiet. He did not move from the spot, but just swung the coil around as far as he could reach searching and hitting targets. He only did it for about 10 seconds and went back to the clean patch in front of him and balanced again. The machine was out of balance as the wooshing sound was back as if he had never balanced to begin with.

I have checked my machine many times and it holds the balance. We both run in trac lock and both machines are V3i.

I'm not questioning Magic. He gave the same example. If he sends his in we would have an answer. Two detectors, the same, on the same spot, different results, sounds like a problem. Some other examples don't sound that way. Come on Doug send it in, you have the V3 and won't lose any detecting time.

Noise from Power Lines can be picked up by the circuit on most tracking detectors and cause them to mis-track, especially when your detector is not tuned correctly.

burlbark said:
Mine has absolutely no problem whatsoever. Even if I am in a bad area full of trash I just try to find a spot that doesnt have a high vdi and lock trac in between iron targets. I honestly dont know how anyone can say that it should be the same from location to location. The ground and mineralization changes with every inch. If you get a slight change in tone when ground balancing within a couple feet that is not an issue at you do not know how much it is actually changing. If there was a problem there not only would you get serious falsing you would also see your signal diminished in the ground probe feature.

I consider myself an experienced V3 user with over 10 years experience with four different White's detectors. Having logged more than 500 hours with the V3, I know the behavior characteristics. My updated V3 arrived last weekend and I have already used it for about 8 hours. The only site I have used it on is a site that I have been detecting since owning my first White's detector, so I am familiar with the ground conditions.

I am not in any way trying to find fault in the V3i, in fact the opposite is true. I try to overlook many things, chalking it up to user error. In fact, until I saw this post, I was just going to use Track Lock.

I am still not 100% convinced there is something wrong with the tracking, and if you read my original post I stated that I have only used the 950 coil. it is possible that my coil is bad. I won't know until try my D2 with it.

The symptoms are fairly simple to recognize. The threshold gets noticeably louder very quickly, and "lift-off" occurs. It is certainly not the same as the V3 prior to the upgrade, nor any other White's detector.

The questions are really these:
1) Is one of my settings causing the problem?
2) Is my coil bad?
3) Does the site have bad ground?

If all of these can be eliminated then it means that there is a fault in the Auto Trac ON MY UNIT.

Neil in West Jersey said:
burlbark said:

I consider myself an experienced V3 user with over 10 years experience with four different White's detectors. Having logged more than 500 hours with the V3, I know the behavior characteristics. My updated V3 arrived last weekend and I have already used it for about 8 hours. The only site I have used it on is a site that I have been detecting since owning my first White's detector, so I am familiar with the ground conditions.

I am not in any way trying to find fault in the V3i, in fact the opposite is true. I try to overlook many things, chalking it up to user error. In fact, until I saw this post, I was just going to use Track Lock.

I am still not 100% convinced there is something wrong with the tracking, and if you read my original post I stated that I have only used the 950 coil. it is possible that my coil is bad. I won't know until try my D2 with it.

The symptoms are fairly simple to recognize. The threshold gets noticeably louder very quickly, and "lift-off" occurs. It is certainly not the same as the V3 prior to the upgrade, nor any other White's detector.

The questions are really these:
1) Is one of my settings causing the problem?
2) Is my coil bad?
3) Does the site have bad ground?

If all of these can be eliminated then it means that there is a fault in the Auto Trac ON MY UNIT.

No harm, no foul.

Have you turned your SAT on or lowered its settings? I would certainly test that coil. I notice my d2 and 4x6 seem to lose null after sitting in the hot car and then bounce back after a little cooling down time. Coil test is a must. I have underground power wires here with aerials also. Not to mention traffic running by at 60mph, which does cause falsing. In fact my threshold is so stable with SAT all but turned off that I have felt comfortable turning the threshold volume all the way down. All I end up hearing are my 0-93 vdi numbers that are stepped progressively higher.

I found my oldest coin today. An 1876 5 cent Ore down 4" with a couple of inches of grass keeping the coil high, this was directly under a power pole and a an iron infested mess. This home has been here since around 1900 so I am happy with this find. I want older....:detecting:

Calnevaroy said:
rcasio44 said:

He said;

I'm having the same problem and notice it when I use the pinpoint mode--the threshold is gone and need to re-ground balance. I tried using Lock Trac but still have the problem. BTW, it did the same thing before I sent it in for the upgrade and sent all my coils along as well.
I tried my V3i (upgrade) in another park about a mile away and had no problems with Ground Balance or losing threshold in the All Metal VCO pinpoint mode. It did, however, freeze up and I had to shut it off and start up again. It did it again shortly afterwards. There just might be some sort of external interference that affects the V3i--just a guess. :confused:

We can only speculate on those questions Neil, I might suggest giving Sweet Home a call and ask the guys who knows a lot of answers to a lot of questions that we haven't even thought of yet.

Calnevaroy said:
[ It did, however, freeze up and I had to shut it off and start up again. It did it again shortly afterwards. There just might be some sort of external interference that affects the V3i--just a guess. :confused:

Every digital detector I have ever owned has frozen up at one time or another.

Neil in West Jersey said:
Calnevaroy said:
[ It did, however, freeze up and I had to shut it off and start up again. It did it again shortly afterwards. There just might be some sort of external interference that affects the V3i--just a guess. :confused:

Every digital detector I have ever owned has frozen up at one time or another.

Me too. Not often but mostly when going over big iron and during heavy triggering.

It happens to every computer. Drop the battery pack and get back to having fun.