Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gain and sensitivity questions

Bigtom123

I run my gain at 27 or 28,,,and my sensitivity at manual 20..when I bump my sens up to 22 or more I start reading the ground more and falsing..So,My question is,,is there any benefit of me dropping the gain down to say 18 or 20 and being able to run my sensitivity Upto 25 or better with no falsing?
Haven’t done this yet so figured I’d ask longtime users/tweakers....thanks for any info

A couple things to consider Tom...from a “tweaker”.
Firstly...Sensitivity is the setting that allows the signal “in” or not in the first place...
Secondly....Gain amplifies this signal once the machine has “let it in”...
The only thing that will actually get you more depth is....a bigger coil. There are diminishing returns on smaller coins when the coil gets stupid big(18x21 for example).
An FBS machine that is not stable is about as useless as a car with no steering wheel. Coins are round and are made of a very specific material that these machines are tuned for. Winding up the Sensitivity so that the audio is unintelligible is a HUGE backward step. Ask me how I know....

I kind cleaned up my notes a little that I keep on my E-Trac.

I don't have any secret settings but these seem to work pretty good for me. So if you guys see something that would work better let me know. I have been using these settings pretty much for the past year.

Hope somebody can find something that will do some good.

Ron in WV

Sensitivity = Minimum setting for max air testing depth for each coil.
5” coil = minimum sensitivity @26
8x6” coil = minimum sensitivity @27
11” stock coil = minimum sensitivity @25
13” coil = minimum sensitivity @27
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Threshold level = (20) barely audible for me, adjust Threshold Pitch first
Volume limit = (30)
Volume Gain = (19 up) with my hearing loss I am thinking higher is better and check the depth gauge for the deeper targets. I am running set at 25 now.
Response set for = (Normal), (Smooth), (Long) the manual says long may add some depth. Don’t think I would use (Pitch Hold)
Tone ID set for = Multi Tones, (1) tone, (2) tones. Just pick what you like 1, 2, 4 or multi tones
TTF, stands for 2 tone Ferrous
Sounds set for = (conductive), some say is best for coins. (Ferrous) some say is best for Relics and jewelry.
Variability = (30)
Limit = (30) Leave set at 30 but only works when tones are set to Multi.
Threshold Pitch = set first, (15) for me, once you get what you like don’t change this one it makes everything sound different
Deep = (off) in high iron trash, with low iron trash run on. Also deep ON slows the response speed down, more filtering. On=Better ID. On and off air tested the same. So off should get better separation.
Fast = (on) if the trash is real bad run this on. On=Filters off, off = filters on with better ID
Trash = (low)
Ground = Neutral or difficult, to pick which one run both in Auto Sensitivity and go with the one that gives the highest sensitivity number.
Noise Cancel = Run this manual between 2 thru 4. So I pick 2 or 3 the machine seems to run good at these numbers. For auto, run it several time and go with one it most hits on.

Notes:
Slow and low sweep, listen for repeat signals. I like the shorter mini strokes and push the grass down. Listen for any high tone (squeal), check depth, and then work the numbers. Note I found a 1919 penny, 3 silver dimes and 1962D silver quarter with the little coil at the park sled run at 6”+ and only had high tone, no repeatable ID numbers.
High tone one direction, low tone at 90 = iron