Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gamma or Omega??

I know this has been asked before. My head is just spinning on makin a decision. I would prefer to spend as little as possible. Everyone says if you want detector X why don't you just fork over another hundred for detector Z?? For only able to get out a few hrs a month I need to draw the line. Last detector owned was an Ace 250 which did well for me. Which leads me to believe the gamma would be a nice upgrade? I could get a gamma and pinpointer for a hair more than the omega alone. Any more info that can be provided I would appreciate it. Thanks.....Jim

Price being a part of your equation, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Gamma over the Omega. I have both and they are virtually equal on performance when using the same coil. "When using the same coil" is the sticky part because the two come standard with different coils. Actually both have unique features from the other and given your experience up to this point, I really don't think you'll strongly prefer one's features over the other. I've tested what I've said in the field many times and believe it to be true.

Thank you for the reply. I had planned ony a fisher f2 so either one of these will be a step up. Especially since the last detector I had was the ace 250. I was gonna buy asap but no reason to do so since the ground is frozen here. I will save a few more $ and keep reading up on these 2 models. Thanks again..

Any issues with the omega not having volume control? I do use headphones but on real hot days I might take them off.

I've not noticed the lack of volume control being an issue/problem with the phones I use at least (Troy's, Uniprobe by DP, Killer Bee's/Sunrays, etc) and my hearing is average. IF you have pretty bad hearing, and or sub-par phones, the pre-set volume of the high or 4th tone the high tone might be too modulated. I personally, love it just the way it is. Bad hearing can be a reason to go with the Gamma or even the Delta if the bucks don't materialize for a G6 or O8.

No problems with volume as like you said using headphones you can control the volume with them. It is plenty loud without headphones too even though there isn't an external adjustment.

Where in N.Y. are you may I ask?? I'm in the Lake George area myself lower Adirondacks, welcome.

If you really could I would save and get the Omega8000 and the small and large coil combo with it and you'll never need another detector for years really it's worth it. I picked one up last fall with the 3 coil combo from Bart on here and liked it a lot and so I also got the G2 from Bart here. Both are really light, full of features and easy to adjust.

Had the 8000 then purchased the 6000. I absolutely loved the 6000 so much, I sold the 8000. My 6000 will air depth a coin at 12" at about 80% sens. I think it is better than the 8000 because it is about 6 oz and has a volume control. I also purchased a 4000 for my son and am still amazed at that little unit. I think the "Greek" series are the biggest sleepers in the metal detecting industry. I even think my 6000 is 95% (maybe 100%) of my old F75 in depth!

Rob (Middle Tennessee)

rob said:
Had the 8000 then purchased the 6000. I absolutely loved the 6000 so much, I sold the 8000. My 6000 will air depth a coin at 12" at about 80% sens. I think it is better than the 8000 because it is about 6 oz and has a volume control. I also purchased a 4000 for my son and am still amazed at that little unit. I think the "Greek" series are the biggest sleepers in the metal detecting industry. I even think my 6000 is 95% (maybe 100%) of my old F75 in depth!

Rob (Middle Tennessee)

Thanks. I have seen some who prefer the 6000. I have also seen some good words on that delta. To many choices!

rob said:

Rob (Middle Tennessee)

You know, I'm noticing the same thing when comparing my newly acquired Gamma to the Omega. I'm also liking the 8 inch coil that comes stock on the Gamma. It pinpoints great and the depth is really fantastic. The Gamma with the 8 coil feels as light and as well balanced as my Tesoro Compadre does. Seriously!!! I haven't tried it yet with the 11 inch DD coil to see how it feels and to see what kind of depth it would get using the bigger coil.

I'm really liking this Gamma a lot.:)

tabman

hammer0419 said:
Thanks for the info. Really makin the decision harder and harder! Ha

Choice A Gamma & ProPointer

Choice B Omega

I'd pick choice A in a heart beat. With that combination I could find enough coins in no time at all to pay for a 5 & 11 DD coils.

Check with one of the sponsors, I bet you that they would make you a great package deal if you ordered both at the same time.

tabman

Exactly my thoughts as well. I was all set to rush into a purchase but winter is far from over so I have plenty of time to save?

Just to add more confusion. I think the elongated concentric coil that comes stock on the Omega is superior to the round concentric of the Gamma.. Its shape is more conducive to getting between targets than the round shape.

Just save up and buy once, buy right, with no regrets later right!! You have several more months so there isn't any rush. Look around on here and on the dealers sites for a great used bargain and save some more $$ then you could get a 3 coil combo and a Pro Pinpointer too. Seen one or two of them for sale here also I think I did.

EtracTom-AdirondacksNY said:
Just save up and buy once, buy right, with no regrets later right!! You have several more months so there isn't any rush. Look around on here and on the dealers sites for a great used bargain and save some more $$ then you could get a 3 coil combo and a Pro Pinpointer too. Seen one or two of them for sale here also I think I did.

Yeah I. Am done contemplating. I am gonna get the Omega. I have detected on and off for 30 years with several detectors. None however as nice as the Omega. Though my IDX PRO I had souped up by Mr.Bill was just crazy deep!!