Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garbage signal? Better think twice!

BHNugget

At least thats what I learned today.Detecting at an old school thats under construction to become a administrative building,I got a signal Ive seen so many times before.You know the ones,19-20 VDI,one green line on the spectragraph the others red....:pulltab:! I cant even tell you why I decided to dig it,other than just because.So I chopped at the hard (very hard) ground half heartedly with the Lesche expecting at any time to spear a piece of pulltab or aluminum shred when out popped a coin flying in the air just like it was used in a coin toss.At first I thought it was a token,like the ones perchdoctor is always showing off to me.:biggrin: Then I made out a date of 1887 and knew otherwise.An 1887 V nickel! I couldnt believe it.The coin is one year older than the town it was found in and was originally founded to cater to a nearby US Calvary fort.It was only 13 years earlier that Custer made his famed expedition through the Black hills.The 1917 and 1935 wheats were just icing! I have a strange feeling I'll be digging a lot more pulltabs.:biggrin:
The nickel is pretty worn,will a tumbler with walnut clean this up OK?

Wow BH your the Man, Mic

Nice one! :clapping:

I've seen more than one nickel with a red line or two on the spectragraph. If it's a steady 19 or 20 VDI, I dig.

No I didnt flip to analyze Jimmy,Im confused enough on the pulltab/gold signals,so when Im away from known picnic areas I try to dig everything.I did notice that when the coin was in the ground that while the 22.5 frequency was staying in the green,the 7.5 frequency which was red most of the time was the last to fade off the spectragraph.After I recovered the coin I thought it was kind of odd that the 7.5 frequency was staying red most of the time,but was the last to fade.Any ideas on why this was?

Great Find !!!. Lately I have been digging a lot of +53-+54 signals that come in deep .I have found a bunch of Wheaties and two silver dimes this way. My deepest dime was at 8 inches in sandy moderate soil using the 10

BHNugget said:
...I got a signal Ive seen so many times before.You know the ones,19-20 VDI,one green line on the spectragraph the others red....:pulltab:!

You're right about one thing -- that trash signal might not be trash! I had a very similar experience to yours tonight -- got a signal that hovered around 19 or 20, but was a bit bouncy, some red in the spectragraph, etc. Analyze mode was jagged and inconclusive. I thought sure it was a pulltab, but since I wasn't finding much anyway, I dug. Four inches down was a 1946 Jefferson nickel. Check the hole again, it's not empty ... another three inches and there's a 1912 V nickel! Check again and now it's empty -- no pulltabs, just two nickels, including my first ever V nickel. (I'm not certain of the date, it's 191x, the last digit is still hard to read, pretty worn.)

Just cleaned a couple of old nickels and really happy with the way they turned out. Search my posts and you will find the process. Hope this helps

Nice find - good you didn't let it go.
Many times an iffy can be just junk but then there are times the iffy pays off.

Last year I was throwing away the junk in the pouch. Just when I was about to sweep it from the table to the can, something caught the wife's eyeballs and she snagged a crusty washer. She cleaned it up some in the kitchen sink. It was a neat token, the kind with a hole in it. I wonder how many I could have thrown away in the past. If I don't see any identifying marks etc, usually goes in the trash. Now dirty washers get a quick second look over - ya never know.