Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garmin 60cs ,need help?

tvanwho

I bought a Garmin 60 CS color screen GPS.Its a bit better than past units I have had but my major problem seems to be , I cannot enter GPS coordinates from a map and have the unit take me to the spot? According to the owners manual, this is only possible if I go to a Geocaching website and download coordinates via my USB cable? Isn't there someway to maually enter the Latitude and Longitude in degrees, minutes, seconds as a Waypoint and be directed there?
Also, I wasted a lot of time and gas on my last treasure hunting trip getting lost, back tracking, looking thru paper maps, getting lost again. I think I am in serious need of a dash moounted GPs with a decent size color screen and idiot proof for under ,like $350.Is there such a unit? Any suggestions would be appreciated?
Also, can I load topo maps into my Garmin? It does have 56 meg of memory and USB. If I could do this and the maps showed GPS numbers, I would be in heaven?
Thanks--Tom,in Illinois,email at tvanwho@yahoo.com

To create a waypoint at co-ordinates that you want:
Press Enter key and hold till the "Mark Waypoint" page shows. Using the arrow keys, scroll to the location field, press enter and edit the co-ordinates to whatever you like.

This unit can be loaded with Garmin MapSource maps or with maps specifically made to be compatible with Garmin receivers. For you, Topo USA would be (I think) the right map - see http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topo.jsp

Since you already have a Garmin receiver, I'd stick with Garmin for a road oriented unit so the maps could be shared between the two units. I don't know exact pricing of various receivers so, you're on your own here.

If you know the coords just hit the "mark" button anytime and scroll up to the coords and change them to the ones you want and save, then go to find/waypoints and select the one you just made.

If you get Garmin City Select your gps will give you turn by turn direction to a waypoint, letting you know of upcoming turns even. With 56 megs I have all of northern WI, MN, and upper MI on mine and am only up to about 32 megs with topo and city select maps on there, you can load both kind. Your area might be more info so it could be larger.