Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garmin 76Csx

coinnut

Hi, Have been using my Garmin for about a year now and wonder if anyone has experienced this problem with any high end GPS. Under a fairly heavy canopy, I notice that my built in compass has a very difficult time telling me north. I have went in and calibrated it and it has not helped. If I look at the long/ lat numbers, they are dead on. If I go with the directional pointer, it's off by a little to almost the exact opposite of my intended target. I have to use a secondary compass and quickly spin my gps around before the screen adjust to match the GPS north symbol with the direction my good compass points to north. This is then accurate. Anybody have this built in compass issue?? Thanks - George

The key to getting accurate readings with the electronic compass is; you have to hold the unit level when you calibrate it and when you use it. It's natural for users to tip the unit for easier screen reading but that causes large inaccuracies in compass readings.

Hi, Thanks for that info. I'll try and recalibrate it and try it against my compass. First I've heard of that. Thanks again

I know that nobody like to read manuals but... when it comes to more complex electronics, it does pay to read it at least once. I do mean read it - just browsing through it will cause to miss or misinterpret some of the functionality. Do you know, for example, about the "sight and go" the 76 CSx offers?

I must admit that I am one of those people that can't read dry material for a long time. But after hearing about the compass calibration requirements and now the sight and go? function, I'll have to focus and read the manual at bedtime. It will probably make for some interesting dreams!! Thanks, George