Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garmin Oregon GPS & Minelab X-Terra Setup

eauman

Just thought I'd share a photo of my Garmin GPS & xterra setup inspired by the functionality of the new CTX 3030! The GPS is connected using a RAM mount & the setup is useful when out in the bush here in Australia!

Thats a cool setup, I think the Oregon is the ideal GPS for detectorists

I love mine, brilliant bit of kit. :thumbup:

Les :ukflag:

Well it's true that I can look at the GPS & detector screen at same time which can't be done on a CTX :) but as mounting was so simple thought I'd share. The Oregon is a good GPS available at a good price now I believe with the launch of the Montana & my previous Garmin 60csx was a good unit too, but the Oregon is a little more compact for detecting & has more features for my mountain bike & geocaching activities!

What I meant by beating the functionality was; with Oregon you do away with all three (IMHO) biggest shortcomings of the CTX GPS.
1. You don't need pen and paper or whatever additional tool to relate your find to a place. CTX forces a name on you and you have to remember (or write down) what you actualy found at each find point. With Oregon, you can name waypoints at will and add a comment describing your find.
2. You don't have 100 findpoint limitation.
3. You can manage your track records on the spot so; you can restart your "geohunt" at any time and see the area you already covered.
OTOH
Your set-up does not allow to automaticaly save find parameters - you have to manually input them into the waypoint comment.

would the garmin Oregon 450 be able to add maps to it and would it be good for detecting? does it have all the features that we detectorists need? I don't want to get one and find out that there is some feature that would be of great use for detecting and find out that this one doesn't have it.
thanks