Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

garrett apex or simplex

which one would you choose. thanks
'clad king' You didn't describe the uses for a new-to-you detector, but by your handle it would suggest you're into urban Coin Hunting. Since late '71/'72 I have always maintained at least two or three detectors in my personal outfit, and usually more than that. I like to have a complement of models and coil for different applications and site challenges. In answer to your question I have one Minelab, one older White's favorite, my two favorite Tesoro's and two relic Hunting tough iron Nokta detectors plus one Fisher. As for the two models you asked about the reference to 'two' is fitting because I own and use 2 Apex and 2 Simplex + units.

I don't swim nor live close to an active beach, but I have been caught in some showers and for those I like the waterproof Simplex +. The standard 11" DD o the Simplex + works well, but my main-use coil is on my regular-carry Simplex + and that is the 5X9½ DD. The Apex came with the only coil available, then, and that's the 6X11 DD which, to my surprise, has been working pretty well. However new coils were announced and I'll bet their 5X8 'Ripper' DD is going to be my regular-carry, main-use coil. My other Apex is going to likely keep either the 8½X11 'Raider' coil at-the-ready or the 5" DD from NEL. I'll have to get those coils and give them a fair workout in some challenging sites to know, but one of those will likely complement the Garrett 5X8 'Ripper.'

Since I own and use both the detectors you asked about, they both are working well and I have no desire to part with either of them. Thee's no 'perfect' detector so I just enjoy the strengths of any detector I have in my Daily-Use Team that travel with me. If you have specific questions regarding both or either of those models it would be easier for readers to offer up some help.

Monte

I own many detectors, the Simplex + and the Apex are among them. I live on the Treasure Coast in Florida, so the Apex is king on wet salt beaches among the two models. No comparison there. If I am hunting for relics inland, I prefer the Simplex over the Apex. I have others that I prefer over both of those two on other occasions. You can only have one wife, so get as many detectors as you can! :)