Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett ATX

Night Crawler

I just looked at the new ATX video on You Tube from Garrett. I like a lot of the features, but I'm wondering if Garrett isn't rushing this out the door a bit to quickly. Myself, I don't like Military Green for civilian use. I relate the AT Series to Black in color (but that's just me).

It would be nice to see some Garrett "In House" videos out in the field with this machine. The "Sneak Peek" video shows different users using this machine in different conditions, I would like to hear what they have to say now that the Cat is out of the bag sort of speak.

Honestly, I'm going to sit back on this one and wait for more reviews to come in before forking out that kind of money for it and I think their making a mistake here trying to compete with other companies and pricing it in the same range as theirs without any history to this machine (civilian wise). Big mistake in my opinion.

If anyone would like to chime in here and give their opinions on the new ATX, I would be very interested in what you have to say.

Thanks.

:)

Well, it's not going to fit into my budget for quite a while, so I'll have plenty of time to follow the reviews. I like the compactness and straight shaft. I'm getting ready to hit some new sites that I'll mountain bike into (just a few miles in) - I can stuff one my AT's into a daypack and milk crate on the back of the bike, but it would be great to have a more compact setup. Then again, maybe I'll pull a 'mudpuppy' and have cash to burn! :super:

yep price bit high i was hoping for something a step up from at pro and at gold more salt water friendly to fill in on some of the gold and pro,s weak spots maybe 800 to 900 dollar price range i mite have sold my explorer to tri a unit like that out

I'm just really on the fence on this one, so I really appreciate the opinions so far.

kraykepler said:
It looks just like their older recon unit.
It does, doesn't it (older recon unit).
I'm not fond of the green either, I think this color should be laid to rest for civilian use (but that's just me).

William-NM said:
Well, it's not going to fit into my budget for quite a while, so I'll have plenty of time to follow the reviews. I like the compactness and straight shaft. I'm getting ready to hit some new sites that I'll mountain bike into (just a few miles in) - I can stuff one my ATs into a day-pack and milk crate on the back of the bike, but it would be great to have a more compact setup.
The compactness and telescopic straight shaft is a real strong point for me as well. I like the option of a carrying bag or hard case to transport it.

teleman2525 said:
yep price bit high i was hoping for something a step up from at pro and at gold more salt water friendly to fill in on some of the gold and pro,s weak spots maybe 800 to 900 dollar price range i mite have sold my explorer to tri a unit like that out
I was hoping for the same thing (1500-1700) range. I think this unit better part the red sea because my AT Pro almost does that (well "almost", hehe).

I guess what I'm trying to say here, is my AT Pro does very well in all of the conditions in my area. I'm digging 12-13" holes (at times) just for small lead shot. So how much deeper will this ATX go compared to that? I don't know if anyone has noticed, but digging down that deep (12-13") is a lot of work (for me anyways), hehe.

I'm very happy with my Black AT Pro, so if their is going to be any more additions to my metal detector collection (which will be a Garrett), at 4 times the price ($2495.00 MSRP) from the AT Pro price, I am just not seeing 4 times the value in it. That's why I really appreciate other peoples opinions here. Maybe I'm over looking something, and if I am, please let me know.

Thanks.

Night Crawler said:
I'm just really on the fence on this one, so I really appreciate the opinions so far.

kraykepler said:
It looks just like their older recon unit.
It does, doesn't it (older recon unit).
I'm not fond of the green either, I think this color should be laid to rest for civilian use (but that's just me).

William-NM said:
Well, it's not going to fit into my budget for quite a while, so I'll have plenty of time to follow the reviews. I like the compactness and straight shaft. I'm getting ready to hit some new sites that I'll mountain bike into (just a few miles in) - I can stuff one my ATs into a day-pack and milk crate on the back of the bike, but it would be great to have a more compact setup.
The compactness and telescopic straight shaft is a real strong point for me as well. I like the option of a carrying bag or hard case to transport it.

teleman2525 said:
I was hoping for the same thing (1500-1700) range. I think this unit better part the red sea because my AT Pro almost does that (well "almost", hehe).

I guess what I'm trying to say here, is my AT Pro does very well in all of the conditions in my area. I'm digging 12-13" holes (at times) just for small lead shot. So how much deeper will this ATX go compared to that? I don't know if anyone has noticed, but digging down that deep (12-13") is a lot of work (for me anyways), hehe.

I'm very happy with my Black AT Pro, so if their is going to be any more additions to my metal detector collection (which will be a Garrett), at 4 times the price ($2495.00 MSRP) from the AT Pro price, I am just not seeing 4 times the value in it. That's why I really appreciate other peoples opinions here. Maybe I'm over looking something, and if I am, please let me know.

Thanks.

ATX is not meant to compete with At Pro in the field, unless you are using the ATP to dig for gold nuggets, or using it in the salt water, although the ATP can do that to an extent. PI vs VFL.

Hi Roscue2

I use my AT Pro for mostly Relic hunting and some nugget shooting. Your right about separating the VLF from the PI metal detectors as they are different beasts all together.

I have never owned a PI unit and why I was interested in this one from Garrett. I really like the features it has, but the color, is a whole different story. Garrett made a big leap forward with the AT Series and made a color change (from Garrett Green to Black) to show that chapter change and technical change with their company and why the AT Series is now their best sellers (and Black to reflect that). So why go back to Green of "any kind"?

I don't know about other peoples opinions and why I asked for them here. If I can see an advantage to this PI unit I will seriously consider it as it would be a good compliment to my new collection (even in Military Green).

Thanks for everyone's opinions so far, please keep them coming to help this confused person out, hehe.

they didnt go back to free. they are using the military issued recon pro unit which has been out for awhile. look how much money they are saving by using a housing that is already out and proven effective in the field. One thing is for sure, with it being military spec it should be tough as nails and not suffer from leaking issues and stuff like the early AT models suffered. Honestly I like it in the military green though and I got a sweet deal on a recon pro locally. I am gonna pick up this coming weekend and play with it awhile before even thinking about the atx. it looks to me like everything on them is interchangeable and it seems member old california thinks the recon is a pretty formidable pi machine itself. I just wonder how much actual difference there is between the two machines because they look identical besides the faceplate decal. Even the buttons are in the same locations....

Night Crawler said:
Hi Roscue2

I use my AT Pro for mostly Relic hunting and some nugget shooting. Your right about separating the VLF from the PI metal detectors as they are different beasts all together.

I have never owned a PI unit and why I was interested in this one from Garrett. I really like the features it has, but the color, is a whole different story. Garrett made a big leap forward with the AT Series and made a color change (from Garrett Green to Black) to show that chapter change and technical change with their company and why the AT Series is now their best sellers (and Black to reflect that). So why go back to Green of "any kind"?

I don't know about other peoples opinions and why I asked for them here. If I can see an advantage to this PI unit I will seriously consider it as it would be a good compliment to my new collection (even in Military Green).

Thanks for everyone's opinions so far, please keep them coming to help this confused person out, hehe.

Night Crawler said:
Hi Roscue2

I think the reason for the olive drab green choice is pretty clear,to me , at least. They have been building and selling the Recon Pro detector to the military for a few years as a countermine detector. They already have these machines in the shop. Why have a whole other line of the same thing in a different color. Probably much more cost effective o just make a new sticker( which they did) and slap it on the machines they were already producing(which they are). I mean look at the Recon Pro and the ATX. Same detector with a few tweaks.
I was hoping for something to compete with the Minelab GPX at a more affordable price. Maybe it can't be done.

sorry for spelling.. it should read they didnt go back to green.

SavingThePast said:
they didnt go back to free. they are using the military issued recon pro unit which has been out for awhile. look how much money they are saving by using a housing that is already out and proven effective in the field. One thing is for sure, with it being military spec it should be tough as nails and not suffer from leaking issues and stuff like the early AT models suffered. Honestly I like it in the military green though and I got a sweet deal on a recon pro locally. I am gonna pick up this coming weekend and play with it awhile before even thinking about the atx. it looks to me like everything on them is interchangeable and it seems member old california thinks the recon is a pretty formidable pi machine itself. I just wonder how much actual difference there is between the two machines because they look identical besides the faceplate decal. Even the buttons are in the same locations....

Am I missing something ???

What does it do better / differently than the Infinium in true performance terms?

It's been touted as the successor to the Infinium at twice the price........tell me I'm missing something....:stretcher:

Tony.

Night Crawler said:
Hi Roscue2

True, they should have changed the color. At least a different shade of green.

Tony said:

What does it do better / differently than the Infinium in true performance terms?

It's been touted as the successor to the Infinium at twice the price........tell me I'm missing something....:stretcher:

Tony.

Well who touted it? Garrett, or someone from the forum that was guessing? It will definitely not replace the Infinium, not with only 10 ft depth. The wait will continue.

I am new to your forum so here is my first comment and opinion

As a dealer and business man I think Garrett did what I would have done if I were the owner of Garrett metal detectors.
Far as the color Garrett has used green since the begining, If as a business an I already had the basic design an look already in my inventory
it would be used as a starting point. Because the AML-1000 is a pulse machine and the New ATX is a pulse machine
for an engineers stand point you don't have to start from scratch in desiging a new machine. Just as the AT Pro was out first
which lead to the AT Gold coming out. There again was excellent business since. To stay in business you need to keep new machines
coming on the market to compete with the rest manufactures. The AT Pro in my opion was an excellent metal detector in its price range.
In fact as a Dealer's and water hunter's stand point, was one metal detector if worked I could have a passion for. I was not disappointed. When
I can find white gold rings and dig very few pull tabs( I did a couple of tests) was a winner for me.

Because I am moving into a new area of metal detecting (finding caches) I believe Garrett has come through for me again with the ATX.
I do agree that it is a lot of money$$$, but if the ATX really will do what I'm hoping for the price will not be an issue. I have never thought
a metal detector was a bad investment( ATX will be a large investment)

Here are the uses I have in mind when I get the ATX is I'll use to Hunt a couple of beaches in my area ( in Iowa) as the sand is deep. Finding brass survey
markers that are 2 to 3 feet deep, old out houses, locating septic tanks and other large matellic items (farm equipment ) and of coarse use it
to find Caches. Will also be using it in some buildings if the machine will let me. Found out from Garrett today Coils for the ATX and the Re Con AML-1000
mine detector will not interchange. Sorry for the long comment

Well I better get the AT Pro out I got to find a dozen or 2 gold rings so I can get me an ATX. Let me know if I was not suppose to put links to the AT X
on this post.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/pdfs/garrett_atx_introducing_lowres.pdf

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_garrett_atx_video.aspx

WoofWoof said:
A) Price would be a serious consideration
B) 5 1/2 pounds makes the decision easier, ain't no way
Price for sure is a consideration for me and it is a bit of a beast weight wise.
Thanks for your comment. :)

SavingThePast said:
they didn't go back to free. they are using the military issued recon pro unit which has been out for awhile. look how much money they are saving by using a housing that is already out and proven effective in the field. One thing is for sure, with it being military spec it should be tough as nails and not suffer from leaking issues and stuff like the early AT models suffered. Honestly I like it in the military green though and I got a sweet deal on a recon pro locally. I am gonna pick up this coming weekend and play with it awhile before even thinking about the atx. it looks to me like everything on them is interchangeable and it seems member old california thinks the recon is a pretty formidable pi machine itself. I just wonder how much actual difference there is between the two machines because they look identical besides the faceplate decal. Even the buttons are in the same locations....
Military Spec. is a definite plus build wise. Is it saving money? or Skimping? I liked Military Green in the army. I wonder what the difference is between the two (recon pro/atx). I would really like to hear what you think of the recon pro when you get it and use it for awhile STP. Thanks.:)

BootyHunter said:
I think the reason for the olive drab green choice is pretty clear,to me , at least. They have been building and selling the Recon Pro detector to the military for a few years as a countermine detector. They already have these machines in the shop. Why have a whole other line of the same thing in a different color. Probably much more cost effective o just make a new sticker( which they did) and slap it on the machines they were already producing(which they are). I mean look at the Recon Pro and the ATX. Same detector with a few tweaks.
I was hoping for something to compete with the Minelab GPX at a more affordable price. Maybe it can't be done.
That's the word "drab" hehe. It looks tough enough. I was hoping for something a bit lowerr in price as well. Thanks for the input BH. :)

Tony said:

Tony.
I'm hoping for some in field reviews to show up to see what advantages their are with the ATX. Thanks for the input.:)

Roscue2 said:
True, they should have changed the color. At least a different shade of green.
It would be nice to see a touch of black added to the color just to show a bit of difference between the recon pro that's been out for a few years and the new atx. When a customer is shelling out that kind of money for a metal detector, I'm sure (as myself) they want to see something new (or at least different). But that's just me I guess. Thanks Roscue2 for your input here.

cachefinder said:
I am new to your forum so here is my first comment and opinion

As a dealer and business man I think Garrett did what I would have done if I were the owner of Garrett metal detectors.
Far as the color Garrett has used green since the begining, If as a business an I already had the basic design an look already in my inventory
it would be used as a starting point. Because the AML-1000 is a pulse machine and the New ATX is a pulse machine
for an engineers stand point you don't have to start from scratch in desiging a new machine. Just as the AT Pro was out first
which lead to the AT Gold coming out. There again was excellent business since. To stay in business you need to keep new machines
coming on the market to compete with the rest manufactures. The AT Pro in my opion was an excellent metal detector in its price range.
In fact as a Dealer's and water hunter's stand point, was one metal detector if worked I could have a passion for. I was not disappointed. When
I can find white gold rings and dig very few pull tabs( I did a couple of tests) was a winner for me.

Because I am moving into a new area of metal detecting (finding caches) I believe Garrett has come through for me again with the ATX.
I do agree that it is a lot of money$$$, but if the ATX really will do what I'm hoping for the price will not be an issue. I have never thought
a metal detector was a bad investment( ATX will be a large investment)

Here are the uses I have in mind when I get the ATX is I'll use to Hunt a couple of beaches in my area ( in Iowa) as the sand is deep. Finding brass survey
markers that are 2 to 3 feet deep, old out houses, locating septic tanks and other large matellic items (farm equipment ) and of coarse use it
to find Caches. Will also be using it in some buildings if the machine will let me. Found out from Garrett today Coils for the ATX and the Re Con AML-1000
mine detector will not interchange. Sorry for the long comment

Well I better get the AT Pro out I got to find a dozen or 2 gold rings so I can get me an ATX. Let me know if I was not suppose to put links to the AT X
on this post.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/pdfs/garrett_atx_introducing_lowres.pdf

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_garrett_atx_video.aspx

Thanks Cachefinder for your input. Yeh, I'm heading out tomorrow with my AT Pro and do some relic hunting, time for a rest on this subject, I'll just sit back and see what transpires over the next couple of months.

Thanks everyone who responded here for your input, it was greatly appreciated .

I was hoping for an FBS machine with ATP characteristics. Why does one manufacturer have the market cornered on the FBS technology? I've competed with it and it will out perform single,double or third frequency models almost every time.

Grunter said:
I was hoping for an FBS machine with ATP characteristics. Why does one manufacturer have the market cornered on the FBS technology? I've competed with it and it will out perform single,double or third frequency models almost every time.

Now that would have been a nice feature, but steve herschbach said it best, "patents".

I gave myself a headache with all the questions I asked here about the ATX, I think my last surviving gerbil in my head is maxed out right now so I'll leave the FBS/BBS stuff alone for now.

It's time to take a couple of aspirins and my Geritol and go to bed, Good Night.