Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett engineers and development people and management

Terry in PA

Does any of the people from Garrett look at this forum ? If so why don't they stop in and post something every now and then like Dave Johnson does on the fisher forum ? Would be nice to hear what they have to say.

Very good question.
I would send the suggestion directly to Mr.Garrett or
his son. It's a GOOD question worth considering. There are
only a couple of people at Garrett customer service that seem
to know anything anyway. It would be nice if they chimed in here
from time to time.
EXCELLENT QUESTION!!!!
Robt2300

Why should the engineers post on the forum? The have a life outside of designing metal detecting detectors/components. Garrett has their own marketing department and a lot of long time Garrett users who gladly give information to help others.....it's not a one person do it all kind of a company.

I agree with John. From what I have read over the yrs, there are some engineers in the md industry who do not have anything to do with mds in their off time, just like in every other industry.

I've been using Garrett detectors for the past 25 years and have been a long time forum user. But I don't think I've ever seen anyone from Garrett post here. That's why I ask the question. Not that I would expect anyone to be on here trying to fix problems or anything like that. I thought it would be nice to hear from someone from Garrett every now and then.Guess my question must have been stated the wrong way.

Gee...I re-read my post and it does sound a tad bit blunt. My first thought I had after you asked the question was if I ever go on forums related to my day work as an ortho RN, and the immediate answer was heck no! I metal detect to get away from that type of work. I figured most people tend to NOT go to their line of work on line after work for the same reasons. Not everyone uses a computer to the extent that a lot of us do, including myself. Why the others at Garrett don't participate on the forums? I don't have an answer. Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and other big brands don't have their key people spend time on the forums either. Why Dave Johnson does is beyond me.:shrug:

As long as you spend your money on their so called detectors, why should they, they cry all the way to the bank. Father like son, two peas in a pot...

To RELIC HUNTER
Just so John doesn't have to sound blunt again, I'll respond. "So called detectors"? Sounds like you have issues and a bit of a chip on your shoulder. "Father, like son"? Really? Have heard nothing but good things about the Garretts, their products and their service. Peas in a "pod" are always alike but those in a "pot" are usually boiled. If you have a problem deal with it, don't be a whiner.

I am sure what happens on the forums gets noticed. I do think in the 21st century a company that does not directly engage its customers through social media is missing a bet. A little surprising coming from Garrett, which is one of the better marketers in the industry.

Regardless of all that the people at Garrett are good folks. I look forward to whatever they have up their sleeves for us next!

I have no problem contacting the people at the factory via email. I think a prime example is what happened to another company (name withheld) where the person involved let a future metal detector possibility get out and caused upset among posters and problems with the company's image. The best dialogue is amongst users where company bias doesn't normally enter. I mean, is a Garrett representative gonna have a dim view of one of their detectors? I appreciated Dave's responses on the Tracker IV, but I often wondered how the company felt because they wouldn't, in his words, improve the detector. So much to consider, that if I was a tech, I don't think I would wanna post.

As a newbie here, I'm not in the position to profess to be an expert on this subject.
The following are my own thoughts on the matter although I overheard a couple of detectorist recently discussing the Garretts.

I believe Charles Garrett deserves a break; he after-all, put in all the hard yacka to get a private company going that produced a world class detector. I'm more than grateful for that. I have never bought a Garrett detector that over time hasn't paid for itself.

Since I started detecting, I have been aging at a rate of 60 seconds per minute. Unfortunately, so has Charles Garrett. I firmly believe at his age (no negativity intended) he should be able to sit back & enjoy the fruits of his labour. Sure, I would like to see some changes to some of the Garrett detectors - a backlight in the AT series & notch discrimination in the AT Gold for example.

I also believe & I may be wrong, that Shaun doesn't have the say in the company that he also deserves. I believe there may be other people with their own agenda working behind the scenes - maybe to "take over" & list the company on the stock exchange. These are just my thoughts. I also believe that in the near future, we will be hearing something big from Garrett. (The company)

Like I said, these are just my thoughts - I can't imagine a small private company doing all the hard work all those years ago, sitting on their backsides now & letting other companies "outperform" them.

What are your thoughts.

DJay

Maybe they should have someone from marketing show a presence in the forum. They could let us know (possibly) what is coming down the pipe. It would also be good for them to become aware of our problems and wish lists.

HendersonHunter said:
Maybe they should have someone from marketing show a presence in the forum. They could let us know (possibly) what is coming down the pipe. It would also be good for them to become aware of our problems and wish lists.

Most companies do not want their products being known of until their release date. As for problems, I am sure they know of many of the problems with their products through people contacting them directly.

Hi I'm new to the forum. I'm based in the UK

Just like to say I have used a few Garrett machines over the years and have arrived at the conclusion that the machines are very well built and last for years without any problems.

I use a AT Pro International along side a XP Deus and at the moment the Garrett is beating the XP hands down.

In a 4 week period the garrett found 8 silver plus 2 roman coins and the Deus 1 roman and 1 silver. All from the same fields.

Been detecting for 20 years and used many machines ie Minelab, whites, Tesoro, Garrett, XP and Fisher.

I think they are all good but at the moment the Garrett AT Pro is the best of the bunch! Great machine, deep and fast recovery.

If detector engineer or designer dont use detector in the field, they will never produce good metal detector. Simple example bad design is New Garrett ATX coil connection not in the coil center, most photos with this detector in the field coil front looks up- resulting in loss off depth! The same with military Garrett REcon made for clearing Mines!!! Or Garrett Pro pointer coil construction- very easy to brake under minimum pressure! not good Garrett. Or minelab CTX battery construction with bad seal design!. This all very simple examples when designers make what they dont understand because they dont use product in the field and participate in forums where most the answers are.

More than likely, the engineers are busy keeping up with demands of product deadlines etc. As far as we all know they may be testing new designs or new revision of the hardware. In the electronic industry things move fast really fast and to stay competitive you have to be on top of your game. So they may be too busy to bother with the forums.

I work as a computer engineer testing software 24 - 7 and I love computers, but when I get home about the last thing I want to do is sit in front of a computer again. When its not too cold// rainy outside I go metal detecting because its fairly mindless for me and gives me relaxation. My point here is that the Garrett engineers may not have an interest in metal detecting at all, but simply in the electronics behind the detector. If they do like to metal detect then that is awesome, but I don't see that for all of them.

That being said it would be nice if some customer representative would post on the forums every so often to let us know a little bit about the company/ what they are doing and relay that to their engineering department.