Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett Freedom 2 Coin Commander

C E Stricklin

I have had this detector for several years. I bought it new when Garrett first introduced it. It has served me well over the years with numerous good finds. Lately I have only used it as a backup detector and as a loaner to novice detector want-a-bees as it is very easy to use "turn on and go at the factory recommended settings" allowing newcomers success without a difficult learning process. Now it is acting up. It works fine in both discriminate 1 and discriminate 2 modes. However, it does not work at all in the all metal zero motion pinpoint mode. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

My new Pro Pointer arrived today and it is every bit as good as I had hoped!!!

No suggestions on problem ,but sent my freedom 2 plus to garretts and they put 3 electrical whatevers in it ,as good as new. minimal cost,great service

call Brad at Garrett he'll fix you up. It may just be the rocker switch.. I had the same detector and sold it... and regretted it... I bought a Freedom II Plus later and still use it....

If you decide not to send it in for repair.. you can still pinpoint using the "X" pattern..

Hi C.E,

I wonder if you could help with something.

I have just got a Freedom 2 which is in very good condition and all seems to work fine.

One thing I don't quite understand. When the disc 1 and disc 2 are set at factory settings ie white arrows it sounds/beeps on an awful lot of signals and when dug they are mostly iron nails. Does the F2 still sound on ferrous when discriminating and do I have to listen for the clean punchy signals?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Yes, the only bad feature I have found is that it does respond to rusty iron nails even if notched out. It really drove me nuts until I finally learned the slightly different sound they make. Not quite as mellow, more of a harsh sound. Sometimes they give a double beep if near the surface. It helps some to turn the sensitivity(depth) down. Yesterday after work I took mine equipped with the deepseeker super sniper coil to an old home site. This location is in a plowed field and I have been searching it since the crops were harvested last fall with another brand detector and have made some good finds. It was just replanted and I was hoping to hunt between the crop rows with the small coil. I finally gave up after just two good finds, too many rusty iron nails even though I now know their sound and don't dig them, I still had to hear them when the coil passed over. This detector is better for locations without an abundance of rusty iron nails. I have been detecting since the early 1960's and the only gold coin, a 1911, two and half dollar Indian head quarter eagle, I found with this detector. It was found on an old stagecoach road.

I used to own a freedom 2 years back. I sold it and regretted it. The gut I sold it to wouldn't sell it back. So, I bought a Freedom 2 Plus. There is an old fairgrounds that I used to hunt.... before the property was purchased and developed. It had been used farming 50 -60 years after it was a fairground. 98% of the silver found there was Barber. I only found found a couple of Merc's there. There area was so trashy, wires nails, cartridges from a shooting gallery that it drove most people crazy trying to MD there. I used the freedom 2 and the Freedom 2 Plus there. It would chatter on the junk and sound off great on the coins..
Just try to ignore the "broken", "chattering" signals. I used to set mine on bottle cap for disc 1 and around pulltab for disc 2. I set it that way to keep from digging most of the old style pull tabs.. If I got a good signal in disc 1. I'd then go to disc 2... if the signal chattered.. I wouldn't dig it.. if it disappeared... I would dig it.. could be a nickle or small gold ring.. If the signal was still solid.. I would dig it. those setting won't reject the current pull tabs...

Hi,

Many thanks for the help and advice.

I am off to the beach (west coast of France)

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.