Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett Pro-Pointer vs. DetectorPro Pistol Probe?

Erik in NJ

Anyone have any opinions on which is the better pinpointer? I haven't seen either in person and am not aware of the various features of each. Have been using a VibraProbe for the past 8 years.

seem to like the garret. i do not think any pistol probes over there yet.

i would like to know also

probably should post on relic forum or just look over there

Garret fourms have a review and a video of the pro pointer. The neg of the pistol probe for me is that it looks like a gun. Big no no in NYC.

great unit ,using mine quite a lot .2-3" on a copper coin ,about the best there is without any cable leads .

Love the original VibraProbe, very durable and well designed. It gets about an inch or so, but i use it in conjunction with the X-1. I also have the new VibraProbe (570) and it gets about 2 inches, but has a different feel than the original and I'm not used to it yet. Same high quality and excellent customer service.

n/t

I hear its pretty long - does it detect items to the side of the probe like the X-1? That drives me nuts, I want a directional pinpointer and one that isn't to unweildy. Thanks for any info.

Eric The round probe shaft is 6 3/8" long. It does pickup on sides of probe, but the nice thing about this probe is if target signal from you detector is 4'' or 5" down you can pinpoint target before you dig a plug. This works great on lawns and sports fields without digging big holes. Used mine yesterday and targets in this range were right on under my probe tip. Hope this helps.

Thanks Frank - appreciate it...i've been leaning towards the Garret, but may get both as they seem to be quite different. I've been using the X-1 to give me the general direction of a target if it's not in my plug, but maybe your probe is easier. The X-1 has been the only game in town, but i don't feel that it's designed as well as it could be. Glad to see someone give 'em a run for their money.

Erik, i had the FX-1 on my F75. I now use the Pro pointer. I could see where the pistol probe would be key in some situations. My only thought is when detecting larger older parks with 100+ years of trash in the layers. 9 times out of 10 im diging a target surrounded by trash. All that depth might be a hinderence.

Sure they are great in many ways, but I think the design with the little toggle switch is not that great (should be a momentary contact switch on the probe itself). Minelab should have built one in to the E-Trac as the X-1 is good to find the direction of a missing target, but pinpointing is rough unless you put the machine in pinpoint mode which is a PITA - Minelab could have accessed pinpoint mode with another switch on the probe. I grab my VibraProbe instead as it's faster and quiet. I thought these new pinpointers might offer some even greater advantages over my current setup as I've even heard that some are giving up their X-1. I'll keep mine, but I thought the Garrett might be a possible replacement for the VibraProbe.

I love the pro-pointer-it replaced my vibra-probe mainly because it interferes w/ some of the machines I use( the ones that sunray doesnt make an in-line probe for of course) It is compact, built like a tank, and has ony one button to fool w/.My cup of tea!!!