Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

General searching question (to dig or not to dig)

shawn_miller

Hello all,
I have an AT Max and am new to this as an adult. My dad was huge into this in the 70's and 80's and I feel I have been around this my entire life. Anyway, my question is when I am searching an area like a park and I get at tone in maybe the 60s or even 70s more times then not it is trash. Is there a way to determine targets from trash consistently? Are the tones and numbers repeatable or is there fluctuation in the numbers? Do I just dig everything when the tone is in that gold range?
Thanks in advance!

Hello all,
I have an AT Max and am new to this as an adult. My dad was huge into this in the 70's and 80's and I feel I have been around this my entire life. Anyway, my question is when I am searching an area like a park and I get at tone in maybe the 60s or even 70s more times then not it is trash. Is there a way to determine targets from trash consistently? Are the tones and numbers repeatable or is there fluctuation in the numbers? Do I just dig everything when the tone is in that gold range?
Thanks in advance!
If you don't Dig it up, you'll never know what's under the coil that Alerted you to this signal. Sizing helps some though. Good luck out there...
silverseeker 2

When in doubt dig it out. As you get more experience with your detector you will learn to decipher good targets from trash. Good targets generally have a repeatable signal both in sound and Target ID number. That's not always true but it's a place to start. Good luck.

The AT Max is a very good detector but the audio takes some time to learn. My best recommendation is to hunt with modest sensitivity so the audio is less distorted & TIDs are more stable. The audio is the master key. You will learn as you dig if you pay attention.

Hi, The longer you detect and the more you get to know your detector, you will have a better idea what is in the ground. You will never be 100% accurate based on VDI #s and tones because of so many different variables you have to deal with. When at the beach, I dig everything because the sand is easy to dig. When on dry land, especially when the ground is rock hard, everything changes, just too hard and time consuming to dig everything. With time you will will know what to dig.

Dig it up .. Will mot be there next time you detect that area ..
I have found Gold rings detecting behind a a VDI hunting buddy
Beeps / Tones dig it .. You will be surprised .. Treasure Detecting is the name of this hobby
Double check you dig hole ... Maybe masking a target

Welcome.
Practice with coins and jewelry.
Also practice with the different types of trash you dig. Don't throw all of it away.
And don't leave trash in the ground.
Someone else or you later down the road will dig it again.
Search videos of guys using that machine.
Setting it up too.
Also search making a test garden.
And Good Luck .