Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Getting rid of the soil-eaten zinc pennies? Suggestions?

Mi$$ouri Jim

I'm finally cleaning all the clad coins I've accumulated over the years. The silver-colored coins & copper pennies all are passable. The pock marked , soil-eaten zinc pennies I doubt the bank will take.

So my question is... how do you get rid of them?

I rinse the dirt off of them as best I can. I take them to the coinstar machine. I get a lot of rejects and I just keep running them through. Usually you will get a few that will not go through and I throw them out. It may take running them through 5 or more times but that's how I get rid of mine. I figure that they are charging me 9 cents per 100 so that is my justification to giving them dirty money.

The Trezurhunter.

coinstar is a detectorists best friend. lets face it...those are some ugly zinc cents and if the machine eats them I for one am happy to see them go.
Doug in OR

n/t

There is some company somewhere that takes money that has been damaged in hurricanes and other disasters. I've only heard of them taking paper money thought. Who knows, maybe the U.S. mint will take them back and give you a tax refund or something???? They could melt them back down and make them into new pennies.

I refuse to use coinstar. I know they are just pennies, but I figure that I spend my valuable time digging pennies up.... I might as well get full value for them. ANd throwing them away or putting them through a coinstar machine (where they take a percentage) is just not an option for me. I will put them through a post office stamp machine before I resort to that.

Yeah I have heard you can send damaged coins to the us mint/federal reserve etc. etc. to cash them in, but there is no way I am going to waste good money to ship heavy, damage coins across country.

I think I'll take my next batch to my local bank and give them to the CEO! I hear they are in bad shape and need a "BAIL OUT":nopity:

I checked with the US Mint. Yes, they will take them but only at one location. Sending them there through the mail would cost more than they are worth.

Also sent an Email to the Federal Reserve about it but no reply.

I read on one forums that the Salvation Army would take them in their donation collections and get full value. Don't know if that is true or just someone that does not like the Salvation Army?

Jeff

I've started putting zincs in my trash pouch when I am detecting them. It is way past time that the mint quits making pennies and nickels. Especially now that it costs more than they are worth. And would make detecting much better not having to contend with zincolns.

Chris

my bank has a free coin exchange machine. Using it for the first time last month I was pleasently surprised when the machine took quite a few zincs that had really started to deteriorate. I only got back ll pennies in a bag of 127 dollars worth of miscellaneous coins.
Re-feeding them into the machine after a first rejection worked well too.
I am just going to roll up a few rolls of pennies each containing a few rotted zincs and exchange them over the bank counter to get rid of them all.

I too used the coin machine at my local bank and spoke with one of the head honchos there and they said that they would take the damaged coins and exchange them for me.

Ask at your local banks if they would do that for you too.

I've had no problems just rolling up the damaged coins with the rest of the pennies and submitting the roll to the bank for 2 quarters. Why throw them in garbage???

Jim, the devaluing of the U.S. cent by changing to copper coated zinc
basically doomed the coin to a life of nothingness. It is actually
worthless money-wise, being barely worth a penny even in mint
condition. It is now only a symbol for a once proud member of
U.S. coinage and is used only for change for a nickel.

When returned to Mother Earth's grasp, zinc is very quickly
re-absorbed back into her matrix from which it came. At it's
worst corrosion it is unacceptable anymore by banks (??) or
stores for purchasing goods. It cannot be cleaned or ever
restored, so should then summarily be discarded as
John-Edmonton suggested, preferably NOT back into the
ground..!
Perhaps it's best contribution now is just as a tool to help
detector engineers better perfect discrimination circuits:nopity:
..W

Pretty sad when you faced with throwing away money being cheaper than keeping it... and there should be a mechanism in place to prevent that? (Seniorage......state quarters anyone?) Too much money to be made... If the pennies rot...we never made 'em. Make more. Mo money. End the penny and the nickel is the next target. Mo money................ Bottom feeders. Time for GOLD and:drinking:? Naaaa....cash 'em in! (They have to take 'em as the banks ARE an indirect part of the Federal Reserve system by contract!) There's the mechanism! Push it and see.

JMO,,, but the govt made these darn pieces of junk,, and should take them back,, damaged or not,,, wish they would go back to silver :). nothing like that shiny quarter coming out of the ground,

Put them in the "Santa" bucket at Christmas.