Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ghost signals x 2

Ronstar

If someone can help me understand this I would appreciate it. Last couple of hunts have included woodchips used as ground covering around playground equipment. I do not know the species of wood but looks mixed. Both are 3-4” deep with a layer of dirt and clay underthat. Playground equipment is the newer style and metal. Bases into the ground are metal with a broad platform for stability. Mystery signal not close to anything metal as far as playground equipment.

A couple of times now I have hit on a good dime signal (F75 shows 74-75 which is a solid dime number) and depth shows 2”ish. Check with Garrett pinpointer Pro and get reaction so know target is relatively close. Usually I can dig with fingers and recover dime easily. But, when I disturb the chips and get into them the pinpointer goes quiet. Resweep with coil, nothing. Is the answer the theory of electrical halo and breaking that halo changes that field? Where did the dime then go? No further signal appears such as nearby or deeper.

Any info or similar experiences???

Am I the only person who has experienced this???

Am I the only person who has experienced this???
Sometimes, I lose a signal altogether , but if I move the stuff around from the target location I can usually find it. Sometimes it is such a small item it is hard to locate...like a small lead buckshot size target.
Just my guess, I don't ever remember losing a signal completely. One time it was stuck to my digger in the dirt on it. I figure it is a small target.

In these examples the detector was indicating dime and the confidence meter was showing full range. No I dont rely on these but it seems to be 90#+ accurate. Depth said 4” which translates to more accurately 2”. Pinpointer sounded off when touching ground over target so 99% sure something just under surface. Took fingers and removed 2-3” of chips and placed on the side. Pinpointer back in, 0. Swept area using side of pinpointer out to nearly 18” diameter, 0. Sweep detector back over the area and 0.
This has happened now twice in two different tot lots. Completely baffling but there has to be some type of explanation including detector malfunction (runs just fine otherwise). Mostly wondering if others have had similar experience or if the lead in my butt is causing undue influence......