Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ghost Town Gives Up the Gold

William-NM

I've fallen behind in posting my treasures once again, so will post my recent ghost town finds and some highlights of my other recent finds. The weather has been wildly variable from shirt sleeves and shorts to howling blizzards and hail, but mostly nice 50s & 60s. Here's a shot of the ghost town area taken a few days ago. The snow was gone by afternoon.
snowy-hills_zpse360ed0c.jpg
volunteerism_zps1ede020d.jpg

I was feeling grateful for all the interesting finds and decided to do some cleanup - I dug some pits and buried a few hundred bottles and junk. Shortly thereafter, I found the .56 gold spill and the 1890 "V" Nickel. :angel:
gold_zpsb0692cd8.jpg
ghost-town-finds_zps267f66ea.jpg

Sadly, the last time I was up there, another detectorist had dug hundreds of holes and filled none of them, leaving the iron junk on the ground next to them. I cleaned up some of them, sigh. :poke:

The little "shield" shaped object was found next to the outhouse at the old jail site. I like the Cholla cactus growing on the roof of the jail:
outhouse_zpsa714bd5b.jpg
cholla-jail_zps451567b5.jpg

Found a few wheaties, a 1940 Merc, pretty nice 1926 Buffalo Nickel and the 1890 "V" Nickel.
coins_zpse0372645.jpg
coins-reverse_zps1b7f543f.jpg

This was a better find; a 1913 (1914 & 1915 have different shapes and are stamped with year) brass California Motor Vehicle Registration dashboard tag. These are fairly rare and can go for around $150.
1913-ca-brass-license-tag_zps1ece0955.jpg

And a few tokens: Red Goose Shoes, a good luck horshoe thingy, a 1935 NM Emergency School Tax token, a Cracker Jack, and a religious token.
Tokens-Obverse_zpsd12fbd5b.jpg
Tokens_zpse754b701.jpg

A few military items - the German Iron Cross was a surprise!
militaria_zpseefd3cc3.jpg

One Silver ring, a home-made brass hair barrette, brass bangle bracelet, some copper concha belt (butterflies etc), and some misc junk.
jewelry_zps27d98a34.jpg

I always try to have some fun along the way!
marbles_zpsbb25a3c6.jpg

Added a few old license plates to the collection (which I might sell - they can go for surprisingly good $$). Just for fun, here's the dry creek behind the jail, too.
license-plates_zps3ac65516.jpg
dry-creek_zps8e05d329.jpg

I dig bottles. There are always a few heart breakers in there - in this case the broken Texas Centennial glass, Chicago brewery bottle, and a local dairy.
bottles-1_zpsff2aa43f.jpg
bottles-2_zps3c8e5b6f.jpg

Copper and lead printer's plates - I like the one with the actors.
printers-plate_zpsfddc5bed.jpg

Some duplicate items, but I like the miniature horseshoe and sterling thimble (it has a house, sailboat and lighthouse engraved design)
ghost-town-finds-2_zpse0ebe8e8.jpg

I collect locks and keys - the US Mail lock and the little gold Ford key are favorites, along with the room key fob.
locks_zps250c7947.jpg

I'm still digging lots of flatware, & the dragon candle holder is kinda cool. And here are the buckles and cosmetics:
flatware_zps0db00991.jpg
buckles_zps564eb258.jpg

Here are the rare and highly sought-after horseshoes and other iron goodies, and the other misc:
iron_zps64e512ca.jpg
hardware_zps35923300.jpg

That's it for today. Best of luck in the hunt to all!! :cheers:

I'm always amazed at the amount and quality of your finds!! Excellent post and some really great loot!! Give Tigger a skritch for me!!

I have a piece similar to the shield piece you have. I was told it is part of a saddle.

Thanks, BCD, will do - same on your end!
Grumpy - thanks for the info, that's good to know!
Appreciate it, Butch!

Always great to see your finds and the areas you hunt William. Sorry to hear about the other hunter, how do u think he found the site? Simply research on his part? HH and GL

William, I always look forward to your posts of ghost town finds! Such a great mix of items and great pics. Thanks for sharing & HH. Chip

n/t

:clapping:
As always your post are to be envied! and their findings and impressive!
If we lived closer ... keys and locks could change ...
The little tin box with a hole in the center seems to razors box ....
Thanks for showing
:cheers:

:thumbup:Great digs and finds.

Roscue: Not sure how he found it - I've seen one other fellow detecting up there, but he was respectful. They've recently reopened the mine, and they're working it hard. The new train is running about every two hours (I expect that they're running the ore down to a stamp mill or concentrator near the giant Chino open pit copper mine which is just a few miles away. It could be one of the miners or locals. I suspect that they're new to detecting. If I run into them, I'll try to diplomatically encourage them to be a good citizen... failing that, I'll break their beak (just kidding...).

Chip, Trackerman, Nugget, Senda, Robert, ShinDig, Joel: Thanks for the nice comments, glad you enjoy the posts
Senda: Right, the little box is stamped "Gilette".
Robert: There are an endless # of bottles to be dug. It's hard to see in this photo, but if one is willing to don a dust mask and some broken glass resistant boots & clothing, they may attempt to excavate the dreaded 'Cliffs of Glass & Ash'. It's mighty fun trying to dig bottles while sliding down/rolling in ash and broken glass, heh. Guaranteed to put a ring around the bathtub! I just wish I could find some older blob-tops and more intact local ones.
wall-o-trash_zps31002518.jpg

:thumbup: I have one just like it, that use my father, a great memory of him, and others 300 tin boxes more but i don't remember all :rofl: