Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GIS Question

Mag99004

Sounds like this might be the place to post this question. I'm just curious how you incorporate GIS if at all into the hobby. I've returned to school(mid 20's) to finish my B.S. and am majoring in GIS. I've taken a few relevant course like the first GIS course, Physical Geography, Maps and Remote Sensing, etc. I still feel unfamiliar with ArcGIS and ArcView products though, guess it will take time.

My main question is I can quickly see how GIS would be beneficial to my hobby of detecting. Specifically, eliminating search time for sites found on olds maps. If I could load maps and overlay a fairly accurate lat/long grid on it would save an insane amount of time searching for sites. Also, I could plot points of interest in my program and download those points onto a gps(my current gps is a Garmin Geko and I don't think points can be downloaded on it). If I had a unit that had accurate maps it would save time finding the nearest roads to the site when I'm out driving in the boonies.

I can see the benefit in theory but I'd have no idea where to start in order to make it happen. Does anyone use GIS out there in conjunction with this hobby and if so what programs, tools, gps equipment, techniques can you recommend? Thanks ahead of time guys.

Eric

from ID/UT/OR

Personally, I don't metal detect but, what you say I do with GIS for other hobbies.
For software; if you have ARC View, you should be pretty much set except, you'll need some freeware to transfer data between the receiver and the computer. I think that the G7ToWin should do - it can translate between several formats and transfer to / from various receivers. (I think) you can calibrate and use raster maps in Arc View, right? Than, you can scan and use any map. If not, look into software like Global Mapper http://www.canadianmaps.ca/Global%20Mapper/Global%20mapper.htm which is very advanced and used by many pros. Another option is TTQV http://www.canadianmaps.ca/TTQV/TTQV3.htm which is easier to master but still very advanced. Actually, there is already version 4 which has many advantages over the v3 I linked to but, I didn't yet have time to add the v4 to my website. SO, these 2 are the ones that I sell but, there are other ones. For example, many amateurs are very happy with OziExplorer www.oziexplorer.com
Naturally, you also need a decent receiver. Sorry but, (as you know) Gecko isn't one... Any decent receiver can exchange data with the softwares above. The rest, well, lots of work and even more fun :)

Thanks Andrew,

I don't personally have ArcView(I don't want to imagine how much that would cost). However, I do have access to it and just about every other piece of equipment out there at the university I attend. Which luckily is ahead of the curve as far as universities go in terms of their GIS program.

I was considering purchasing a Garmin Etrex Legend as I used one with the Forest Service. Would you have any reservations about that as far as what my intended use is?

Eric

I have very mixed feelings when it comes to the eTrex Legend. I have one and really like it for the size and functionality. A bit small map memory but large enough to have a very detailed map of a small area loaded - large enough area to cover my hunting grounds +
Speaking of maps and receivers; you do know that you can NOT load just any maps into the receiver, right?
Anyway, so, I often use the Legend but, I don't use it in the woods - the reception (as compared to many other receivers)under forest canopy is simply poor.
So, if you are planning to use the receiver mostly in the open or under very light canopy than Legend is good. If you need most out of the reception, in Garmin lineup, you need to look at their newer receivers - Garmin improved a lot since they produced the Legend.
You may also want to look at Lowrance iFinder series. For reception in difficult conditions, I found them to be second to none. The trouble with Lowrance is, map selection for Lowrance is not that great when it comes to highest detail topos. What Lowrance offers in Topo is good but not great. Well, the same kind of goes for Garmin but, there are 3rd party, compatible maps. For example; the best in topo what Garmin offers for Canada is based on 1:50.000 scale, federal topo maps. To conserve space (?) Garmin stripped several layers of source map data. I sell (and use), for Ontario, Garmin compatible topo maps that are based on 1:10.000 and 1:20.000 provincial topos and preserve virtually all the detail.