Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gnats Be Damned!

It would have been a very pleasant day, but the gnats ruined that part of the trip for me. Bugs notwithstanding I was able to put my 12K coin program to work and come up with some decent finds. The first half of the day was paltry for this area--two wheat pennies and a bit of clad. I've been working on partnering up TX and Sens settings to get a nice blend of depth and stability. I had TX set to 1 and Sens set to 88; reactivity 2 & Silencer -1. I was able to get the 7 inch wheats easily with the 11 inch coil, with depth to spare, but targets deeper than that in this area are rare so I didn't get to see how deep I'd be able to go...I'll keep at it and hopefully I can eventually say I pulled a dime at 9-10 inches.

The second half of the day had me gridding a very large area. As the day grew long, my sweep speed increased and I probably moved faster than I should have. I plucked a half dozen more wheats and I almost didn't stop at the next signal--which was very similar to a wheat signal, but I did and a silver rosie at 6 inches finally popped up. Ah, good, I can go home un-skunked again. After a few more wheats, I found another 4 inch rosie...this one was more silver sounding than the previous....The wheats were hitting in the 88-90 range in 12K and 76-80 in 4K...that's ok, but it can make for a long day if they all turn up wheats....silver dimes love to hide in this range and these two barely gave me a hint they might be silver--they both hit the 90-91 range at one point or another.

With about 2 hours left to my hunt, I took a quick food break and contemplated moving on to the next site...I just didn't feel like the area remaining at this place would produce--so I halfheartedly started swinging. Within 2 minutes I was over top of yet another signal that had disappointed multiple times during the day: A bouncy 94-96 in 12K, followed by a bouncy 87-92 in 4K...earlier in the day I'd dug similar signals that turned out to be giant washers, or plumbing parts. But, as I've learned in the past, treat every big silver signal like it IS silver and you won't have to regret playing Fruit Ninja with your big silver. When I turned over the plug, the target was still in the hole--I like that because it tends to make me feel like whatever it is could be older....the Barber Half (I still can't believe it's my 3rd this year) did not disappoint; a 1895O! Ah, now I can go home with a smile on my face :)

I kept swinging after that, greedily wishing for another half. Within a few swings after standing up from the Barber hole, I got another wheat signal, but this one was different, in 4K I was getting 81-83 and a higher accompanying tone. So I dug it expecting something in the hole with the wheat, but it turned out to be a misshaped sterling ring. A foot away was another sterling ring; this time a kid's ring...it was deep and rang in lower than the wheats had been hitting, so I had expected to see a crusty zincoln. About 10 minutes later I recovered the Washington Quarter--I was hoping for an SLQ or even a barber, but the depth was wrong for those. What was odd though was the quarter gave nearly a half dollar signal, but not quite a full half dollar signal, so I didn't know what to expect. I looked for traces of a collocated target, but I couldn't find any to explain the signal. Within a couple of minutes I was kneeling down to dig a clad quarter 93/84....but it was actually 92/83 and another silver ring pops out. That put a smile on my face! I spent a few more minutes on the last remaining bit, but other than one more wheat, that was it; the site was done....and I was ready to call it a day.

HH everyone!

Fantastic silver day! :clapping:

I would have braved gnats, mosquitoes, flies, and ticks for a Barber half! Thank you for the field tips with the 7" plus Wheats using TX =1 and higher Sens settings. Going to shoot some vid tomorrow and will try your lower TX and higher sens approach to see if it's any different than a TX = 2; Sens = 80-83 settings - no promises though it will be an urban hunt - won't know until I get coil over soil.

Three silver rings and almost $1.00 on FV silver...what a day! :please:

I got this from another website:

Special attention should be paid to setting levels of the Sensitivity/TX Power "tandem" in the same search program. Both settings should not be high at the same time. For example, if you set the TX Power at 2, set the Sensitivity as low as 82. These two settings should be always inversely proportional to one another.

Setting Sensitivity on high levels may increase the Deus' detecting range but may also negatively affect the Deus' performance even more.It depends on levels of mineral content in the ground. If you metal detect on highly mineralized ground, it is best to keep Sensitivity in the 80s and let other key settings - Reactivity, Manual Ground Balance, and TX Power, which are responsible for the detecting range, take care of it.Otherwise, you will have to deal with a lot of iron- and ground-falsing, i.e. the Deus will be annoyingly unstable responding to both the ground and iron with high-pitched tones.
One of the ways to increase the Deus' detecting range is to use another "tandem" - Sensitivity/Manual Ground Balance. The lower the Sensitivity level, the lower you can set the Ground Rejection Level (or Level of Ground Effect Corrections (page 16 of the User Manual)) using the Manual Ground Balance mode - this would allow you to increase the Deus' operational depth range. Another situation when one may also need to lower Sensitivity is when there is too much Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) around - overhead and underground power lines, relay and electrical substations, cellular phone towers, etc.
NOTE: Using too much Sensitivity can cause a lot of iron- and ground-falsing. However, setting the Sensitivity level below 80 may cause substantial loss in the Deus' performance, i.e. the operational detecting range will be greatly compromised.

TX Power is a "simple" feature which can directly increase or decrease the Deus' Depth Potential (not to be confused with the Detecting Range or Operation Depth Range).

The TX Power control allows a user to select an optimal level of strength of emitted electromagnetic field according to one of the following general types of search conditions:1) The ground is highly contaminated with iron (nails and their fragments, melted blobs, large and small fragments of iron roofing sheets, pieces of slag, etc.) - the TX Power should be set at 1 because a)increasing detecting range is out of question due to the superficial iron "blanket" in the ground, b) the lowest TX Power level prevents the detector's audio from overloading with loud responses to abundant iron junk, which can easily block the responses to small and/or partially masked desirable targets, and c)lowering the TX Power improves target recognition. The level 1 should be also used when metal detecting takes place on the highly mineralized ground.2) The ground has moderate levels of iron junk and mineral content - the TX Power should be set at 2 (default setting in most factory preset programs) and will be sufficient for most detecting conditions.NOTE 1:3) The ground is free of iron junk, and a level of mineral content is low - the TX Power should be set at 3 to increase the Detection Depth; however, more battery power will be consumed, hence shorter battery life - almost two times shorter than with the TX Power at 1.

In theory, the TX Power set at 3 increases the Deus' detecting range, but, under real conditions, the increase is noticeable only for medium and large targets (the difference between settings 1 and 3 will be approximately 2 inches). For small coins, the increase is miniscule. This is why, levels 1 and 2 are more practical for detecting small and tiny coins such as medieval hammereds. The setting of 3 is default for the 'Relic' factory preset program which utilizes a low 4 kHz frequency (optimal for deep large targets).NOTE: If you use a Frequency Shift feature (page 39 in User's Manual), you will NOT be able to adjust the TX Power setting as it will not be available in the Sensitivity' EXPERT sub-menu.

great digs !! those barbers don't come easily, and halves are even more elusive..

the mosquitoes were choosing sides for a battleball game where I was at yesterday evening also, I got eat alive..

dan

Good job Beep! I enjoy the details of your posts. Keep em coming!

I always adjust the Deus to site ground conditions. As terrain changes I have found that hunting the same spot one day may require different setting the next day or later on during the day. I seldom run TX at 3, mostly at 1, Reactivity mostly at 2 with Silencer most always at -1. I set Sensitivity to where the machine is on the edge of stability/ instability, never below 80, seldom above 90.

BerntOut said:
Good job Beep! I enjoy the details of your posts. Keep em coming!

I always adjust the Deus to site ground conditions. As terrain changes I have found that hunting the same spot one day may require different setting the next day or later on during the day. I seldom run TX at 3, mostly at 1, Reactivity mostly at 2 with Silencer most always at -1. I set Sensitivity to where the machine is on the edge of stability/ instability, never below 80, seldom above 90.

Agree 100%--TX1 Silencer -1 is my starting point on all my hunts.

Congrats on the great finds !

Wonderful hunt you had and a Barber half, wow. That one is on my bucket list.
Appreciate the informative post regarding TX and Sensitivty. As usual your posts are very detailed. Thank you.