Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Going back in history to my first day out withTejon

fenian13

Talk about beginners luck.

I took out my Tejon to my old high school. I was sort of initally frustrated by all the trash and the confusion associated with learning metal deecting so I decided to just put it where "silver was supposed to be" and walked 100 yards to the edge of a ballfield and stumbled onto a perfect Italian silver necklace with 11 saphires.

Then I went to my old elementary school. Now this is where it gets even better.

Back in the early 70's (in my area of NY) there was a thing called a "sheriffs junior deputy badge". You got your badge after sitting through a series of presentations by the local sheriffs department. At the end we all swore to be good doobies and uphold all laws. We signed a paper and then we all anxiously awaited the day we got our badges presented.

Well, the day finally came and one by one our names were called and we proudly recieved aknowlegment of our graduation from the "academy". We were all hyped up running around arreseting anyone and everyone for the slightest transgressions. At recess things got a little out of hand and I ended up in an altercation in which the suspect resisted arrest. Somehow we managed to tumble down a hill and when the dust cleared and I had my man in custody, I looked for my badge and it was gone. I had broken it from it's attachment to my belt. I spent the rest of recess searching in vain and went homr delected.

I never forget out that old junior deputy badge. You guessed it. I found it. Right there at the base of the hill where I lost it over 35 years before.

Thanks fer lookin.

fenian13

That's one of the most remarkable stories I have ever read, and with a happy ending too. I bet it gave you a thrill to find that long lost badge. Nice going!

Yeah, it was kind of crazy. It was also my mothers birthday and so I gave her the silver necklace that day. (she is 86 and lives with me, she was 84 that day)

I had promised the Tesoro folks I would write in and tell the story some day when I got a computer. Now I've made good on that.

Usually my luck is poor,... but not on that day.

What a great story Fenian!! That is so cool!! I still have my Junior Deputy Sheriff Badge from back around 52 or 53. It is shaped like a Shield. Can't imagine how I managed to hang on to it all these years. I have got to think that was really an exciting trip back in history for sure , and especially in finding a loss so close and personal to yourself.And with vivid memories of that day when you lost your badge and looked so hard for it. Way To Go on comming full circle with a happy ending to a childhood dissapointment.

FC, Wow, Somebody else remembers and still has their old JD badge! I did not know the program went back to the 50's. That's cool.

Thanks for lookin and commenting. It was a surprise filled day for certain.

Best of luck.

wow - like the finds & story behind it.
Now wear that badge while detecting & uphold the peace & service:smoke:

I went back to my first school, although I didn't find much except a bunch of junk and a few coins, as I dug targets, I did come up with marbles where we used to play allot of marbles - don't know, but a good bet some where mine back then as I was a marble nut.

Maybe I should put it in my wallet and just flash it quick if I get harassed when detecting. You know, just take the initiative and act indignant that someone should mess with a retired police officer...

WTG......hh
Dan

that's an aspect that keeps me crazy about this hobby, every time we make a remarkable find is like we becoming part of history, a link between you and the moment the object was lost

thanks for sharing this cool story! :clapping: