Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Going deep with the etrac

ot1138

Hi gang,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've recently been hunting an old area which has turned up surprisingly little in the way of coins. Lots of iron trash but I've also found an 1890's opera glass lens, an antique lighter, and a military button from the 20's. I thought it was cleaned out but then I found a 1936 Mercury and a bunch of 60's clad. So I suspect that there is some fill dirt on what is basically unhunted ground.

What settings should I use to get my etrac to go as deep as possible? I'm guessing manual sensitivity 26+, recover deep on, trash density high, and...? I'm using a stock coil btw.

I've found that using Two Tone Ferrous settings will give me more depth.
That's all I can think of doing besides what you've already tried without
going a bigger coil.

Mark
Fredonia, NY

I've actually been thinking about trying a bigger coil... any suggestions? This area is pretty trashy.

Allot of people run deep off, fast on and turn your sensitivity up as high as possible without becoming unstable. It depends on the area(emi and ground matrix)You can try a bigger coil but if it's that trashy you will not get the separation. TTF will be good in the trash especially with a smaller coil.

absolutely best I have found is
deep OFF
fast ON
manual sensitivity as high as you can get it without a lot of chirping and falsing

and do NOT expect coins that are 10+ inches to give good clear signals, numbers may be jumpy, number will be way off from shallower coins

Don't overlook noise canceling or selecting your own channel to run on.
Note the recommended sensitvity after noise canceling and see if you can improve on that by selecting other channels and comparing where you lose stability. It takes a little time but in a limited area it could improve the sensitivity you can run by a couple of points.

Deep on is supposed to help Stabilize the numbers on deep targetsby adding filters thats pretty much it.
Yes use volume Gain for more depth on weaker sounding targets makes them sound louder so you won't miss them.
I usually run Fast off as well unless it's a really, really bad target loaded area because the signal resets faster for the next target but it tends to chop the signal length short making it sound quicker or shorter to your ears.

You should be able to confirm if the old dirt is below fill by just digging a hole and seeing the color change or type of dirt change between levels. (sometimes) I have used a larger coil lots (14 in excellerator) I have done very well and can get really deep but I am sure that the targets are that deep. I would try Goes4ever's ttf program first and establish that the targets are deeper before I used the bigger coil. The reason for this is that if you are in an area with lots of trash then a smaller coil is what you want right? First hunt the heck out of it with your coil in differing modes then when you think your about done try a bigger coil.
I have good success changing things up and going over my best sites again with different settings, coils, and whatever I can come up with. But...Im a dye hard and will hunt a good site to death until I just cant find anything before I move on. One site I am still working after 8 maybe 9 years. NO one will go with me out there anymore but., hey I like to hunt by myself anyway hehe.

Good luck.

I did tests in my coin garden using deep on, deep off, fast on, fast off etc.......I posted results here prob close to two yrs ago and with my testing the absolute BEST combo for the most consistent stable readings was deep OFF and fast ON, those settings gave very consistent readings

And yes volume gain set fairly high (I personally have mine at 28 ) will amplify deep signals without messing with the readings. And you can clearly still tell the difference from a 2 in signal VS a fairly deep 7+ inch signal

Ok, this is really helpful. I tried both deep on and off tonight and off seemed to be more stable for me.

My ground is not that trashy... anymore. I dug a lot trash out, including my first pet grave tonight (80s hamster in a purse). Auto+3 had me at about 19. I put it in manual 20 and it started chirping. I swung anyway and got a solid penny signal. It was an 80s Pepsi bottlecap at 8". A good sign.

I tried running manual all of the way up to 30 and the detector just stopped giving signals completely. Manual 20 is all I seem to be able to run at for some reason.

I have a 10x12 coil on the way...