Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Going from DFX to V3i

emma

Hi! After taking a 10 year break from raising a family, I have decided to hunt again and bought a v3i. Mind you I am only experienced in the dfx and all metal mode was my go to program for relic hunting. My question is, does this v3i work similar to that of the dfx when relic hunting in all metal....Will have the new machine delivered next Wednesday ... thank u in advance

You bought s great machine, honestly the V3i is quite w bit more advanced than the Dfx/XLT and does require more practice. The best way to learn the machine is to tinker with it with your ground and find the best settings. Once you learn it it's hands down the best detector on the market today

I had a DFX before the V3i The V3i is actually very similar to the DFX in the way it works, it's just updated and improved with a third frequency, color screen, a lot more adjustments, but also a better faster user interface. If you are familiar with the DFX, the V3i should be very similar in "feel" and a relatively easy transition. The V3i is better than the DFX in every way (imho).

Thank you everyone! I'll report back after I use the machine. You've given me hope that the learning curve isn't too mach further than the DFX. I thought the DFX was amazing!

Howdy emma--

You will like the V3i. For relic hunting I hunt accepting all VDI #' s and ascribe zero tones to unwanted VDI's but use 3 frequency. I've dug eagle cuff buttons at 10". As with the DFX, the key adjustments are: discrimination, sensitivities, filters, and recovery speed / delay. Everything else you can customize to your ground and hunting style. Congratulations on your purchase and have fun! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Try the all metal mixed mode stereo. You get all metal in one ear and just discriminated in the other. It takes a bit to get used to but it wroks awesome when you have it down.

One very important piece of advice, get a good ground balance before you start.
The V3i requires it to perform close to expected.
:twodetecting:

Hey Emma,

I too had the DFX for years and it was great but the V3i is a definite upgrade. You'll find the threshold to be more stable right off the bat !
Don't be afraid to make adjustments as you can always reset everything you change. You're going to love it.
I highly recommend the 13" ultimate coil especially for deep relic hunting !!! Best of luck !

Johnny Quattro said:
Hey Emma,

I too had the DFX for years and it was great but the V3i is a definite upgrade. You'll find the threshold to be more stable right off the bat !
Don't be afraid to make adjustments as you can always reset everything you change. You're going to love it.
I highly recommend the 13" ultimate coil especially for deep relic hunting !!! Best of luck !

Hi Johnny, my DFX has done some pretty amazing things allowing me to hear a good target in the midst of trash when I would use all metal.
I'm curious if the V3i is even better?

Well, they are both amazing machines but to answer your question,. Yes, in my opinion the V3i is better at Target identification information.
The most obvious way is being able to see which frequency is strongest helps i.d. the target. I purposely dig trash just to check and so far the V3i has been 100% correct. Also the filtering is excellent and threshold stability is superior !
One other cool thing is if you choose to hunt in single frequency for the best possible depth you can very quickly switch to 3-frequency to check which frequency is strongest. Good luck !!!!

Johnny Quattro said:
Well, they are both amazing machines but to answer your question,. Yes, in my opinion the V3i is better at Target identification information.
The most obvious way is being able to see which frequency is strongest helps i.d. the target. I purposely dig trash just to check and so far the V3i has been 100% correct. Also the filtering is excellent and threshold stability is superior !
One other cool thing is if you choose to hunt in single frequency for the best possible depth you can very quickly switch to 3-frequency to check which frequency is strongest. Good luck !!!!

Thanks for the great information Johnny. Now I just have to find a really good V3i that is used because I can't easily shell out so much for a new one.

emma
The only reason I kept my DFX is because I have a Bigfoot coil for it.
I use it on sports fields.I have payed for the DFX and the Bigfoot coil(you can't get this coil anymore) many,many times over.
I treat the DFX and the Bigfoot coil with kid gloves.They have been really productive over the years
I've been tempted to buy a Tesoro Cortes with one of Tesoro's wide scan coils..
Sorry I digress. You will come to love the V3i with a little experience with it.
It is able to "do"so much more than the DFX.. I've found the V3i to be a lot deeper and way more accurate in it's ID.Especially when you learn the tones.
The big secret is to dig all the signals until you learn what they are telling you.
I dug more pull tab/foil signals until I was almost ready to just dig coin signals.I didn't stop digging foil/pull tab signals.
I got a pull tab "beep" that was different than the usual pull tab signal. I dug it and it was a men's 14 ct gold ring with a big diamond.It appraised for $5600.00..

Thanks for the info. I have had a DFX in the past and just bought another one for my Grandson to use and I picked up a VX3 for myself.
Should be interesting getting used to everything again. This information should really help.
Thanks again

I've used my V3i for over 6 years after coming off a DFX, XLT, Eagle SL 90.5 and tested for a local dealer the Eagle 1 & 2 (also the E1 to E2 upgrade chip) when they were new. Hands down the V3i offers the most performance once you learn it. You are getting lots of advice I see. take the tips regarding setting it up for your soil (hopefully over a test plot). Stay in 3 Frequency as you find the best of the 8 ground filters to solidly hit that 8" dime or other deep small coin for YOUR SOIL. Just take your time and realize that out of the box it's not very hot until u find what works in your area. There are several settings that work in combination that are key. When you learn to edit your live controls to add more of them to your search screen it will be much faster to set up your detector or adjust it later. A test plot of some sort is must to gain an understanding or feel how ea control can incrementally affect performance and your ability to understand the V.
Look up Rob's links for a source of expert user info.
Good luck!

Ytcoinshooter, thanks!

Recently, I purchased a Spectra V3i, and have done practically no metal detecting. I first purchased the MXT All Pro, and then realized the Spectra V3i had so much more to offer, and traded for the V3i.

I have it registered for the additional warranty that White's includes.

All together it probably has about (10) ten hours of use.

I do believe the White's Spectra V3i is undoubtedly the best detector on the market. Notwithstanding, it is undoubtedly daunting; however, I will learn it! I will look up Rob's links!

Again, thanks!