Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Going To The Beach - Need Input:help:

Bubby

The family and I will be heading to the Jersey shore for vacation in a couple of weeks. This is gonna be my first time at the beach detecting so I have some questions. I did read some past post on this matter but want more input;

I have the 6x10 , D2 and 950 coil. The D2 is out of the question because I don't like the weight. Was reading the 950 coil does good on the beach and will cover more ground than the 6x10 but will the 6x10 be better in wet sand compared to the 950?

Should I silicone around the coil cover to keep sand and water out to prevent falsing?

Which program? Guess I could use the Beach program but what about Hi-Pro and just use salt compensate?

Ground tracking? Auto Trac or Lock Trac which is better?

As far as retrieving items I don't own a scoop-yet. The wife wants to hunt to since I have a X30 she can use. Been toying with the idea what to use. Don't want to put alot of cash out since I will need 2 scoops or shovels. Might just get a small mouth shovel so I don't have to bend down.

Bubby

Since the weight of the 950 and D2 are about the same, that leaves the 6X10 which is a good coil for extended hunting. Do NOT silicone the cover on, that will trap condensation ans cause problems. If you use a cover, clean often..........I don't use them. The Beach program is a good one to use on the beach and I would use Auto Trac.

A good inexpensive alternative to a large sand scoop is to buy a stainless steel strainer used in deep fat fryers, usually around $5-6 and a silicon handle for them can be found in kitchen stores. That will make them much easier to use and total cost of about $10. Works well on dry sand and up to knee deep water hunting.

Thanks for the response Larry. Didn't think about just leaving the coil cover off since I always have land hunted. The wife said I can get a beach scoop [ had to ask the boss - you know ] so been looking at the RTG Beachmaster which looks pretty good for the wet and dry sand and has a nice long handle. Just can't wait to get there - I probably get spoiled and never want to land hunt again.:laugh:

HH
Bubby

I went on vacation to Myrtle Beach and did a little hunting. I am new to the hobby, get the scoop, I didn't have one and I will be investing in one soon. As for my hunts, let's just say if beer caps were worth anything, I could retire.