Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

gold coin and more

kwdstalker

My family and friend went to a very old farm site Sunday. We found lots of wire and junk so I was just swinging my Garrett 2500 wild when all at once it went wild bouncing from one end of the scale to the other. It showed it was about 6 inches deep, so I decided to go ahead and dig it the first thing that I saw was a old leather ball looking thing I pulled it out and saw it had a lid ,when I opened it up I could see a ring and a coin sticking out of the dirt in it. I hollered to my brother that I found a coin purse and need to go to the pickup to dump it out on the tailgate to see what was in it. By this time I was shaking too much so he slowly started taking things and dirt out of it, the more he took out the more shaking I did. About half ways empty a gold coin popped out by the time he got it clean out I could not believe my eyes I did not do a dance I was shaking to much lol.the date on the pictures is wrong I got tired of setting every time I recharged the battery put the pictures on photo bucket here is the link to them. http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/kwd_photos/finds/

Some folks step in it and come out smelling like a rose!!

Which is to say, "You one lucky Dude!!"

Ever notice that the harder you work, the luckier you get?

Congrats,

CJ

Sweet finds. You are among the very fortunate.

Those are some awesome finds. The ring is fantastic, so are the coins. I've been thinking I should have dug a coin purse by now. I remember the oldtimers carried those to hold their money. Anyway congrats on the great digs.

How many of those Mexican coins are gold?

That is some find. I'd write an article for a Treasure Hunting magazine. I'm sure it would get picked up.

When you catch your breathe and get it all sorted out how about providing us with an accurate inventory of everything the purse contained.

The find of a lifetime. Well done!

Chris

Absolutly awesome! Thank you for sharing! I'm still looking for my first gold coin I'm happy to know there are still some out there, WOW!

Seems like old coin purses usually have a gold coin and probably the majority of the way gold coins are found...Never found even a newer one)coin purse) but perhaps over the next hill...

Killer find there.. Some of those coins look like new nearly.
I'm assuming it was lost after 1889, but not too long past that
date. Or at least that was the newest coin date I could see.
I bet that has been where you found it for over 100 years.
I'd bet it was lost before 1900 unless there are 1900's coins
I don't see.
Wonder if the key was for a house.. Doesn't really look like
the typical house skeleton key, so might have been for something
else. Maybe a chest, mailbox or something..
That coin pouch seemed to have help protect those coins
from the usual soil damage.
That's why I and many others dig most everything even if it looks
like trash.. You just never know..
As an example, many of the hot wheels cars, and other
assorted relics often look like trash to a detector.
And if it is trash, that's just one less piece to have to stumble
into again. :thumbup:

I remember back in the 50's, 60's when the little rubber pouches
used to be popular. You bent them to widen the slit in the top,
and grab the coins.. Many were given away as company "freebees"
much like combs, ballpoint pens, etc.
In my more recent times, I didn't really see too many leather pouches..
I imagine the rubber pouches probably hold up pretty well underground
being no UV rays are hitting them. I've never found one yet though..
I'm sure there are some out there in the ground somewhere waiting to
be found though. They were popular back when I was a sprout.
Many carried their lunch money, etc in them.

Congrats on the mini cache .Great find for sure !:thumbup:

That's what I keep telling people when they talk about hunting some real old site and never finding any old coins. Back in those days everybody carried their coins in a coin purse.so rarely was any ever lost unless they dropped the purse and didn't miss it right away. Coins were far too valuable back then to just carry in a pocket. A coin purse was the wallet of that time as very few people were wealthy enough to have paper money. One has to realize that back in those days people were working for pennies a day. AS late as WWII the average factory wage was thirty to forty cents per hour. During the Great Depression people worked for fifty cents a day or a dollar for a 12-14 hour day.

When hunting an old site you can't get your hopes up as you have to relate to the period and what kind of money people were earning then and how and where they carried that money. In the 1800's 25 cents was a fortune and if you had a buck in your pocket you were well to do. Cowboys, ranch hands, and farm workers, in those days worked from dawn to dusk for $30-$40 per month, During the Great Depression my mother worked in a hotel 12 hours a day, seven days a week, for $7.00 a week. Our rent on a duplex at that time was $7.50 a month. Gasoline was ten cents a gallon, a loaf of bread was a nickel. You could buy a brand new car for $400. That coin purse pictured, in its day, held a small fortune. Very few citizens had ever seen a gold coin let alone own one. The only people that had gold coins were the bankers.

So remember this when you find that old dream site that yields little or nothing. If magically you could have had a detecor back in those days you wouldn't find anymore then than you would today. You can't find treasure where treasure ain't or never was.

Bill

Bill

Yeah I carried one of those squeeze pouches when I was a pup. Many folks caried their coins in a Bull Durham sack. That was the equivalent of today's wallet.

Bill

I don't know if stalker is reading into this thread. I hope he is. Those little Mexicam coins are probably gold. In the US foreign coins from ,Spain, Mexico, and the UK widely circulated until after the Civil War. They look like the equivilant of our one dollar gold coin but it is hard to tell from his photos. Those larger Mexican coins are probably silver and could also be worth a bit. His territorial gold piece may or may be gold. There were a lot of counterfeits made. A LOT! Since the age of his can be rougly placed to the end of the 19th century, his could be genuine. Some of those territorial gold pieces are very valuable, maybe even more valuable than that Eagle.

KWDstalker. What state are you in? That is the find of a lifetime and my advice to you is to sit down and write a nice 1000 word story. Take better photos and some good closeups and submit the story and nice clear photos to a magazine and you will be published and make a few (very few) extra dollars. There is the start of an interesting article in your original post.

Chris