Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold coin!

Ronstar

I had the unbelievable opportunity to handle a $20 gold coin and “play” with it. Thought I would share what little I’ve done with it here.

I did not, nor consciously could, bury that coin in the dirt. It was placed on a 1x6 board and a cloth towel was laid down, coin placed, towel folded over, and a cedar shake shingle over that. Checked ground for any interference and GB was completed. I was using F75 and F5.
F75: GB 66. Running on Discrim side, Sens 80, Disc 10, Notch 1, Tones 3H, Mode DE. This is pretty much what I run unless conditions change in the area Im in. I obviously have no idea what I would set it as if I was hunting a park full of gold coins so just set it normal.
First sweep was 2-3” above target. Exceptionally clear tone and absolutely stuck on 92 no matter which direction I approached. The confidence meter was 100% topped off. 92-93 is what the Ike Dollars and the Morgan rang as. Keep that in mind but I’m betting first thought is dollar coin. I was able to detect up as far as 14-15” (visual guess but fairly sure height) and number started to drop to 90 before pretty much nothing, confidence meter dropping down two bars. SEF 12x10” Butterfly.
F5: Gain 70, Thresh at 0. Tones 3. Disc 0. Freq 1. Phase Lock 64.
Same test as F75 but was locking on 90-91 and detected up to 12-13”. Factory 5” coil.

When I get more time I will throw more junk in the mix but keep in mind this was basically a glorified air test. Yet, how many times do you get a gold $20 piece to play with?

That is sure interesting.
With the economy and inflation going crazy I got interested in gold and siver buying.
It is not feasable to get instant gain on any purchase. They nick you on mark up every way they can. Just to see how it works I got one of these to play with. It is about the size of a dime.
If you want I can fire up the old F75 to see how it reacts?

Attachments

• 20220430_090129.jpg
    20220430_090129.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 130
With the economy and inflation going crazy I got interested in gold and siver buying.
It is not feasable to get instant gain on any purchase. They nick you on mark up every way they can. Just to see how it works I got one of these to play with. It is about the size of a dime.
Yes please.
Any other machine's would be nice too

I had the unbelievable opportunity to handle a $20 gold coin and “play” with it. Thought I would share what little I’ve done with it here.

I did not, nor consciously could, bury that coin in the dirt. It was placed on a 1x6 board and a cloth towel was laid down, coin placed, towel folded over, and a cedar shake shingle over that. Checked ground for any interference and GB was completed. I was using F75 and F5.
F75: GB 66. Running on Discrim side, Sens 80, Disc 10, Notch 1, Tones 3H, Mode DE. This is pretty much what I run unless conditions change in the area Im in. I obviously have no idea what I would set it as if I was hunting a park full of gold coins so just set it normal.
First sweep was 2-3” above target. Exceptionally clear tone and absolutely stuck on 92 no matter which direction I approached. The confidence meter was 100% topped off. 92-93 is what the Ike Dollars and the Morgan rang as. Keep that in mind but I’m betting first thought is dollar coin. I was able to detect up as far as 14-15” (visual guess but fairly sure height) and number started to drop to 90 before pretty much nothing, confidence meter dropping down two bars. SEF 12x10” Butterfly.
F5: Gain 70, Thresh at 0. Tones 3. Disc 0. Freq 1. Phase Lock 64.
Same test as F75 but was locking on 90-91 and detected up to 12-13”. Factory 5” coil.

When I get more time I will throw more junk in the mix but keep in mind this was basically a glorified air test. Yet, how many times do you get a gold $20 piece to play with?
Ronstar
Do you have any other machines to test on it ?
I don't have a Fischer. 😵
I'd love to see numbers on the $1 and $5 dollar gold coins. Much more common to maybe swing a coil over.

It's good to know that it gave high numbers that everyone would dig. A $5 gold coin would not fare as well.

jkline was here with his CTX3030 and eTrac, was excited enough to watch his face when I revealed the gold coin I forgot to right down his screen numbers!!!! Lol

Im thinking the size of the coin is similar to a silver dollar and thats why it numbered off as a silver dollar. Funny tho, both mens gold rings hit in nickel/tab zone

Coin Rescue,
Another friend of mind has a $1 gold coin and I scanned ig in his back yard, it tok was about the size of a dime. Rang up in the tab range, another reason I dig good clear sounds in that area. Hasnt paid off yet tho 😂

On my ORX it air tested at 70.
Saturday in the field my first target was 70 with the D2...was a older style ring pull tab with no tail.
Guess it may pay some day digging pull tabs...🤔

Tom Danowski passed along on his forum a vdi gold coin test he did with one of his F 75's a number of years ago.
$1.00.....24-26
$2.50.....41
$5.00.....52
$10.00....61
$20.00....69
Might give one a little idea where gold coins come at with other detectors. I know I've dug a lot of 52 readings with my F 75's over the years as apparently the $5.00 gold piece was the most common carried and lost. And like Ron, all to no avail. HH jim tn

There are some serious questions developing with this coin. I’m hoping for my friend that this is not counterfeit. Even jkline was saying it read high on his 3030 and eTrac. Guessing this coin needs to go to a professional for final say. It hit full on 92 no matter which way I attacked it.

There are some serious questions developing with this coin. I’m hoping for my friend that this is not counterfeit. Even jkline was saying it read high on his 3030 and eTrac. Guessing this coin needs to go to a professional for final say. It hit full on 92 no matter which way I attacked it.
Any Jeweler with the X-ray machine can positively ID it as Gold. Call before you go.
Good Luck.

Looking at the chart tvr posted all my readings are higher, ground mineralization? Clad dime 73-75, clad quarter 83-84, etc.
????

Trying to figure out visual VDI read-outs can get very confusing, especially if you use more than just one detector. And if a person uses only one detector (I haven't since late '71 / early '72 but we didn't have Target ID back then) with Target ID then they only need to learn that one detector and the possible read-outs for various targets they are after. Then, don't pay too much attention to all the other targets readings others report because they are using different makers or models that generally employ a different scale for target read-outs, and that can be confusing.

TVR's posted scale of readings is an example. Where did he get that scale? From a manufacturer, or from/for a particular detector model? From someone book or posted article? I use an F75+, Apex, Racer, CoRe, Relic and XLT of my models with visual Target ID, For certain they are not all the same read-outs for various coin denominations so, like others, i have to learn the coin ID's for each of the different read-out scales.

The one, and only :(, Gold Coin I have even had was a $2.50 that sounded off very well, but no TID .... because it was 1978 and my Garrett Groundhog VLF/TR-Disc. didn't have it as it was still 5 years before we had visual Target ID.

Unless a target is sampled in an 'air test' and is oriented flat-to-the-coil, we are not always ging to get a very tight, accurate VDI read-out due to variables, such as target orientation, ground mineralization, presences of a nearby metal target to partially mask or present other metal composition that can 'average-in', and even EMI can cause TID to be effected.

Generally, most Indian Head Cents, some Wheat-Back Cents from 1909 to ±1920, and our modern crappy Zinc Cents tend to have a VDI readout that is very close or tight, call it similar. I have sampled all of the US Gold Coins, except the $1 denomination, and it has been interesting how their tr4ead-out varies from detector model to different detector model. a friend was detecting the municipal building grassy area years back when he had found a good number of coins, but was headed back to his car to call it a day. Ooops! One more signal, and the Target ID on the White's model he was using suggested a 'Penny'. Og well, another wouldn't hurt and it might be an older date. Solid audio hit, and the TID stayed petty accurate. From about the 6" to 8" depth he ended his day with a $20 Gold Coin.

So much for Target ID accuracy, even though that is generally the read-out area for that coin.

Monte

Easy to buy metal getting rid of it is another thing just food for thought 🙃

If you go to a pawn shop or coin dealer I have found that they are not a really good deal. If you have bulk and go to a refineries they need your ssn # so how can you do cost basis if you did not buy it. The gov wants there capital gains. Just my thoughts could be very wrong