Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

gold frequencies and trash

jas415

So, the Equinox has a 'high' frequency for gold, does that mean it will ignore, or disc out aluminum, brass, silver, etc.? How does this work in actual practice? In a park or at the beach do you set if for the high freq and then only dig certain responses? I honestly do not know and am asking!
I have used the old "Whites 6000, Excal 1, E-trac, new F75 and CTX. None of them actually tell me if something could be gold. All are sort of a 'beep and dig' in that regards, so how does the Equinox aid me in that area?

" None of them actually tell me if something could be gold. All are sort of a 'beep and dig' in that regards, so how does the Equinox aid me in that area?"

The different freq's just make a target more likely to be detected by the machine. You still won't know what is gold until you dig it.

The only gold ring I have ever found was a solid nickel signal. SO yea- I was surprised to see it in the dirt. :)

I would think that the VDI number would be some idea of what it is.. Just my opinion.

There zero difference in how gold reads, in other words anywhere from the bottom of the foil zone all the way up to the penny zone. It all depends on the size, shape and alloy of the gold. Using a high frequency makes the gold respond better, especially the very small bits like tiny nuggets and thin chains.

Jason in Enid said:
There zero difference in how gold reads, in other words anywhere from the bottom of the foil zone all the way up to the penny zone. It all depends on the size, shape and alloy of the gold. Using a high frequency makes the gold respond better, especially the very small bits like tiny nuggets and thin chains.

Even in the iron foil thresh hold depending on depth and size. A $1 gold coin deep can read as iron.

If there was a detector that only got the gold and not the trash I know they couldnt make them fast enough, plus it would take the fun out of detecting as it is the element of surprise when you see that gold in the dirt or sand.
The Equnoix just put that extra setting for those that prospect looking for gold, but for park or beach hunting I am sure you would spend more time digging trash looking for gold.

Rick

Rick(ND) said:
plus it would take the fun out of detecting as it is the element of surprise when you see that gold in the dirt or sand.

Rick

I don't know about that:) it would be a barrel of monkeys digging only good targets. Wouldn't be anything BUT fun for me

This post is not targeted against anyone - just my two cents on this interesting post.
Do you bench test your machine?
I am certain that any advanced metal detector will detect gold rings and chains, some better then others of course.
I will admit that I do dig trash but all I ask is a chance that it might be gold. I don't keep numbers on tabs to gold rings.....that is just a crazy idea from folks who do not find rings and such.
I have to say that using the EXP II does give me that chance, more so then other machines I have used.

The jury is still out on how this new machine will perform for gold rings and chains. It is a wait and see in my humble opinion.

Ok, thanks. Confirms what I expected, just a higher frequency to 'see' the gold. And still have to dig it all if I want gold. I have had the CTX for just over 5 years now and have 11 gold rings, and maybe 4 or 5 chains. The chains were accidents, had a charm or pendant attached which gave a bigger signal, also a couple of the rings were accidental finds, but most of the gold rings rang about the same, in the 30 range. All were men's 10-14k wedding bands. The reason I dig the '30' signals is I tested my own wedding band and that is what it rang up, 30.

Thanks again. Looking forward to getting the 800.

Rick(ND) said:
If there was a detector that only got the gold and not the trash I know they couldnt make them fast enough, plus it would take the fun out of detecting as it is the element of surprise when you see that gold in the dirt or sand.

Rick

hell no! Give me the gold detector! I'll retire tomorrow and spend the rest of my healthy life digging gold out of the blighted parks where its been ignored since discriminating detectors were invented.

sgoss66 said:
Totally agree with Jason!

And just a minor correction, BigTony...there are some gold chains that FBS machines will NOT detect...even in an air test very close to the coil...

Steve

I knew that chains were hard to find but I didnt realized how impossible it was for most of them with most coin detectors. A couple years ago (when I still had a whole stable of detectors at hand) I decided to do some testing with my wifes jewelry. Apart from the rings, most of it was impossible for any detector to see, even rubbing it on the coil. I tried tesoros, garrets, whites, minelabs.... VLF, FBS, BBS and PI. Even the healthy sized diamond tennis bracelet was invisible to them. If it didnt have an eye-ring clasp or a pendant it wasnt detected.

I don't know if the EQ's multi mode will fair better but the HF single freqs most definitely would. The problem is that the single freq mode won't work in the wet salt, but it could be a killer in the dry sand beach-chair rows.

all of todays bells and colour screens multi humpty dumpty's cant tell gold from aluminium and therefore are worth less than a 12 kHz Tesoro which is still the best park gold hunter on the planet , others have tried and failed to do what this humble detector can do.

so if looking for park gold no need for spending of any more than 300 bucks.

until a detector can tell molecular structure we will still be best off using a detector with the runs on the board ..

each to their own I am sure but no need for multi bangers or super clangers waste of money in the pursuit of park gold..

AJ

This is where I just don't understand a lot of detector manufactures thinking. A high frequency does make finding gold better, but to help finding gold in a high trash area takes a high resolution VDI. That is to say a detector with a lot of target segments in the lower -20 to +30 range. But from what I see manufacturers are lowering the number of target ID segments. One of the best detectors, at least in my experience, for telling the difference between trash and gold is the DFX with 191 target segments.

A good example is I have a 14k 12.2 gram Foxtail necklace I use for testing. All my lower resolution detector read it just like a piece of iron. On my DFX it read as a solid 0 to 2 where all iron reads in the minus range. Also having a high resolution/target segment count allows you to compare iron, which reads all over the place, to gold, which reads in a very tight VDI range only varying a few numbers and increase your odds quite a bit.

High frequency is key to detecting the gold, but high target ID segment/resolution is key to telling trash from gold.

Southwind said:
This is where I just don't understand a lot of detector manufactures thinking. A high frequency does make finding gold better, but to help finding gold in a high trash area takes a high resolution VDI. That is to say a detector with a lot of target segments in the lower -20 to +30 range. But from what I see manufacturers are lowering the number of target ID segments. One of the best detectors, at least in my experience, for telling the difference between trash and gold is the DFX with 191 target segments.

A good example is I have a 14k 12.2 gram Foxtail necklace I use for testing. All my lower resolution detector read it just like a piece of iron. On my DFX it read as a solid 0 to 2 where all iron reads in the minus range. Also having a high resolution/target segment count allows you to compare iron, which reads all over the place, to gold, which reads in a very tight VDI range only varying a few numbers and increase your odds quite a bit.

High frequency is key to detecting the gold, but high target ID segment/resolution is key to telling trash from gold.

Southwind --

While I will grant that there is SOME truth in your statement (but only some) that gold will generally read in a "tighter" range than iron, that to me seems like somewhat of a strawman. USUALLY, the issue isn't "is it gold, or is it iron" (though for some very small pieces of gold, or some bracelets, chains, etc. that might be the case), MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, the issue is "is it gold, or is it foil," or "is it gold, or is it a beaver tail," or "is it gold, or is it a ring tab," etc. etc. And those types of junk targets often DO have a tight VDI range...so the higher-resolution machine doesn't help you much, there.

Also, amberjack, how does a 12 kHz Tesoro ignore differentiate between aluminum and gold -- which seems to be your implication?

Steve

church of the compadre :biggrin: any 12 kHz Tesoro is a gold magnet ...

they find more because there is NO screen to consult screens for the most part are a hindrance to finding park gold that's been my experience anyway...

AJ