Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold jewelry settings.

Slatts

Hello everybody. I'm new to the 800. Looking for some good gold jewelry settings. Thanks in advance!

first, where are your going to be hunting for jewelry at?

Jasons right depends on where you are hunting...... salt water beach changes everything. Now for part two..... jewelry i can be anywhere based on what its made of, K, what other metal like silver maybe attached, even size, depth, and conditions of the soil. Its easier to tell you what trash not to dig.

I live in northern Wisconsin so my options are limited, have a few Old Farm fields and houses and a couple parks to detect. Lots of pull tabs that register 14 + Park 1 same as 10 karat gold I have tested.

Slatts said:
Fields and parks.

Oh, you want to go hardcore huh? I'm going to suggest that mode doesn't matter for turf. Just dont use beach2 because it cuts the power in half. In theory, Park2 and Field2 should respond better to low conductors like most gold, but you arent looking for super deep targets and Park1 is still hitting tiny bits of foil and aluminum really hard.

So pick whatever mode you like best, do a noise cancel, do a ground balance if you have really bad ground, then dig everything that give a solid hit on the conductive side. Good luck, you are going to dig a LOT of trash for dirt gold.

Jason..... have you used the new program? They may need to rewrite that part about reduced power....... beach 2 seems to have been improved. I didnt notice a lot of difference in depth between beach 1 and 2 in the wet sand....... before i could.

dewcon4414 said:
Jason..... have you used the new program? They may need to rewrite that part about reduced power....... beach 2 seems to have been improved. I didnt notice a lot of difference in depth between beach 1 and 2 in the wet sand....... before i could.

Yes, I but I havent used the beach modes yet. Thats interesting. When I get my EQX in the salt in a few weeks, I'll switch back and forth to check targets and see if I can notice anything

Slatts,
Just make sure your target has a good clear tone and is repeatable in both directions. Good luck!

A broken ring and a chain can toss the "good clear tone that is repeatable in both directions" right out the window.
In the past 6 months I have pulled up gold with VDI readings from 4 to 18. I'm still learning the Equinox and it is only the second of 14 detectors that has VDI. I have to say that the audio response is more important to me than the VDI in determining if I will dig or pass on a target. Have I passed up a good treasure? I am sure I have, but I know I have spent more time detecting by passing on many pieces of junk. I have noticed that multi-metal can drive me crazy, think of corroded clad, a gold and platinum ring, a silver chain with a gold pendent...the Equinox with its fast response time will "report" both metal in a single pass. Likewise four coins and a piece of iron was identifiable with the Equinox when the same "target" was passed over by me while using both a BBS and PI detector (a natural find in early testing I did). It is all about being one with your detector. One more note is that 99% of my detecting is done in fresh and salt water.

Jason...... check you digits on bottle caps and pull tabs in the wet sand. Mine were coming in at 12 for the pull tabs and had be 14 cleanly...... bottle caps went from - digit to 15 to high digit...... now CLEAN 13 with the new program. Yet ...... in the dry sand read 14 and like bottle caps did. It could be just a depth thing. Also...... ive not checked the manual GB difference of the two beach programs either. On my sand they were about 10 digits different in the same spot

Hey Jason, how's it going. I've been using my Excal for the 4 years in Salt, when I travel, but it's sold now... What's your setup and how's the machine? As you kwow the Excals have no VDI, I'm wanting to know how this EQ 800 I have will sound and act in Saltwater, Thanks

Just wanted to say thank you so much for the information. My job demands a lot of time so I haven't been able to respond to your input. Tried uploading a picture but it wouldn't let me. Haven't found gold yet but I found my first 1943 Mercury dime in Park 2, also on that same hunt not more than 5 minutes apart I found an 1882 Indian head penny. Couldn't have did it without following what you guys have shared. Funny part is and maybe it was a Depth thing the Indian Head was hitting 25 and 28 when I was swinging the Mercury dime hit 28 solid that was what the factory settings. The Merc I found was at a respectable 6 and a 1/2 in, the Indian Head was at 8 inch and it was just hammering it, had sensitivity set at 22