Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Jewelry

Miser67

May be a bit off topic for here, but I was wondering, since there is no metal detector that is designed specifically for gold jewelry (I mean more than rings, like chains, pendants, etc.), would a gold metal detector be a good substitute? I know that processed gold is different from raw gold, which is why I ask.

If you agree it is, is there a particular brand/model you recommend. I've been away from detecting for a little while.

A dedicated VLF gold hunting detector could certainly find the tiniest pieces of gold jewelry. I can't speak for PI's because I've never used one but some models today they say can find small gold at greater depths than VLF's in hotter ground. Some VLF gold hunting detectors are all-metal mode only and some come with a discrimination mode along with some sort of ID. Probably need the patience of a Saint because a lot of those hard to find gold signals means digging a LOT of targets... especially where smaller non-ferrous trash abounds. I can't really recommend a particular brand today but if you stick with the major brands you will find your oro :thumbup: Best of luck to you in your research and quest :)

Really depends on where you plan to hunt for the jewelry at. In beach sand I've heard prospecting units work fine.

For the inland sites I hunt which include athletic fields, parks, schools and playgrounds I have two recommendations: Fisher F5 with the stock 10" elliptical coil and Whites V3i. Both of these models can run hot at low gain settings which is very important when hunting small jewelry items in turf and they both have features that enhance a jewelry recovery in trash. The V3i is the more feature rich of the two, but the F5 does real well at this even with its 7.8 kHz operating frequency.

High frequency is often touted as better for small jewelry but the issue with high frequency units is that they scream on every little bit of non-ferrous trash. For small jewelry targets in non-ferrous trash you need to be able to key in to the small, solid sounding signals. The F5's 7.8 kHz can give you some definition between solid and non-solid, where as something operating in the 19kHz range cannot and it's ability to enhance the audio of the small signals is a big plus.

Besides the basic requirement of low gain with high sensitivity, the V3i has the ability to show you how the target responds in multiple frequencies. The high 22.5 kHz will scream on the tiny target but the low 2.5 kHz frequency will tell you if the target has mass. It also has multiple ways to view, enhance and focus on the targets.

Why low gain and high sensitivity? In turf, all the small stuff is in the grass roots. Surface to maybe 4" tops. The more you raise your gain the more targets and ground noise you have to deal with. You start hearing whats below your desired target depth and more masking goes on. Models that separate the Gain and Threshold (sensitivity) allow you to keep your gain low, but yet still be sensitive to the small targets. The other benefit to low gain settings is that your coil footprint is kept small so you only hear whats under your coil, not the stuff on the sides. The surface trash isn't falsing and blocking your view.

Tom Dankowski has a good video for beach hunting where in one segment he discusses micro jewelry hunting on the beach with a Fisher GoldBug II, which is a gold prospecting unit that runs at 71 kHz. If I lived near a beach, I'd use one of them. Have also heard the Gold Racer does good on beach sand for micro jewelry as well.

There is a difference between Micro and Small. Micro requires very high frequency. Small does not. the dividing like is blurred, depending on who you ask. If the F5 with a Gain of 5 and a Threshold of +5 won't give a digable signal a inch or two from the coil, I call that Micro.

Hope that helps,
HH
Mike

for inland hunting one of the best is the Tesoro Compadre it will hit a small gold chain better than a lot of the top MD in disk mode 160.00 $ bucks life time warranty

Ive had good luck with the ML gold monster for gold chains with the small coil, will find coins , rings as well , BUT still got to dig trash . The disc works quite well so no iron . One of the few vlfs
That can detect a small chain at 6 inches or so, it works so well the disc and all metal have about the same depth and sensativity on targets.
And works in black sand, high minerised soil, can be tweeked to work at salt water beach ( wet sand, not in the water ).
It gets a bad rap from those mates down under.
Even in disc it will beep on 8grams of fine gold in my test vial. Most PI‘s won't even pass the vial test.
Added note: the deep tech vista gold will pass the vial test but out in the field has unstable ground ballance issues in black sand and high minerised soil.

calibil said:
Ive had good luck with the ML gold monster for gold chains with the small coil, will find coins , rings as well , BUT still got to dig trash . The disc works quite well so no iron . One of the few vlfs
That can detect a small chain at 6 inches or so, it works so well the disc and all metal have about the same depth and sensativity on targets.
And works in black sand, high minerised soil, can be tweeked to work at salt water beach ( wet sand, not in the water ).
It gets a bad rap from those mates down under.
Even in disc it will beep on 8grams of fine gold in my test vial. Most PI‘s won't even pass the vial test.
Added note: the deep tech vista gold will pass the vial test but out in the field has unstable ground ballance issues in black sand and high minerised soil.

Very interesting....

Makro Gold Kruzer here. Will be doing some serious micro jewelry detecting this Saturday. Loving the 7.5" x 4" coil. Excellent air testing on my wife's jewelry box items down to the smallest and thinnest chains and earring backings, etc. Have been finding lead birdshot as well.

They say the gold kruzer is good for finding jewelry, but I found it was not well balanced, my neck and shoulder began hurting after 30 min, then again I'm in my late 60'6 with serious back issues. the ORX uses the 81khz, and is the lightest detector i have owned, I use the High freq. Elliptical coil, can't say I've found small gold, but I have found lots of rings (more than I have with the Nox) My friend just bought the apex and can't be happier, I was next to him when he found the gold stud from an earring a few weeks ago, I was impressed. So to answer your question yes you can find jewelry with a gold machine.
Here is what I have found in the last 30 days, the large coin is a $1 presidential dollar the 2 key like things look to be a matched pair of earrings.

Attachments

• 20201125_155347.jpg
    20201125_155347.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 412
I'm a big fan of jewelry and I like to collect old and unusual pieces. I just enjoy searching for these pieces, but sometimes it is hard to find. It seems to me that the process itself is even more interesting here than the result. My jewelry collection includes more than 100 different chains, earrings, rings, and bracelets. I'm like a maniac buying all the most interesting things. It seems to me that jewelry adds mystery to its owner, and it completes the look.

You should try detecting for jewelry, I find mostly junk but every now and then a needle in the hay stack comes along. Oh and the dozen rings I’ve found and returned to the owners always gives me a good feeling of accomplishment. Just received a Kruzer Gold detector today for finding small gold items and for nugget shooting here in Idaho.

Last edited:
Being mostly interested in relic hunting- especially colonial era, I don’t find jewelry often. Colonial jewelry is especially desirable, though gold is rare. I want to spend more of my detecting time seeking gold jewelry next year. For that I’m going to have to hit more parks, lakes, schools and backyards. My equipment is an XP Orx with X35 and high frequency coils, and two equinoxes - one I keep the 11” coil on and the other for the 6” coil. They are both 600’s so lack the gold modes but I’d use multi anyway. The Orx should be great for jewelry hunting and there are 2 gold modes also.
My goal for the year is to find a couple really nice pieces for my wife, and enough to equal the value of my Detectors. May be too ambitious cause I’m not giving up on the relic hunting.

Being mostly interested in relic hunting- especially colonial era, I don’t find jewelry often. Colonial jewelry is especially desirable, though gold is rare. I want to spend more of my detecting time seeking gold jewelry next year. For that I’m going to have to hit more parks, lakes, schools and backyards. My equipment is an XP Orx with X35 and high frequency coils, and two equinoxes - one I keep the 11” coil on and the other for the 6” coil. They are both 600’s so lack the gold modes but I’d use multi anyway. The Orx should be great for jewelry hunting and there are 2 gold modes also.
My goal for the year is to find a couple really nice pieces for my wife, and enough to equal the value of my Detectors. May be too ambitious cause I’m not giving up on the relic hunting.
If you are hunting for jewelery with the ORX do not use the gold mode, you will pick up everything, I use either coin deep, or coin fast and switch between frequencies, sometimes the 14khz, other times the 71khz, but mostly stay in the 35 range which seems to be the happy medium.

Really depends on where you plan to hunt for the jewelry at. In beach sand I've heard prospecting units work fine.

For the inland sites I hunt which include athletic fields, parks, schools and playgrounds I have two recommendations: Fisher F5 with the stock 10" elliptical coil and Whites V3i. Both of these models can run hot at low gain settings which is very important when hunting small jewelry items in turf and they both have features that enhance a jewelry recovery in trash. The V3i is the more feature rich of the two, but the F5 does real well at this even with its 7.8 kHz operating frequency.

High frequency is often touted as better for small jewelry but the issue with high frequency units is that they scream on every little bit of non-ferrous trash. For small jewelry targets in non-ferrous trash you need to be able to key in to the small, solid sounding signals. The F5's 7.8 kHz can give you some definition between solid and non-solid, where as something operating in the 19kHz range cannot and it's ability to enhance the audio of the small signals is a big plus.

Besides the basic requirement of low gain with high sensitivity, the V3i has the ability to show you how the target responds in multiple frequencies. The high 22.5 kHz will scream on the tiny target but the low 2.5 kHz frequency will tell you if the target has mass. It also has multiple ways to view, enhance and focus on the targets.

Why low gain and high sensitivity? In turf, all the small stuff is in the grass roots. Surface to maybe 4" tops. The more you raise your gain the more targets and ground noise you have to deal with. You start hearing whats below your desired target depth and more masking goes on. Models that separate the Gain and Threshold (sensitivity) allow you to keep your gain low, but yet still be sensitive to the small targets. The other benefit to low gain settings is that your coil footprint is kept small so you only hear whats under your coil, not the stuff on the sides. The surface trash isn't falsing and blocking your view.

Tom Dankowski has a good video for beach hunting where in one segment he discusses micro jewelry hunting on the beach with a Fisher GoldBug II, which is a gold prospecting unit that runs at 71 kHz. If I lived near a beach, I'd use one of them treasure jewelry. Have also heard the Gold Racer does good on beach sand for micro jewelry as well.

There is a difference between Micro and Small. Micro requires very high frequency. Small does not. the dividing like is blurred, depending on who you ask. If the F5 with a Gain of 5 and a Threshold of +5 won't give a digable signal a inch or two from the coil, I call that Micro.

Hope that helps,
HH
Mike
I recently stumbled upon a unique piece of jewelry that appears to be quite old and possibly holds historical significance. However, I'm unsure about its origins and value. It features intricate designs and what seems to be precious gemstones. Could it be an antique treasure or simply a well-made replica? I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice on how to identify such treasure jewelry. Are there specific markings or characteristics I should look for? Any recommended resources or experts to consult? Your expertise would be invaluable in unraveling this mystery. Thank you in advance for your assistance!