Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold monster 1000

Piedmontartifacts

I was thinking of getting a gm1000 for nugget shooting in NW Ga. I’ve been prospecting for some time and now have a dredge and multiple sluices. But in the last couple years got into metal detecting. I have an equinox 800 and the 6” coil but not sure it works that good on small flakes witch is mostly what I find. Any thoughts on the gm1000 for such gold?

your nox 800 & small coil will get the job done
its right on par with the gold monster (y)
it will find as small a bit & has a edge on depth
i use prospecting 1 / auto ground balance & sensitivity at 18-20
its a winner
i own both but the nox is fast becoming a favorite

wltdwiz gave you great advice. I totally agree with him. I had to make the same decision and decided I wanted more control over my detector when I was gold prospecting. I use gold 1 and gold 2 in the areas I prospect in. Sometimes the ground is so mineralized that I need to reject -9, -8 and -7 to take care of ground noise and hot rocks. Most of the really small gold, smaller than 0.1 grams is going to give you numbers in the -4 to +6 range. If you have some small gold, do some testing. You can also use a slightly adjusted Park 2 by accepting more of the iron range, using 2 tones along many other features and saving it in you custom user profile so you can easily switch back and forth to check targets more fully.

The Equinox 800 with the 6" coil is my second choice behind the Whites Goldmaster 24K and is at least equal to the XP ORX and the Makro Gold Kruzer. For me it was better than the GM 1000 just because I can adjust it much more than the GM 1000, it is waterproof, has a backlight and has a threshold tone. Even though Gold 1 and Gold 2 are limited to one tone, you get plenty of modulation in that one tone, you can raise or lower its base pitch, you can also raise or lower the volume level of that pitch, you can raise or lower the threshold tone pitch so that it sounds more different from the target pitch and you can adjust the threshold volume too, you have iron bias and recovery speed adjustments if you need them, you have onboard pinpointing and you have the Equinox numerical display screen which gives you lots of information.

Jeff

wltdwiz gave you great advice. I totally agree with him. I had to make the same decision and decided I wanted more control over my detector when I was gold prospecting. I use gold 1 and gold 2 in the areas I prospect in. Sometimes the ground is so mineralized that I need to reject -9, -8 and -7 to take care of ground noise and hot rocks. Most of the really small gold, smaller than 0.1 grams is going to give you numbers in the -4 to +6 range. If you have some small gold, do some testing. You can also use a slightly adjusted Park 2 by accepting more of the iron range, using 2 tones along many other features and saving it in you custom user profile so you can easily switch back and forth to check targets more fully.

The Equinox 800 with the 6" coil is my second choice behind the Whites Goldmaster 24K and is at least equal to the XP ORX and the Makro Gold Kruzer. For me it was better than the GM 1000 just because I can adjust it much more than the GM 1000, it is waterproof, has a backlight and has a threshold tone. Even though Gold 1 and Gold 2 are limited to one tone, you get plenty of modulation in that one tone, you can raise or lower its base pitch, you can also raise or lower the volume level of that pitch, you can raise or lower the threshold tone pitch so that it sounds more different from the target pitch and you can adjust the threshold volume too, you have iron bias and recovery speed adjustments if you need them, you have onboard pinpointing and you have the Equinox numerical display screen which gives you lots of information.

Jeff
Thanks for the info, I’ll give it some more time. I’m a huge equinox fan and have found a lot of coins, relics and cool stuff but gold fever always gets me in the spring. We had major floods so my creeks has changed and should have moved the gold around. GL&HH

The 24k really has been juiced up compared to its ancestor the GMT. When Whites says they were able to get 54% more transmit power into the coil by digitizing the GMT they are telling the truth. The 24K is the most sensitive VLF/LF gold prospecting specific detector I have ever used. Even the 6.5" round coil with the optimum settings is deeper and more sensitive than any other gold specific detector along with the Equinox no matter what coil those others are using. It is ergonomically very nice, has a great display, very adjustable advanced features, is virtually immune to EMI and is super rugged. It now has four coils specifically made for it and the new waterproof version, the GMX.
If they had wireless audio they would easily be the top of the list by far. For whatever reason, Whites has totally let them fly under the radar..........????

Jeff

p.s all metals is the way to go if your chasing small gold hit the horseshoe (y)

p.s all metals is the way to go if your chasing small gold hit the horseshoe (y)
I am surprised that small gold is reading in negative numbers but good to know. I normally hunt in all metal everywhere and turn the iron volume down but not in this case.

after digging thousands of targets with the equinox, I found that when you do hit the horseshoe and the number is neg. ,walk away it is iron. Every now and then i check a neg number for the hell of it, and it is iron. I also found that my ORX handles the Arizona soil better than the nox, but I dig more iron as I do not trust the meter, everything changes with depth, I've found the tiniest flakes with the orx and compared them with someone using the monster,they are on par with each other, I do think my orx will find a piece smaller that the nox can find, but that might just be how I use the machines.

As far as the 24k is concerned, I kept it for 4 months and sold it, no help available online or youtube. I bought a book on it but the author spent 9/10 of the book talking about himself and not the detector, I got frustrated and always went back to the Nox. 8 months after I sold it Rob Johnson (spud digger) came to Tucson and gave a demo on the 24k, I wish he had came sooner, I'm at the end of one of his videos, I tried the TDI while he was here, I think my orx beets it hands down for small gold, that think could not detect the screw in my thumb, not sure how it will find gold. I'm waiting for the new Fisher PI.

Thanks for the reply. I too have dug a lot with nox and use it on the beach a s well. I found a deal on a new GM1000 that I couldn’t pass up so I have one now. The 24k has a few more settings than I wanted to master. Simple is good. Lol GL&HH