Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Rings VS Pulltabs, Nickels

DrJoeprime

When the V3 came out I remember a lot of buzz about ID'ing gold rings from pulltabs and nickels. I haven't followed this lately and I'm curious what the newest consensus is?

As with every detector that is being made is there is no way to ID a gold ring. There will be options added and everyones count the same. The day a detector can do this everyone will own one, no questions asked.

:blowup: The lady who was making the giant claims with photos of incredible finds by using the polar plot was a flash in the pan, long gone. The V3i does have the tools to help you better your odds but there is still no substitute for digging lots and LOTS of targets to find the gold.

My hunting buddy and I have both found that gold rings almost always will give the same strength on each frequency while in search mode. Large gold rings with huge settings, not plain bands, can sometimes skew this. I dig every positive at home and and aligned frequencies at the park that repeat.

Yes,,,,unfortunately....all is true. The V3i does a great job on cutting down the junk ratio but if its a coin or ring???......I never know for sure.

As much as the V3i's features help in a decision to dig, the machines abilities come in @ third place in finding gold. Number two is your own efficiency at how long it takes from one dig to another, BUT number "ONE" is where you choose to hunt. Once you accept these facts (and adjust your habits/skills accordingly) that is when you'll see an increase in gold finds.

You put that in good perspective Scott.

95% of all the lost jewelry is recent drops and is no more than 4 inch's deep, In most of my finds it is in the 2-3 inch range, it's just faster and only takes 1 minute to dig a good repeatable target than spend 3 minutes analyzing the target.

I would like to have a stopwatch to see if it's faster to dig a target than to just analize it. Obviously if you are in doubt and think the target could be good well I always dig, but to analyze a signal doesn't take more than 30 sec. to dig you have to first analyze (you always do it more or less) you have to lay down your detector, pull out your PP, check if it is on the surface, if not pull out your digger, dig, pinpoint, eventually dig again.. ecc..ecc..ecc. it will take far more than 1 min, against 30 sec of analizing. I still think it is good to dig most targets but not all of them.

norbyx said:
I would like to have a stopwatch to see if it's faster to dig a target than to just analize it. Obviously if you are in doubt and think the target could be good well I always dig, but to analyze a signal doesn't take more than 30 sec. to dig you have to first analyze (you always do it more or less) you have to lay down your detector, pull out your PP, check if it is on the surface, if not pull out your digger, dig, pinpoint, eventually dig again.. ecc..ecc..ecc. it will take far more than 1 min, against 30 sec of analizing. I still think it is good to dig most targets but not all of them.

Yup. There are targets that scream junk. Once in a while I'll even dig those and it is rare that it is something good and if it is "good", it tends to be costume jewelry or peices parts of something cool. It hasn't happened to me but IF it is a big,custom, multi pronged gold ring......those can come up with a scattered junk reading. It is all an odds thing and wonder what I have passed up but still.....my time is an important number too and what you "miss" leaves a pit in your stomach at all producing sites anyways. For me the only thing that helps this go away somewhat is to dig a higher percentage of even the iffys when in more likely spots. Woulda,coulda,shoulda is there to learn with but once you have your own set of parameters down for digging.....don't do that to yourself because "moving forward" is when you find things.

I have to go with Rob and Scott on this one. I think you will find more experienced users don't use the analysis screens than do use the screens. That's because the same information can be found using the search screen and pinpoint screens. When I was involved in testing I had great hopes for the polar plot but ......

As Larry stated we went through a great analysis of the screens when we were first learning them on he forum. They are really the same information in a different form. If they work for you use them.

I don't have a V3 but I really admire the design of this detector and I come and lurk this forum.

I mostly beach hunt and of course gold jewelery is on the top of my list. On my machine (which I love) gold comes in anywhere from top of the foil range...through nickel...and into penny signals. More than 99.5% of the time the target is foil or nickel or pulltab or penny.

My strategy is to cover as much ground as possible. Digging a target takes me usually under 5 seconds ..and away I go. Dig enough targets in the right places and eventually we hit it.

Thanks all for your responses! Joe

I don't think 95% of all jewelry is recent drops, because at least on land most people don't gold ring hunt and are either after old or new coins. I think it's only a small percentage of hunters who land hunt mostly for rings myself. For that reason I bet at some pounded out sites there are more gold rings laying around than silver left to be found. Well, maybe not, because I've read an excellent article about how even a tiny little piece of iron shallower than a coin will mask it to any detector, and often you won't even hear the null from the iron as you pass over it because it's deep and small enough to be silent, yet it is still blocking you from seeing the deeper coin. For that reason there are probably a ton of silver coins still waiting to be found at sites people have long since given up on.

But anyway, I do agree about mainly going after the shallow (say less than 4" or perhaps only as deep as 2") signals when looking for gold rings on land. Not only does it save you time, but it also prevents a lot of nasty plugs being dug in one area as you've got to dig the junk to find the gold. By going after the shallow stuff only you can use your Pro Pointer (super tune it) to find it and then a screwdriver to pop it out of the ground quickly. Not only is this a time saver, but it also means no tons of plugs all over the place for the numerous pieces of junk you have to dig in order to find the gold. In fact, in ball diamonds and other nicer areas where I might ring hunt, the only thing I'll ever use there is a screwdriver to pop targets. Something about digging numerous plugs looking for gold in a nice ball diamond or other neat little modern park square tells me I'm at risk to be banned in my areas. At least when old coin hunting at a place like that you are digging less targets, so using a digger isn't as big of a deal *at some of those sites*. Not all, though. Some I simply won't carry a digger into even after old coins. In particular real nice fenced in ball diamonds or fancy town squares.

Now, when I'm hunting older sites looking for rings, I'll often change my strategy and go deep. I find out how deep the round tabs are and then dig any foil or tab signals (or really any signal between iron and coin for that matter) that is deeper and thus older than the round tabs and other more modern junk. Even foil has a certain age where it became common and popular, just like the round tabs. Not sure when this happened with foil (?) but I often find that if I'm only digging targets deeper than the round tabs at a site I rarely find any foil deeper than that myself. So, by "traveling back in time" before round tabs and other more modern junk, I increase my odds of that deep target being at least something good, if not in fact a gold ring.

Recently a friend used this strategy. We were hunting a site where the tabs maxed out at about 5" deep. He came over with a smile on his face and a wide band man's gold ring that was cut in half and some old letters engraved on the head that you could tell meant it was old by the style of those letters. I asked what it read as and he said lower than nickle, so obviously it read as foil. I then thought for a moment and said "What possessed you to dig that signal?" He said, "Oh, it was deeper sounding then the tabs and other more modern junk we've been digging."

But, yea...at more modern sites I always keep it shallow when digging (or more likely just probing when I can) for gold rings. It also speeds up the process of digging X amount of trash until the laws of probability finally hand you that gold ring.

Critter, I'M talking more with Hunting (very active) soccer fields & Baseball field type hunting .....Hunting for Lost Jewelry at old parks and Beach/ water hunting , yes you would need to go deep as your detector will go.

I do find almost all jewelry from "recent" drops. (By this I guess I mean in the sod or from the layer just below.) Recent population growth during that last HUGE economic upgrowth put a lot of new sports fields,parks and park expansion spots close to where I live.....limited time and close proximity has kept me in these places more than I'd like (even though I like to hunt "old"). One other factor.....people who are culturally "new" to the US/or other new cultures tend to be more "blingy" and the upwardly mobile (and just plain "blingy") loose a lot of gold in these newer areas. (This is the way it has been the world over.....since the beginning of time.)

If you live in an older area....deep is where a lot of the jewelry is but face it, most people using a detector are lazy (about digging garbage) so there's a lot of shallow stuff there too in secondary areas. (I think us "forum types" aren't......as we view this all as more of a sport than "hobby".)

Evaluate what kind of conditions are around you and adjust from there. Our hunting environments are as complex as we are.

Well said nw1886. I too try to keep my sights on big cultural events that involve alot of people. I avoid elementary and mid-schools when it comes to gold jewelry but, they yield alot of coins with minimal trash.

On the other hand, I had great success in finding gold rings in and around high school's and university grounds (w/permission of course), public swimming pools (prior to opening day), sporting events w/grandstands.

If you cherry pick around the trash (lets say pulltabs) just to get the coins, you'll never get those gold rings that you're hoping to find. Sure we do sometimes get lazy when we detect, but you gotta dig everything.

TC-NM

The very few times I "ve been with the detector when I found a gold thing it was about 1cm square thin as a coin 2 or 3 mm I cant really remember where it did hit but at that as many in forum said it was the silver foils ring, somewhere low but stable and clear.

I agree - analyze first, dig second. Sounds like a beach sand digger to me. No offense intended, just commenting on the comment.

The Shark

Gold Rings VS Pulltabs, Nickels or is it Gold Rings, Pulltabs AND Nickels? I'm sure everyone can agree no matter what type of ground a person is hunting, whether it is beach sand, loam, or highly mineralized soil on the East Coast, West Coast, Gulf Coast or points in between - there is going to be a whole lot of different signals dug to get to the gold jewelery. I believe therein lies the success to gold jewelry retrieval, dig, dig dig. If a person has success at tot lots congratulations. If a person has success at beaches congratulations. It is certain in order to recover gold jewelry, others had to have dropped it. Matters not where, matters not how. Only thing that matters when recovering it is how can one identify gold jewelry readings? For those who have recovered gold jewelry do you remember the audio signal, VDI numbers, what frequencies hit the hardest or do you remember the glint of gold in the sun the most? Mass selective target extraction is the term I like to use when I'm talking to fellow detectorists about the search for gold jewelry. Gold jewelry is recovered where it is and a person certainly can increase the odds of finding gold jewelry by not hunting where the odds are it isn't.. how can the odds be increased in other areas? I know where my gold finds have predominately come from, what they are and who may have dropped them (men , women or children). Everyone wants to find those monster sized rings with all the shinies in it. What are the odds? Use some realistic expectations and you may be pleasantly surprised. They are not coin signals, they are jewelry signals - know your detector. Happy hunting

I don't have a V3 but hunt land for rings. I have averaged over 50 rings a year 3 years running. Most of those have come from land. I find most of my rings in 1 to 4' range. I believe most hunters are looking for coins. I believe most hunters don't like digging trash and most don't use small coils in trash to find the masked targets. I believe there is a lot of gold still relatively shallow to be found. You must however be willing to dig the trash to get it. I dig pull tabs and bottle caps and foil. I found a nice 10 gram platinum ring last year digging what should have been a bottle cap according to the vdi number in a baseball field. This year I dug a $5200 pure gold chain & pendant weighing 44.7 grams near a picnic table with vdi which should have been foil or bottle cap on my detector.It is time consuming and challenging, but it sharpens your skills and I believe in the long run very rewarding. Hope this helps