Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gone Fishing with the Vaquero

square_nail

Had the day off today so loaded up the car with my fishing gear and the Vaquero. Never made it to the river because the dirt fishing was so good :bouncy:

Got on a new property that I'd been trying to work up the nerve to ask permission since I started detecting. Saw the owner outside, took a deep breath, and got out and introduced myself. Turned out he used to know my grandfather and we got to talking for about a half hour. Long story short, he gave me the run of his 500 acre property. It's part farm and part woods and has old wagon roads and at least two cellar holes.

The cellar holes were so overgrown with briers that I couldn't detect too close. Still managed to find an 1897 Indian Head, a holed 1827 Coronet Large Cent, a flat button that still has some gilt, and various other whatzits and pieces of iron. The coins cleaned up nice after a hot peroxide bath.

The Large Cent in the hole:

20140410_141008-001.jpg

After Cleaning:

DSC_0010.jpg

With the rest:

DSC_0002-001.jpg

Celebrating a good day:

20140410_180109.jpg

Happy Hunting All...

Way to go Square Nail , what kind of settings were you running on the Vaquero? Are those buttons that have the star on them? Congratulations.

Thanks Kansa54. I was running the Vaquero supertuned and set the ground balance slightly negative. I started off with the disc just above iron, but kept finding so much shotgun brass (someone must have done some target shooting there a bunch of years back) that I was taking up all my time digging them. Turned the disc up past "tab" to cherry pick and still managed to hit that large cent at a good 8 inches. I'm not sure what those things are with the stars on them. They appear to be made of copper.

Thanks KennyD and bonecrusher. I like the post-beeping celebration almost as much as the main event :) :cheers:

Very cool finds! I love my Vaquero :) Not such great sites to hunt like yours here in AZ

What could be better than a Cigar, a craft brew, on the deck, overlooking the lake on a bright sunny day, with an outdoor woodstove? Sweet!! Oh, your finds were pretty cool too!!

Fishing trumps metal detecting for me. Metal detecting is what I do if i have an hour or two to spare.

Great finds though, you made the right decision.