Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Goodbye PI.

Nauti

That's it,I'm saying goodbye to my pulse induction machine,took it out yesterday and enough is enough.......as I get older its becoming more like a medieval torture device than a pleasurable way to dig up treasure,I'm pretty sure pi stands for panting inducer after the amount of holes I dug yesterday and the heavy breathing it caused me.
Yes it doesn't miss anything whatsoever if its within the detecting range of the machine but digging up tiny pieces of iron at over 10 inches and larger pieces at depths I'd rather not think about anymore,let alone dig for,it's time to come to my senses.I think back to the times when I have dug up rings with it but then think how many holes I have dug to get that lovely ring of gold,I have enough iron to make a full scale replica of the Eiffel tower.The rewards are not worth the effort anymore for me,you just have to dig too many holes and too much rubbish to make a good find,most of the good finds on the beach,in my own experience,can be recovered with my multi frequency machine......a few inches extra depth really doesn't equate to many more finds in reality.......just more back pain.🤣
Anyway,I leave the pleasures of the pi to those more dedicated(insane) members of the detecting community who are willing to dig 47,000 items of iron at knee depth before they hit a piece of jewellry,I take my hat off to you all,you nutcases.🤣

Nauti, I hope you someday get a Deus 2, by gift, a prize or whatever. I think you would appreciate a super light well designed and performing detector. It could become your go to till you stop detecting. You only live once. I'm buying a Garmin livescope today for that reason. Here's to HH with no more back pain!

Muddy,im seriously thinking about it now to be fair,i know it performs great on the beach and is so light and as you rightly say you only live once......life is for living.😁😁
I've just bought an xterra pro as a lightweight back up to my sovereign gt.....coming next week so i may treat myself to a deus too......if i can prise my wallet open twice in a short period of time.......im tighter than the titanics propellor shafts.🤣

Last edited:
I can feel the pain, but each of my detectors with one of its coils will outperform all others in specific environments. No one detector is the ultimate machine for every environment.
VLF, Multi-Freq, PI, land/soil/sand, water salt or fresh, metal and size of object in search of, weight of detector, size of area to be searched, clean or trashy area,, type of filtering (linear or notched) if any I desire to use, and other parameters. They all come into play in my choice of what detector/coil combination I choose to use on any particular outing.

That's it,I'm saying goodbye to my pulse induction machine,took it out yesterday and enough is enough.......as I get older its becoming more like a medieval torture device than a pleasurable way to dig up treasure,I'm pretty sure pi stands for panting inducer after the amount of holes I dug yesterday and the heavy breathing it caused me.
Yes it doesn't miss anything whatsoever if its within the detecting range of the machine but digging up tiny pieces of iron at over 10 inches and larger pieces at depths I'd rather not think about anymore,let alone dig for,it's time to come to my senses.I think back to the times when I have dug up rings with it but then think how many holes I have dug to get that lovely ring of gold,I have enough iron to make a full scale replica of the Eiffel tower.The rewards are not worth the effort anymore for me,you just have to dig too many holes and too much rubbish to make a good find,most of the good finds on the beach,in my own experience,can be recovered with my multi frequency machine......a few inches extra depth really doesn't equate to many more finds in reality.......just more back pain.🤣
Anyway,I leave the pleasures of the pi to those more dedicated(insane) members of the detecting community who are willing to dig 47,000 items of iron at knee depth before they hit a piece of jewellry,I take my hat off to you all,you nutcases.🤣
Got to pick detector based on the conditions. If I'm in an area that has a lot of iron that is not giving me sufficient tell tale signs to not dig it, I'll switch to a VLF detector. If there are few targets, I'm using the PI .... and yes, I have dug bottle caps with the Impulse AQ that had to be at least 18 inches down ... I'm learning that wide signal signature is one to walk away from.

I'm no longer convinced tvr,looking back at the rings i've found with my pi in comparison to the ferous i've dug........equivalent to the world's entire stock of meccano.......and the non ferrous rubbish such as bits of ally also at silly depths,i wonder if a pi gives any advantage at all now that vlf's are reaching almost pi depths.I honestly don't think that there are many targets at all that a pi will get that a top vlf won't on the beach........most targets are either within reach of both types of machine,ie,more recent drops or too deep for any machine to really hit.This is definitely true on the beaches I hunt where the hard pack is quite a way down......targets settling here will be out of the reach of any machine and only storms that take off a lot of sand expose them to a metal detector.
I use a Sovereign GT on the beach as well as the pi and every time I go out with it I always have a more productive session than I did with the pi.......I'm ignoring almost all of the ferrous junk and some tiny ally bits so I am covering a lot more ground more efficiently so I believe I have more of a chance to go over an area that may contain a ring or other nice find.I just wonder how many more good targets are out there on the beach that could only be found if you have a detector that gives you a few more inches..........jewellry is rare anyway,a piece of jewellry that will only be found by a pi with a couple more inches depth even rarer.
Anyway I've said my goodbyes and I'm happy with my decision and I'm happy to congratulate anyone who carries on with the pi and finds that rare elusive piece of jewellry that is missed with a good vlf.😊😊

You have me wrong sir.........there is no doubt that a pi can get deeper than a vlf,I think I said the latest vlfs,particularly multi frequency units, can "almost" get to pi depths.My point was how many great targets such as rings etc lie in that extra couple of inches,from my experience hardly any so you put all that extra work in digging trash for diminishing returns on good targets.I'm not knocking a pi in any way because if somebody wants to work really hard,or wants to hunt gold fields with tiny nuggets at depth they have their place.I am however going to stick my neck out and say this from my own experiences with both a pi and a top multi frequency machine in the beach hunting environment................if you take into account the number of holes you dig to pull up trash and the time you waste doing so compared to the holes you dig and find something good,a top multi machine will be far more efficient at increasing your gold count on most beaches.
A good example was when i went out on thursday,the day that made my mind up about my pi,i hit a patch on the beach where i had severn signals in a very small area with every signal being trash......some where hair pins that didn't give the usual double beep as they were at depth,just a nice tight feint signal that you have to dig.Other targets included two screws,a bent bit of wire and and a square piece of ferrous rubbish.I carried on for a while longer in other areas hitting more trash at silly depths,not a single good signal came my way...........probably due to the fact the guys with minelabs had ignored all the trash items and hoovered up all the good targets🤣.
That is sort of my point,the extra depth doesn't mean more good signals,most of the deeper targets are also trash and it isn't worth all that extra effort (to me) to tag that ultra rare good item that may be out of reach of a top performing multi frequency unit.Had I been using my GT that day my time spent digging all those deep trash items would have instead been spent searching a much larger area of the beach which I believe increases your chances of discovering good targets rather than covering a lot less area and digging deeper holes.Each to their own and i wish you every success with your Impulse,you never know the price of scrap ferrous may increase dramatically for some reason and then you will be well sorted.🤣🤣

You have me wrong sir.........there is no doubt that a pi can get deeper than a vlf,I think I said the latest vlfs,particularly multi frequency units, can "almost" get to pi depths.My point was how many great targets such as rings etc lie in that extra couple of inches,from my experience hardly any so you put all that extra work in digging trash for diminishing returns on good targets.I'm not knocking a pi in any way because if somebody wants to work really hard,or wants to hunt gold fields with tiny nuggets at depth they have their place.I am however going to stick my neck out and say this from my own experiences with both a pi and a top multi frequency machine in the beach hunting environment................if you take into account the number of holes you dig to pull up trash and the time you waste doing so compared to the holes you dig and find something good,a top multi machine will be far more efficient at increasing your gold count on most beaches.
A good example was when i went out on thursday,the day that made my mind up about my pi,i hit a patch on the beach where i had severn signals in a very small area with every signal being trash......some where hair pins that didn't give the usual double beep as they were at depth,just a nice tight feint signal that you have to dig.Other targets included two screws,a bent bit of wire and and a square piece of ferrous rubbish.I carried on for a while longer in other areas hitting more trash at silly depths,not a single good signal came my way...........probably due to the fact the guys with minelabs had ignored all the trash items and hoovered up all the good targets🤣.
That is sort of my point,the extra depth doesn't mean more good signals,most of the deeper targets are also trash and it isn't worth all that extra effort (to me) to tag that ultra rare good item that may be out of reach of a top performing multi frequency unit.Had I been using my GT that day my time spent digging all those deep trash items would have instead been spent searching a much larger area of the beach which I believe increases your chances of discovering good targets rather than covering a lot less area and digging deeper holes.Each to their own and i wish you every success with your Impulse,you never know the price of scrap ferrous may increase dramatically for some reason and then you will be well sorted.🤣🤣
Well said.

As I said before:
Got to pick detector based on the conditions. If I'm in an area that has a lot of iron that is not giving me sufficient tell tale signs to not dig it, I'll switch to a VLF detector.

I can imagine how you feel Nauti, I have several spots I'm sure I would be coming out of there with nothing but Iron if I took my PI in.... And with the lightweight / performance of the new VLF's I would say for sure they would be the way to go at those beaches.

Now me, I have a few spots I know all that is deep, there is a high chance it is silver or gold. That is where my PI does its best work and the only reason I know is because I have hammered those spots with the Excalibur. I do think after a while one should have a fairly good idea on what is needed and I think you have come to that point.

"medieval torture device" Now that is funny!

What detector is that you have? :look:

I take my hat off to you all,you nutcases.🤣
Why I use a PI at a few beaches, .. A Pi in the right location can be "Rewarding" or as Nauti said.. "A medieval torture device" It's up to the hunter to make a solid decision based on "past target history" on what to use. And not hunt the place for years in hope of..

Notice the amount of trash in the pictures, almost none. These locations are in the water, out about chest deep where the water has/is... classified/ing the targets. Light stuff has been washed away, heavier targets have settled deep. There are areas of iron but most are in clusters, crab pots traps breaking up and on the move in the upper sand matrix. These little piece of 1 to 3 inch wire are mostly in the first 1 to 10 inches deep.. so with a PI one must skip anything that is in this zone. And how do I know what to skip.. by digging very faint targets only. And as digging, evaluate each signal. And remember, this only works at a few of my beaches, and it does not take long to see what works, and what does not work, once you become familiar with these places. Most of these gold rings I do have on video along with many more that were found with the AQ Fisher

20200725_192850.jpg

21d.jpg

20200724_183559.jpg

20200915_220027.jpg

20200904_210205.jpg

20200822_173257.jpg

10.jpg
20201209_001511.jpg

20211227_115935_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20200725_192850.jpg
    20200725_192850.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Why I use a PI at a few beaches, .. A Pi in the right location can be "Rewarding" or as Nauti said.. "A medieval torture device" It's up to the hunter to make a solid decision based on "past target history" on what to use. And not hunt the place for years in hope of..

Notice the amount of trash in the pictures, almost none. These locations are in the water, out about chest deep where the water has/is... classified/ing the targets. Light stuff has been washed away, heavier targets have settled deep. There are areas of iron but most are in clusters, crab pots traps breaking up and on the move in the upper sand matrix. These little piece of 1 to 3 inch wire are mostly in the first 1 to 10 inches deep.. so with a PI one must skip anything that is in this zone. And how do I know what to skip.. by digging very faint targets only. And as digging, evaluate each signal. And remember, this only works at a few of my beaches, and it does not take long to see what works, and what does not work, once you become familiar with these places. Most of these gold rings I do have on video along with many more that were found with the AQ Fisher

View attachment 52053

View attachment 52054

View attachment 52055

View attachment 52056

View attachment 52057

View attachment 52058

View attachment 52059View attachment 52060

View attachment 52061

In those same bay waters, many of the encrusted silver rings I've recovered disintegrate when I started to pick the encrusted coating off of them. Some can be salvaged for melt with electrolysis. I miss the big wind blow outs of some of the beach areas; but not near enough to want to live there again.

hit a patch on the beach where i had severn signals in a very small area with every signal being trash......some where hair pins that didn't give the usual double beep as they were at depth,just a nice tight feint signal that you have to dig.
Hope no one takes offense; yet it relates to finding hair pins:
HairPins.png

What detector is that you have? :look:
It's a seahunter mk 2 with the 14" coil.....well it was🤣.
Don't anyone get me wrong now it was a great machine and went to daft depths on small stuff.I tried the ignore all the big signals and just concentrate on the feint signals but most of these were also trash.
I tested it against my GT and like most pi's it punches deeper (amd my GT has a depth mod)but in my experience that was never much of an advantage.I think like most people who purchase a pi my thoughts were that i would gain an advantage with the depth and that would increase my gold count........in reality it didn't and most of the gold i found with the pi was at depths that i would have found with the GT anyway.I don't think that there are many more targets a pi will find than the best multis will find in my personal experience.......im just not willing to put in a lot more work for not much more in the way of gold rings etc.

In those same bay waters, many of the encrusted silver rings I've recovered disintegrate when I started to pick the encrusted coating off of them. Some can be salvaged for melt with electrolysis. I miss the big wind blow outs of some of the beach areas; but not near enough to want to live there again.
Yes, the hunting here is a totally different type of , than down the Carolinas. And something I have cut way back on the last few years. I agree on the crusty silver rings, most rarely survive the Chesapeake bay brackish waters. Silver coins do much better and are a sure sign gold can be near..digging copper pennies and silver dimes for me is not the best, Quarters, halfs, and nickels seem to be conformation your in the right area.

Nauti, I made that same decision regarding PI machines many many moons ago when I was testing detectors for KellyCo. The Garrett ATX and Sea Hunter convinced me beyond any doubt that digging 16-18 inches for a Bobbi pin was not in the cards for me…. No way. I’m more than happy with my Deus II. 👍🏻