Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gorgeous Silver!! :crazy:

jjaddict

Back to the new site today for an hour, dug a fired civil war bullet, looks to be a .44 colt army revolver round, haven't even really looked at it or cleaned it yet, too excited bout my next find.

Dug my second 1918 d Mercury dime for the year, the other was in really nice shape, but this new one is almost uncirculated. After blowing it up, I can see a few fine surface scratches, but other than that, it's perfect. I'm not a coin expert, but I have a few thoughts about this coin, if anyone knows more than I do let me know what you think. The front has what looks like a scratch at first glance on the bottom and on the neck, but when I look more closely it seems to be raised, is this from a cracked die possibly? Would that account for why it is such a weak strike? Also, when in the right light, and in the blown up picture you can see it some too, you can see a starburst pattern radiating out from the center on both the front and back, not scratches, is this a typical pattern formed from the striking process?? Would love any feedback anyone can give me. Oh, and would a cracked die coin, be more or less valuable?

The pictures don't do the coin justice, but do show how much detail is there. I'm so stoked about this coin, it's the best condition silver I have in my meager collection. Thanks for looking, and HH!!

Ok, after doing a little web-based research, it appears that it is a cracked die, kinda neat, doesn't add any value though. It does have a tiny bit of wear, there should be a line between the center bands on the reverse in uncirculated condition. Not much original luster on it either, all in all, still a beautiful coin to me.

That dime is in superb conditition. Has the full horizontal lines in the bands on the fasces. Awesome buddy!! Be stoked......

at right there is a good lookin coin. Challenger get that for you ? how deep was it, etc., etc. ?

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, got it with the Challenger, only machine I have right now. Can't say exactly how deep it was, had trouble finding it after I opened the plug up, it must have been on edge, or there was some iron in the hole nulling the machine out. If it's a coin target, it usually only takes me a few seconds to find, this one was kind of a bugger, wasn't expecting a coin after searching for a bit. I would guess that it wasn't much deeper than three inches. The barber that I found the day before was probably dropped around the same time, and it was 3-4 inches deep.

Very nice coin congrats

That is a good looking Merc! :surprised:

After doing a little more research about coins, I found out that the "starburst" pattern that I can see in the coin are called "flow lines". They form as the coin is struck and the metal flows outwards, kinda neat.

Congrats