Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got a new V3with some sort of coil problem.

ScottTX

I just received a new Spectra V3. Charged the batteries and took it to the yard for a try. Switched the unit on and to my surprise it started finding targets without even lowering the unit to the ground. One right after another cycling through targets like crazy.

Well, I switched the unit off and back on. Same thing cycling targets like crazy. Random with no way to stop it. Tried the "AA" cell battery pack. Nothing different cycling targets in the air. Tried a different part of the yard. Same thing no change. I have both a PulseScan TDI and MineLab SE Pro and neither of those react like this in the yard so it's not EMI.

I tried the unit in the house away from all metal to do some air testing. Same thing turn the unit on and it just starts finding imaginary targets in the air. Cycling from -40's to +80's.

I unplugged the coil and the control box normalized to a background hum. From this it appears to me that there is a short in the coil or the cord leading from the coil to the control box.

So, I'm waiting on UPS to pick this one up and then bring me another.

Hope, I have better luck next time.

IDIG.
I think you may just be having EMI trouble with your V3, Numbers jumping, sounding off all the time are symtoms of EMI.
Power lines-systems can do it, it can be pretty bad, I know it has happened to my V3.
I think there are posts on EMI and how to deal with it in this forum, but you may not be able to get rid of it in some locations.
Removing the loop removes the detector "antenna." so to speak, that will be why the noise etc stopped.
Any way I hope you get it sorted out so you can enjoy your new detector.
By the way, I can use my explorer XS in places the V3 is unusable due to EMI.

Happy hunting.

Rob..

Most of the factory programs are to hot right out of the box to use.If you back the sensitivities down to get it stable that will stop. Very common problem with new owners.I was having the same issue called Todd at service he said to back Rx gain down, Disc down to 75 and all metal to 50 as a starting point to get it stable.Read the Manuel over and over has a steep learning curve. I have had mine for 7 months and just started to be comfortable with it in last 2 months

Thanks.

What y'all have said tells me a lot about White's. Their V3 literature says one thing 'just switch it on and go' verses 'Most of the factory programs are to hot right out of the box to use.' There is a non-sequitar between their literature and reality.

I've used detectors for 37 years or so and I've never had one act like this out of the box.

Anyway thanks for the info. I'll give these tips a try.

Try it in the commons program .that should tell you if something is wrong if it is still acting crazy. But it does sound to hot for the area. Yazoo

IDig said:
Thanks.

What y'all have said tells me a lot about White's. Their V3 literature says one thing 'just switch it on and go' verses 'Most of the factory programs are to hot right out of the box to use.' There is a non-sequitar between their literature and reality.

I've used detectors for 37 years or so and I've never had one act like this out of the box.

This machine is not like anything that has been made in the last 37 years

I do some indoor bench testing, and use the 5.3 inch coil on minimum settings away from walls and floors. The D2 is simply too sensitive.

Don't let that driver get away! Simply take your V3 down the road into a field, and it will be turn on and go. You probably have some weird EMI thingy at your house. Is it humid out? It will be worse. I get this sometimes at certain houses, sometimes a dog fence will do it. You can work around it when you figure out the machine (give it a few weeks) but for now just go somewhere else and have some fun. Get back to your own back yard when you learn about frequency offset, sensitivity adjustment, and switching to single frequency...the V3 can do it all as long as you are up to the task!

The village idiot,

Taterhead

IDig said:
Thanks.

I'd rather have it able to be too hot then not have the power and sensitivity when I need it. It's like my 4 wheel drive pickup, I hardly ever use the option but boy when I need it what a god send. The V3 is what most of us expected it to be and I love mine and have had no complaints right out of the box. My first weekend hunt with the V3 got me a record amount of quarters, a story with Whites and a hundred dollar certificate. What more can I say? Rob

I have a new V3 with excessive targeting issues... I have only had it a few days and have only been out side with it a few times with similar results (the cold weather has frozen the ground here in NC). I have read a number of good things here to check and appreciate everyones experience with the V3. I have been through the manual and video several times and still missed the probe function and the purpose of the common program. Could someone help me with what or how using the Common Program, would tell me if I have a EMI issues? It is difficult to ground balance because I am never quite sure if I have clear spot on the ground to start from. I do see real targets, but I really have to search them out of the false target chatter.
The ground here in Mooresville, NC is mostly clay and some dirt on top. My Garrett 2500 does not act this way, so I assume I have a set up issue with my V3 for my area that I am missing, or could I possibly I have a bad coil, which would surprise me given Whites reputation for quality. I hate to go buy another coil of another size that won't really tell me how to use or deal with my stock 10" D2. The Program I have been using and experienced these issues with is the factory Coin and the Factory Coin & Jewelry. I have returned these programs to factory default after trying to lower Rev Gain and Tx gain as I mentioned before. Both programs act exactly the same, no difference in excessive false targeting no matter the gain settings. The display looks like a pinball machine!

n/t

I have only had it a few days and have only been out side with it a few times

The V isn't the simplest detector for some people to understand. I will say this again. Use the search feature. He's some info from the forum.

The best way to check your coil is to set your gain to 15, turn TX Boost on with the coil in the air (not on the ground or around other metal). If you don't get an overload, your coil is good. That is what the detector is designed for - not overloading at the extremes. The probe (zoom on the sensitivity live control) that suggests a recommended gain is not a good coil test.

EMI
1) Switch to a band pass filter as the band pass filters will filter out more noise than the high pass filters
2) Try different frequency offsets
3) Try the various single frequencies
4) Lower disc sensitivity
5) Try correlate mode rather than best data (if in 3 frequency mode).

The best practice is to use the Rx gain to accommodate interference and then to utilize the Disc Sensitivity to optimize depth. I am not advocating necessarily running RX gain way low. The setting you choose for the V3 will depend on your hearing and the amount of interference.

The common program isn't use to compensate for EMI. It was intended for indoor demo's for dealers. Also it can be used to set features like custom tones that I want my custom programs without having to set them again for each program. This has also been covered in forum posts. Rob

Well, I waited for an answer from you guys and gals for a few hours this morning and figured everyone was at working or out swinging and hadn't seen my post. A few may have thought, can't he read, in other words, go check all the old post for EMI issues. Well, I did that, and a few where helpful. One good one said, get out of your house, it is just local EMI, go down the street and use it. Most where not completely relevant, just general shot gun suggestions but they where meant to be helpful. So I thought to my self, if that is the case and, oh yea, I am an RF (Radio Frequency) engineer (I have designed AM, FM, TV and Satellite Transmitters) if it is an EMI issue, I ought to be able to figure this out on my own. So with the V3 set in the Factory Default COIN MODE, I first check to see if both the coils I had acted the same. The answer was yes, lots of faults target hits, it didn't

That's a nice logical way to diagnose the problem. And an interesting twist on using the signagraph. Now get out there and find some targets!! Good luck and thanks for the post very insightful.

Thanks for the reply,I did do a search, in fact several... Very good suggestion and yes your right, the V3 is not the easiest detector to get your arms around at first. First let me say there was no problem with the V3, just a very sensitive instrument and a nervous new owner. Did I spend all this money for nothing? Well, the answer to that is absolutely not, it is an outstanding metal detector, far more sensitive than any I have owned, including my GTI 2500, which up to now I have loved like no other. After working my V3 through this local EMI issues, I have gained allot of knowledge and even great respect for the design team at White. They really have design a detector that is way out in front of anything else out there. If I wasn't completely sold before, I sure am now... My nervousness is over, I made the right purchase.

One more thing I don't know if you over looked during your analyzing,would be the SEF coil not being V rated.If I understand this all the SEF doesnt use the 22.5 freq.Then again I might be wrong. And I like you graff work. Yazoo

I'm not 100% sure about using all of the frequencies on the SEF, but it seemed like it was working OK in the 22.5 mode, single and Best Data. At least on the 10X12 that I was using at the time.

The SEF is supposed to be V3 rated per advertising and reviews. I tested it on all frequencies using one at ta time once and all three best data, I used hi gain recv and transmit boost, It seemed to work very well. on all frequency and power levels....

I see they say the 6x8 is V3 listed, I wonder? Rob