Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got out between rain showers with my new Omega

donl98632

My Omega arrived Tuesday and its been raining since Monday. Had about a 15 minute break between showers so ran out side and gave it a try. Only tried disc at 1, sense at 70, 2 tones, with the stock coil. Found 1 quarter, 4 pennies, and a old style pull tab. Did seem to me that even though it calls d-2 a 2 tone mode that there was a lot of subtle differences in the sound of various items, seems to lock on id very well on good targets.

I'm always curious where a person lives, generally, as that helps connect with the type of ground mineral they might have. Also, how long have you been detecting and which make/model detectors have you used? That helps me, and others, get an idea of your experience and how you are adapting to the Omega. To be honest, I had some reservations about the Teknetics line, other than the T2 which I already had acquired to check out. I was kind of 'encouraged' by two dealers to give it a try and tell them what I thought, and finally in March of 2010 I broke down and bought a 3-coil package Omega. That way I could check it out along with the coils available for it (except the round 8" coil).

A few 'problems' surfaced after about 1-4 weeks of using the Teknetics Omega.

Problem #1. Since I own several detectors and usually work with them all for different situation needs, I found myself using several of them less and less, usually grabbing the Omega at most hunt sites.

Problem #2.. I have a bad back and shoulder and neck and sometimes would get tired too quickly using some models, thus causing me to grab the Omega more often.

Problem #3.. There are some models that I used a lot, but back problem at the time caused me to look for something that offered better balance and lighter weight. My favorite White's detectors in my personal arsenal were the MXT Pro and M6 and XLT, and my only Teknetics prior to the Omega was my T2. There is no 'perfect' detector so I like to have 2 or 3 or 4 or ?? on hand for my needs, or as a loaner unit for family, friends and property owners. I like simple, but I also like ample, that meaning enough adjustment function to let me accomplish my needs. I found the omega to touch each base and in little time at all I was using it much more.

Problem #4.. It's difficult to NOT lean too strongly toward the Omega when customers are shopping and asking for the best dollar value. Everything I carry fills a particular niche, and the Omega seems to be one of the most obvious value package attention getters. I know I was glad I was heavily tempted to check out the Omega. Their encouragement made me an Omega Owner and User, and drew my attention to their entire line-up to sell and promote

Sometimes, 'problems' are good. :thumbup:

I'll be honest, however, and confirm that I am not a ONE DETECTOR type of guy. If I was, I might have to make it one detector from two or more manufacturers because for me, and my varied needs and types of sites I like to frequent, there just isn't a 'perfect detector' made. Today, my main-use models from White's are the MXT Pro followed by the M6. Now and then I tinker around with the V3i, but like I mentioned earlier, I really prefer 'simple'. Ample adjustments and features, but simple to set-up and operate. My main-use Teknetics models are the Omega, the G2, and the Delta.

I no longer have an XLT or T2. I feel the Omega offers more information and more operator selections and visual information than many people might appreciate until they spend the time and learn it well. You made a very good detector pick.

donl98632 said:
My Omega arrived Tuesday and its been raining since Monday. Had about a 15 minute break between showers so ran out side and gave it a try.
Now the fun begins! Question, other than those I wondered about earlier, is: Did you buy the Omega with only one search coil? Which coil is it, and if you have extra coils, what are they?

donl98632 said:
Only tried disc at 1, sense at 70, 2 tones, with the stock coil. Found 1 quarter, 4 pennies, and a old style pull tab. Did seem to me that even though it calls d-2 a 2 tone mode that there was a lot of subtle differences in the sound of various items, seems to lock on id very well on good targets.
Many folks who post here will list the settings used and the Ground Phase read-out of the site they hunt. Some of us (I know I have) request that because it is interesting comparison information for other Omega users.

You used the minimum Disc. setting of '1', and that's where I set my Omega 98& of the time. I like to hear it all, unless it is especially trashy. Instead, I listen to it and rely on the Tone ID and VDI read-out.

You used 2 Tones which I use the most for serious hunting. For typical urban 'Coin Hunting' I opt for the 4-Tone audio because I like that audio alert for a possible US 5

Monte said:
I'm always curious where a person lives, generally, as that helps connect with the type of ground mineral they might have. Also, how long have you been detecting and which make/model detectors have you used? That helps me, and others, get an idea of your experience and how you are adapting to the Omega. To be honest, I had some reservations about the Teknetics line, other than the T2 which I already had acquired to check out. I was kind of 'encouraged' by two dealers to give it a try and tell them what I thought, and finally in March of 2010 I broke down and bought a 3-coil package Omega. That way I could check it out along with the coils available for it (except the round 8" coil).

Live at Silver Lake, Wa., been detecting since the mid 80's, started with a Whites 6000di and bought a XLT when they first came out, used the XLT untill last year.

A few 'problems' surfaced after about 1-4 weeks of using the Teknetics Omega.

Problem #1. Since I own several detectors and usually work with them all for different situation needs, I found myself using several of them less and less, usually grabbing the Omega at most hunt sites.

Problem #2.. I have a bad back and shoulder and neck and sometimes would get tired too quickly using some models, thus causing me to grab the Omega more often.

Problem #3.. There are some models that I used a lot, but back problem at the time caused me to look for something that offered better balance and lighter weight. My favorite White's detectors in my personal arsenal were the MXT Pro and M6 and XLT, and my only Teknetics prior to the Omega was my T2. There is no 'perfect' detector so I like to have 2 or 3 or 4 or ?? on hand for my needs, or as a loaner unit for family, friends and property owners. I like simple, but I also like ample, that meaning enough adjustment function to let me accomplish my needs. I found the omega to touch each base and in little time at all I was using it much more.

Problem #4.. It's difficult to NOT lean too strongly toward the Omega when customers are shopping and asking for the best dollar value. Everything I carry fills a particular niche, and the Omega seems to be one of the most obvious value package attention getters. I know I was glad I was heavily tempted to check out the Omega. Their encouragement made me an Omega Owner and User, and drew my attention to their entire line-up to sell and promote

Sometimes, 'problems' are good. :thumbup:

I'll be honest, however, and confirm that I am not a ONE DETECTOR type of guy. If I was, I might have to make it one detector from two or more manufacturers because for me, and my varied needs and types of sites I like to frequent, there just isn't a 'perfect detector' made. Today, my main-use models from White's are the MXT Pro followed by the M6. Now and then I tinker around with the V3i, but like I mentioned earlier, I really prefer 'simple'. Ample adjustments and features, but simple to set-up and operate. My main-use Teknetics models are the Omega, the G2, and the Delta.

I no longer have an XLT or T2. I feel the Omega offers more information and more operator selections and visual information than many people might appreciate until they spend the time and learn it well. You made a very good detector pick.

donl98632 said:
My Omega arrived Tuesday and its been raining since Monday. Had about a 15 minute break between showers so ran out side and gave it a try.
Now the fun begins! Question, other than those I wondered about earlier, is: Did you buy the Omega with only one search coil? Which coil is it, and if you have extra coils, what are they?

I bought it with the stock coil and also purchased a used 11" DD coil, when I can, I will buy the 5" DD as well
'

donl98632 said:
Only tried disc at 1, sense at 70, 2 tones, with the stock coil. Found 1 quarter, 4 pennies, and a old style pull tab. Did seem to me that even though it calls d-2 a 2 tone mode that there was a lot of subtle differences in the sound of various items, seems to lock on id very well on good targets.
Many folks who post here will list the settings used and the Ground Phase read-out of the site they hunt. Some of us (I know I have) request that because it is interesting comparison information for other Omega users.

You used the minimum Disc. setting of '1', and that's where I set my Omega 98& of the time. I like to hear it all, unless it is especially trashy. Instead, I listen to it and rely on the Tone ID and VDI read-out.

You used 2 Tones which I use the most for serious hunting. For typical urban 'Coin Hunting' I opt for the 4-Tone audio because I like that audio alert for a possible US 5

Don.....lol.....only us crazy detectorists would bolt outside for 15 mins of detecting:) You have a excellent machine...and some advice to start off with from one of the detecting greats.....Monte. Yeah, that's right Monte.....I am going to emabarass you:)

when you can put the 5" DD in your set-up, I think you'll be quite impressed with the performance.

I'm getting ready for a group ghost town outing and leave June 12th, then following that, Aundrea, Chris & I will make a 3-man person assault on two or three others in Utah and Nevada. My G2 is ready with the solid 5

"and the 5" coils performance, when worked at a good, functional slower sweep speed, will really surprise you."
Monte

Don, one can sweep really slow and get amazing depth. Man, I love that 5" coil.

Monte is right the 5 inch dd coil on the Omega,the Gamma or the Delta is amazing, it could be the best coil of them all.....Markmac