Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got out on Monday, and dug a few keepers...

Steve....while this is posted under the EQX forum and we can assume that’s what you were using, there would have inevitably been someone else(just about EVERYONE else) who would’ve showed a coin on the machines housing with the brand name and model in the picture and had the words “EQUINOX, EQX or NOX“ somewhere in the story....you know the ones I mean, especially with other brands. To leave all that nonsense out of the pictures and story really makes a better read for all, because it makes your experience more “available” to all. Does that make sense? Sometimes leaving out the “obvious details” seems less “evangelical” and more “normal guy”. It takes a certain amount of restraint to not be a zealot...I respect that, whether intentional or not.:thumbup:
Now that you’re not confused by my confusion....this thing has turned out to be just what we had hoped it was going to be 2 years ago....another very capable machine from ML. I certainly have uses for it, although it took me 75+ hours to tune it in. I think it like that for us “analytical guys”....I was trying too hard, just as I had done with the Explorer at first. Having the more expensive model and being able to finely adjust critical(to me anyway) parameters really leaves options open and makes hunting some terrible sites easier for sure. Im glad to see you seem to have it working well for you, hunts like that are pretty rare. Why things are where they are matters not...as long as you find them!
It’s snowing now here so I’m not happy with that but it’s only 2 months to spring, right?

I wonder if the guy is still alive and kicking, i have no idea how old he must be these days....a bit off topic i know ....The ultimate thrill must be to design a Metal Detector on paper , build it and get out and actually find coins & other nice things! ....

professor -- I'm not sure; I never knew him but I do think that was a good number of years ago. But I totally agree with you; it would be AMAZING to put your ideas onto paper, actually bring the project to fruition, and then -- using the idea you dreamed up -- actually go out and find treasure with it! What a thrill that would be!

Steve

Hi all!

It was a beautiful day here on Monday -- and my buddy and I got out for some digging. We hit a park that I had never hunted before, but he's been there several times over the years. As all of our city parks are, it's been well hunted, but after a couple of hours I lucked into a little "hot spot." It was a very small area, as it turns out -- maybe 30' x 30' maximum -- but I started hitting deep coins. Each one was at least 7" deep, but most of them were Garrett Pro-Pointer deep (8" to 9"), the deepest pushing 10". My guess is that for whatever reason, the coins ended up deeper than normal in this little area (I know a layer of sod had been installed here, as I was cutting through that plastic "mesh" underneath the grass layer), and that they ended up just deep enough that they were missed by most other hunters/other machines.

Whatever the case, it's always nice to get into a little area that gives up coins like that; after I had hit several coins (enough to convince me there was something going on there) I called my buddy over to join in on the paydirt. All told, we managed 14 old coins from this tiny little area, plus a few buttons and other interesting items. It's been quite awhile since I've hit a little "hot spot" that was that productive, in a public spot...

Here are my digs; I got several of these as "live digs" on video, so I may try to piece together a video (if I can give myself a crash course, and learn how to edit well enough)!

(The Mercs are 1935-D, 1942, 1944, and 1945; the Rosie is 1959; the Wheats are 1920-D, 1937-D, 1941, and 1946, and the Buffalo is 1937).

Thanks, all!

Steve

View attachment 331
Congrats some great fines.

Steve....while this is posted under the EQX forum and we can assume that’s what you were using, there would have inevitably been someone else(just about EVERYONE else) who would’ve showed a coin on the machines housing with the brand name and model in the picture and had the words “EQUINOX, EQX or NOX“ somewhere in the story....you know the ones I mean, especially with other brands. To leave all that nonsense out of the pictures and story really makes a better read for all, because it makes your experience more “available” to all. Does that make sense? Sometimes leaving out the “obvious details” seems less “evangelical” and more “normal guy”. It takes a certain amount of restraint to not be a zealot...I respect that, whether intentional or not.:thumbup:
Now that you’re not confused by my confusion....this thing has turned out to be just what we had hoped it was going to be 2 years ago....another very capable machine from ML. I certainly have uses for it, although it took me 75+ hours to tune it in. I think it like that for us “analytical guys”....I was trying too hard, just as I had done with the Explorer at first. Having the more expensive model and being able to finely adjust critical(to me anyway) parameters really leaves options open and makes hunting some terrible sites easier for sure. Im glad to see you seem to have it working well for you, hunts like that are pretty rare. Why things are where they are matters not...as long as you find them!
It’s snowing now here so I’m not happy with that but it’s only 2 months to spring, right?

IDX -- OH! Gotcha! Now I'm tuned in to what you meant. :) Yes sir, it makes sense, and I do understand and agree with what you are saying. It can make it harder to share in and enjoy someone's finds with them, if it seems that the real reason they posted the finds was just to try and get a plug in, for the machine they were using... Understood! :)

Yes, I was a bit surprised that you got an Equinox, and impressed that you stuck with it long enough to learn it, and come to see its usefulness. NOT because I doubt you in any way, it's just that you are SO good with your CTX, and you know that machine so well, that it's HARD (I know from experience) to be disciplined enough to spend the time and effort to learn a new machine. When you commit to learning a new unit, there's that knowledge in the back of your head that while you are still a "novice" with the unit you are trying to learn, that you are very likely leaving good finds in the ground, due to your inexperience, that you likely would NOT have missed, running your more familiar "machine of choice." And for me anyway, that makes it hard to commit to a switch!

It was easier for me, to commit to learning the Equinox specifically, as in that case I was still relatively new to the CTX when the EQX was introduced. I ran the Explorer for so long, that I was REALLY comfortable with it, but when my last one died, and with them being out of production, it seemed the logical time to switch to the CTX. But then, it was less than a year later that the EQX was announced. SO -- it was easier, I think, for me to dedicate the time to learning the Equinox, because I hadn't been using the CTX all that long. But for you, I wasn't sure you had any desire to add it to your arsenal -- given your CTX prowess!

Yes, it's definitely another very capable machine; Minelab does a good job IMO of making sure they pack top-notch performance into their detectors. All I can say is this...when Minelab brings the "CTX replacement" machine to market, which I sure hope includes 2-D screen, FE/CO numbers and target trace (plus whatever other new ideas they might come up with), that is the machine I can't wait to learn! :)

Thanks, bro!

Steve

Nice find Steve . My yard is white 🙁

Yeah, Steve, you can still find those little 'hot spots'....even in hammered parks.
(Although it's getting harder, and takes longer in-between.)

My hunting buddy and I found one of those a couple years back that gave up seated and barbers like we'd won the lottery.
It's a great/fun feeling, and reminds me of what it was like hunting in the '70s.

Well done,
:thumbup:
mike

Mike --

WOW -- I'd have loved to have been in on that one!

But yes, they are getting harder and harder to come by. Another hunting buddy and I hit one of those back in like 2012 -- and this little "hot spot" was amazing! We must have pulled at least 60 old coins from a very small area, mostly Barbers, V nickels, and Indian Heads, but a couple of Seated coins also (a relative rarity for Oklahoma). Coin dates ranged from the 1870s to 1907...it was a BLAST! Like you say, it feels like you won the lottery, and yes -- I had to imagine that it WAS just like what it must have been like back in the 70s. I was too young to have been detecting then, but I've heard stories... o_O:yikes: