Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got Punked at the Park!

coondog

:shrug:Went to a small park early Sunday morn. Now I'm used to allot of Zink penny signals but this was ridicules. I spent most of my time on my knees trying to clear an area with my pinpointed just so I could make a few sweeps. It started out bad and got worse. There were penny's on top of penny's some times four touching each other. Many times one on top another.

The picnic area I'm working is only about half an acre and by my guesstimate there must be over a thousand penny's. They run from surface to a half inch deep. That makes them especially obnockchas because of the triple hits from being so close to surface.
So long story even longer I'm about to give up and I get a 12:42 at 7 ". Aha! Wheat penny, alittle while later a 12:45 at 6" now I'm thinkin silver quarter but nope just a extremely deep clad quarter. Then I get a scratchy 12:43 at 8" hitting both ways loud and squeaky. BINGO! a 9" measured Rosie that looks like the day it was minted.

So now I have a new spot that should produce a few silver , but looks like I'm really going to have to earn it.

Anybody else ever seen an area so infested with so many pennies and not much but some other clad.

I was thinking maybe a pinyata full of candy and pennies but the area is way to big.

I also think that these pennies were all sprewn about at the same time about 3 or four years ago.

You earned that... I personally have not detected a place that infested with pennies, well I dug a 100 plus penny coin spill right in my backyard. But it was very compact and it was clad

[size=medium]On the rare occasion my 9 year old daughter wants to go detecting with me I take her to a place I call the penney pond. It's easy hunt and she gets excited finding the penny's. Weird thing is it is in the mide of a soccer practice field. Like was mentioned earlier, I think it was a pinyata loaded with penny's as they are concentrated in about a 30x 30 area.[/size]

Yup, been there.
Not as extreme your 1000's, but worthy of mention.

If you like surface pennies, spend some time working the ground around a local skate park.

We have one in our town call "Lincoln Park", not kidding!

We need to get it changed to Zincoln Park, as my buddy and I pulled nearly 100 of them boogers from the area one morning, mostly on our knees working the pin pointer.

That sucked! :thumbdown:

Coondog,

I'm finding that more and more: sites that have hundreds of clad coins that keep you from finding the deeper older coins. I'll dig quarter signals sometimes, but don't want to bother with the smaller stuff.

Chris

That sounds annoying

I have a park here in Northern Ca that has been in use since the town was founded, late 1850's. There are so many pennies that you can identify one every 12" and some areas are worse that this. We are in the process of cleaning it out.

I've got the CTX set to Disc modern pennies ... don't want to hear, see, or dig them anymore. I still get the older copper pennies since they ID higher.

Johnny I was just thinking I should try that. I have blotted out a few small spots in my coin program and it seems to work very well. I did it last year and I think it was the bottle cap area and some type of pull tab, but anyway it seems to have cut down on the screechy stuff and some of the louder low tones. Now if I hear tones in those areas I can hear it break in and out of that area but minus the loudest part. I can also see it build a dot on the screen right over those bolted out areas. This saves me allot of time.
Seems like many other machines are having a hard time with bottle caps but not me.

Anyway how does that seem to work for you? Have you done that for enough time that you think your not missing any silver? Do you use it all the time or just some spots? Can deep silver break through enough to get past a triple surface hit? I'm a little concerned because most my deep silver dimes are hitting 11:37 to 11:39 with an occasional flare to 12:45.:confused:

Johnnyanglo said:
I've got the CTX set to Disc modern pennies ... don't want to hear, see, or dig them anymore. I still get the older copper pennies since they ID higher.

Any chance of Indian Heads in your area...? You may be discriminating those out as well.