Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got somewhat hassled this morning.

jim tn

As is my practice on Sunday mornings after spouse and self go to early Church and make a donut stop after, I go to one of three old city schools for a couple hours of detecting. With city schools starting tomorrow I had already decided if several cars were around the school I selected I would move on figuring some teachers might be there getting their classroom ready for tomorrow. Upon arriving noted one dark colored SUV parked under a tree on the edge of the school parking lot. Ok, good to go, I thought.

About 5 min after getting started swinging, noted a young man walking out of one of the School doors in my direction. As I was already swinging in his direction I carried on. As we got a few yards apart he motioned for me to remove my head phones and after doing so he asked me "do you have permission to be doing what you are doing on school grounds?" I stated, "I don't need permission to metal detect on school property". He said, "I just got a call from someone and they said that man can't be out there detecting and I was asked to tell you to leave unless you have permission." I said, who are you?" He said, "the weekend custodian." I nicely replied, "that person is wrong, this is not a private school and there are no laws or ordnances against metal detecting on any city owned property such as schools, parks, fairgrounds, and the like." He said, "well, ok," and started to walk away while reaching in his pocket for his phone. I said, "hey, its really too hot for any serious detecting and I will leave. However, tell that person that called you they better know the laws before harassing anyone because the next person they harass may not be as nice as me and call the cops that they are being harassed. Which, is against the law." He gave me a slight knowing smile and moved on. I left and am now enjoying a cool one. HH jim tn

As is my practice on Sunday mornings after spouse and self go to early Church and make a donut stop after, I go to one of three old city schools for a couple hours of detecting. With city schools starting tomorrow I had already decided if several cars were around the school I selected I would move on figuring some teachers might be there getting their classroom ready for tomorrow. Upon arriving noted one dark colored SUV parked under a tree on the edge of the school parking lot. Ok, good to go, I thought.

About 5 min after getting started swinging, noted a young man walking out of one of the School doors in my direction. As I was already swinging in his direction I carried on. As we got a few yards apart he motioned for me to remove my head phones and after doing so he asked me "do you have permission to be doing what you are doing on school grounds?" I stated, "I don't need permission to metal detect on school property". He said, "I just got a call from someone and they said that man can't be out there detecting and I was asked to tell you to leave unless you have permission." I said, who are you?" He said, "the weekend custodian." I nicely replied, "that person is wrong, this is not a private school and there are no laws or ordnances against metal detecting on any city owned property such as schools, parks, fairgrounds, and the like." He said, "well, ok," and started to walk away while reaching in his pocket for his phone. I said, "hey, its really too hot for any serious detecting and I will leave. However, tell that person that called you they better know the laws before harassing anyone because the next person they harass may not be as nice as me and call the cops that they are being harassed. Which, is against the law." He gave me a slight knowing smile and moved on. I left and am now enjoying a cool one. HH jim tn
Well played Mr. Jim. I’ll drink 🍺 to that 😎

Enjoy the opportunity , all the schools here look like mediium security prisons now. There are no laws against detecting the property but there is no longer access to almost all of the schools regardless if there are students present or not. Tens of millions of dollars of public property unavailable for public use behind 6' chain link fences and self closing commercial type gates.

Enjoy the opportunity , all the schools here look like mediium security prisons now. There are no laws against detecting the property but there is no longer access to almost all of the schools regardless if there are students present or not. Tens of millions of dollars of public property unavailable for public use behind 6' chain link fences and self closing commercial type gates.
A few here are fenced, too. Those are in really bad area's. The few I do hunt, I pick my times such as Sun and holidays. First time today ever being hassled on one. HH jim tn

Allway's some @sshole out there to cause problem's. I had a similar situation where i was detecting a totlott with wood chip's behind some church on a weekday.
Didn't notice anyone so i started detecting this tottlott, Next thing i hear is someone asking why am i messing up the totlott, I was like WTF it's just some wood chips what am i hurting it's a totlott for f sake's without the cuss word's.
It was 3 gentlemen from the church who said they heard my Deus sounding off and wondered what i was doing. I said i didn't see no tresspassing sign's so thought i was good to go NOPE. So i just walked away
and left that area.

just recently i was detecting a school , and digging neat holes, and also picking up the trash that was near , and i had just found a silver chain and after a bit an SUV pulls up and they opened the window and asked me if i was finding anything, I said, Ya lots of clad and i showed him the chain , then to my supersize. He said I see you are careful and said he was the principle of the school and he said you have my permission to detect and if anyone hassles you just tell them I said its O,K and he even said I should try the football fieldand he told me where everyone sat in the grass. so try asking the priciple . I remember asking a church if I could detect the lot and the guy said I will have to look into the legalitys of it , well I just moved on . somtimes the hags will come against you

I'm sorry partner.... It's a bummer when someone Ruins your day like that... And there's no way to give it back to them... I truly hope for Karma to do it's thing...

I'm sorry partner.... It's a bummer when someone Ruins your day like that... And there's no way to give it back to them... I truly hope for Karma to do it's thing...
Thanks, but my day not ruined. It was 93 actual degrees. Hell, maybe I got saved from a heat stroke. I just hope that the custodian did tell the person what I asked him to and maybe next time they'll keep their nose where it belongs. Otherwise I'll claim I'm being stalked. HH jim tn

I find it interesting someone would send out the weekend janitor. That smells like someone personally doesnt like the sport but didnt want to go out themselves.

School Districts have Ground Maintenance sections and thats where I start. Its 50/50 as to who is going to win the battle of authority. Most Principals will back off if you have written/verbal access from the Grounds guy but in the end the Principal does have actual say on the premises. Slippery slope.

I always leave a card as inevitably staff will lose jewelry and who are they going to call, the guy with a lawn mower??? Nope, its paid off a time or two.

I find it interesting someone would send out the weekend janitor. That smells like someone personally doesnt like the sport but didnt want to go out themselves.
I think it was the person that was setting in the SUV that I spotted as the only car in the lot as I drove in. Someone called the custodian and no reason to do so if already in the building with him??? HH jim tn

I’m sure many here have had similar things like this happen… I know I have.
One thing I do sometimes is if a trash can is nearby, I will periodically pick up trash and put it in the container… especially if I see others around.. I feel if someone sees me doing this, they will likely leave me alone.
You handled the situation great and did nothing wrong.

I’m sure many here have had similar things like this happen… I know I have.
One thing I do sometimes is if a trash can is nearby, I will periodically pick up trash and put it in the container… especially if I see others around.. I feel if someone sees me doing this, they will likely leave me alone.
You handled the situation great and did nothing wrong.
I still like my hardhat reflective vest trick. 😁

I'd love to detect the old ethnic neighborhood curb strips in Cleveland. Which most today are gang land. I'm afraid I wouldn't make it out alive.
Four of us that all belonged to a detecting club retired about the same time. One was a Policeman, another had been a Deputy Sheriff for a good number of years prior and two of us just regular joe's. We all decided to hunt together whenever we could and about twice a week we all were able to hook up and we commenced hunting old parks in what we called Indian Territory. We would arrive at the chosen park at first good hunting light and hunt until about 9:30-10, which was about the time the riff raff started to show up. We did this for 6-7 years until crime in these area's finally got so bad we figured it was just a matter of time before we had a confrontation with one of the gangs and we moved on to safer pastures. Finds were good in these area's, Odanscoils, but like most places, they had all been hit and silver cherry picked back in the late 70's through the early 90's, so there wasn't pockets full of old silver coins being harvested. And, around 2005,2006, we had our choices for some pretty good silver slayer detectors, too. HH jim tn

Four of us that all belonged to a detecting club retired about the same time. One was a Policeman, another had been a Deputy Sheriff for a good number of years prior and two of us just regular joe's. We all decided to hunt together whenever we could and about twice a week we all were able to hook up and we commenced hunting old parks in what we called Indian Territory. We would arrive at the chosen park at first good hunting light and hunt until about 9:30-10, which was about the time the riff raff started to show up. We did this for 6-7 years until crime in these area's finally got so bad we figured it was just a matter of time before we had a confrontation with one of the gangs and we moved on to safer pastures. Finds were good in these area's, Odanscoils, but like most places, they had all been hit and silver cherry picked back in the late 70's through the early 90's, so there wasn't pockets full of old silver coins being harvested. And, around 2005,2006, we had our choices for some pretty good silver slayer detectors, too. HH jim tn
That would have been Awesome. Though I don't believe curb strips are cleaned out. Even today. Though the amount of trash would be incredible.

Y'all still get together ?