Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got the new 17" coil

jimzilla

So I finally got my 17" coil and will be going for a good test run tomorrow. I have had great success with it so far finding over 500 silver coins in the past year. I am thinking to run FAST-ON considering I will be hunting mainly parks at this point in time. Also I was wondering if anyone has had a definite positive experience from using the 17" More so on dirt than in the sand.

There you are Jim... Hadn't heard from you in a while....I would be glad to hear that the 17 does well in a park setting.

Hey Gary, I didnt go anywhere. I usually post on Friendly when I can. We should get together one day.

500 silver! Where the heck do you live!?

we live kind of close to New York City.so it's an old old area with millions and millions and millions of people

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 500 silvers :yikes::surprised:. I do not have the 17 I would love to hear how it does

I swung the 17 inch coil all day Sat. in a fresh cut open field, and I felt it at the end of the day. All my finds were within reach of the standard coil. The 17 does cover more ground and I found myself swinging faster and walking more. If a target, ferrous or not, is any where under the coil it will let you know. I would stop and rescan the area and decide to dig or not. Because I was in a field, pinpoint wasnt that important, as I was cutting good size plugs. In my area a deep target is 10-12 inches and most items are 6-8 inch range. So I am not sure it was a good investment FOR ME. IMHO. If your targets are out of reach of your standard coil or you want to cover more ground quicker, then it may be right for you.

I just got the 17 incher a couple of weeks ago and have only been able to give it a couple of trial runs due to the rain in my area. The ground is still muddy although it hasn't rained in a couple of days just to give an example. One of those trial runs was for a couple of hours in my yard. It's a medium sized yard and I have hit it very hard in many directions. A couple of days ago I decided to go out in the yard and see if I would find anything although I wasn't expecting nothing. I gridded a small section of the yard very thoroughly. NOTHING, absolutely nothing. The same applied for the second time I took it out to a pounded lake down the road for a couple of hours. Yes, I found some pocket change, but nothing significant was found. The one thing I did notice was that I found a clad dime at 13" down. That was a sure sign to me that my 17" coil was getting depth though that dime was in a sandy trash free area. Do I think it was worth it? Yes, since most of the old stuff around here tends to be a bit deeper and there are plenty of wide open areas to search here. One thing to note is that the 17 inch coil can get heavy after swinging a while.

I hear you on the weight issue. I picked up a hunting sling to help with the weight. The coil covers much more ground. I got it for the beach where depth and coverage are everything. I would never swing it in the water because the resistance and pinpointing would be horrible. Pinpointing with it will take more time in the dirt. For it to find you deeper targets you have to be where there are deep targets. Most of my finds are well with in the reach of the stock coil. Does it do some things the stock coil can't do? Absolutely. But the weight issue is real and the price is way up there.

If I recall someone's post from a while back they where saying that the 17 inch was not getting any or maybe they said "not much more" depth.
But I do remember performing an air test with my E-trac my SEF 18 X 15 and getting a large difference in "depth" detection compared to the stock coil.
Could someone perform the same test with the 17 compared to stock? When I did the test I had my sensitivity cranked up pretty high.
My plan for this coil would be using it in fields and deep woods in the area near old foundations.

Before it gets said by someone. I know that an air test is not real world situations BUT it should give us a pretty good indication that it really can go deeper than the stock coil.

Took out my new 17in coil for its first trip today. Tha field had been heavily hunted yet my first signsl was a tiny rose farthing. A small thin coin over 300 years old. I did pick up a few more bits but was impressed at finding the tiny coin. As to weight, I intended to use my ' detector buddy' bungee but somehow it didn't seem to help and I took it off. Managed a couple of hours and that was it!

So far I like the balance and weight of the coil but where I live, most targets are within the stock coils range. I am still debating if I will be keeping the larger coil. I bought the 6" one but just sold it. I was not impressed with it at all as I think I can still get the same separation with the stock coil. I may be selling the 17" one soon