Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got told to leave a spot today!!

I'm really not concerned or worried about the government. Laws are laws and one should not live their life being afraid of our government as I'm doing nothing that goes against their own rules and regulations concerning their property, but that's just me. Jim
If there are not laws against it, why would you not is the question! Jim

If there are not laws against it, why would you not is the question! Jim
Ask God for direction & go by His leading, as He will give you peace concerning going ahead detecting there or if not a comfortable feeling than don't! Wait upon the Lord & He will guide & provide you places for safe detecting & with nice finds by staying in His Good WILL! Ma

Well Jim, as expected, you've got a lot of differing opinions in your responses... probably similar to the small community that you belong to... if the wrong person spreads some negativity via social media platforms in your community, are you concerned that it could impact your ability to get permission to detect other properties in the area?

Spoke with the retired Post Master who still lives here yesterday, interesting conversation and two pieces of a puzzle got connected. He told me, as best he could remember, there was an “excavation” clause somewhere in the buildings/property clause in USCode. Essentially excavation on federal property is a violation of the code. This originally was to cover digging up of plants, flowers, trees, etc of landscaping designs, i.e., theft of petunias. The word excavation is further defined as the breaking of the level surface of the soil no matter how slight.
Interestingly, our city has an exact match of this wording in their public property prohibited acts. I guess detecting is ok but recovery is not. Just an FYI on where this could possibly go......

The city I live in has a "no dig" law. Some of the Park Rangers seemingly could care less and drive right by me, cops, too, but one guy has caught me twice plucking clad drops with my screw driver off of a festival site that has a arts and crafts event once a year. Usually good for $25. -$35., lots of quarters lost, over 5-6 hours of hunting. The Ranger guy was always nice and explained there is no law against metal detecting, but digging of any kind is against the law. And, if you should find anything, it needs to be turned into the city treasurer. Park maintenance personnel usually cleans the spot of all liter Mon. after the event and I get to then Tues. and Wed. a m early. I've been caught twice over about a 15 year time span.

Obviously, I can identify with you Old coin hunter as far as the b s of public spots being off limits, but the festival spot is not Federal, either. HH Jim tn

The city I live in has a "no dig" law. Some of the Park Rangers seemingly could care less and drive right by me, cops, too, but one guy has caught me twice plucking clad drops with my screw driver off of a festival site that has a arts and crafts event once a year. Usually good for $25. -$35., lots of quarters lost, over 5-6 hours of hunting. The Ranger guy was always nice and explained there is no law against metal detecting, but digging of any kind is against the law. And, if you should find anything, it needs to be turned into the city treasurer. Park maintenance personnel usually cleans the spot of all liter Mon. after the event and I get to then Tues. and Wed. a m early. I've been caught twice over about a 15 year time span.

Obviously, I can identify with you Old coin hunter as far as the b s of public spots being off limits, but the festival spot is not Federal, either. HH Jim tn
You need some help finding all those quarters??🤭
There is a small park that is old in my town, and I found quite a few old coins there from 2010-2013... my buddy and I only searched there during the fall and winter when not many people were there.
Now it is perfectly legal to detect and dig here, but there are vagrants that hang around there, people have called the cops on us, and later on, it became a magnet for protests over a civil war statue there.
After that even though I leagally can detect there, I felt it best to move on and I’m glad I did... I found other places with silver coins, and no one disturbed me... very peaceful hunting and even making great finds.
I do feel for you with all those coins lost there... such a shame.

Apparently your taxes help pay for FED, State & City Public property upkeep but not allowed to have rights to hunt & dig (Neatly covered) for your hobby like other hobbiest's do! Squirels, dogs dig holes & kids playing often dig holes; so they should arrest the children & animals &/or make them pay fines for destroying & disturbing or taking for themselves anything of value they find?? Laws are outdated & don't have the same rules at the courthouse that were written & placed in law before MD'ing Hobbies had even been thought about!

Guess attending meetings & bringing up permission for detecting digging & removing of anything must be brought up as a hobby, too! This is all because of uncaring people & criminals breaking rules & caused farmers & property owners to put up NO TRESPASSING Signs! I remember when swimmers & campers could go across friends & even strangers fields but were careful to close gates & take all trash with them! But more & more gates left open, causing cattle & horses to escape & trash filled where camping was done & then some killed animals for fun or food; so laws changed along with friendly neighbors!

One thing to remember is most people love money & if seeing someone digging they think you are destroying; especially if you find a nice Silver Dollar or Halve, they get jealous & tell the authories & complain! Without God & the love of Jesus in their lives hatred & jealousy fills their ungodly minds! Age old story-- Cain slew Abel because of jealosy! Until we live in Paradice again it will be the same BUT even worse when living during THE GREAT TRIBULATION coming upon all nations & unsaved people! :cry2: Ma

OCH, I’m not sure regarding your question. My source, the old PostMaster is also a snowbird (those who spend their winters in AZ) and not sure when he hit the road back south. I am going to assume that USC would override any Rules and Reg’s. The old rule of thumb of City law can be more restrictive than a County law than a State law than a Federal law but never less restrictive unless backed by State Constitution (if that makes sense....I think thats why attorneys were invented)!!

The only thing i could find in the USC concerning this issue is this, "to step or climb on, or in any way injure any object of art, exhibit [ including an exhibit animal], equipment, seat, wall, fountain, or other erection or architectural feature, or any shrub, plant, or turf, within the specified buildings or grounds." Mind you, this is under the following areas only, "Smithsonian Institution, National Gallery of Art, and John F. Kennedy Center For The Performing Arts. But who knows. HH Jim"

Seems like you are only allowed to burn and destroy nowadays. I'd keep an eye on those strange post office people.

To make a big deal out of something so trivial when the ramifications could be serious, I like to recall an age old adage: If you have got a bugger in your nose don't cut your nose off! Just simply remove the bugger, and move on. Any fellow member acting in good faith, would simply advise you, the lady told you to leave, she told you she called the Post Master, and he said for you to hit the dusty trail? Just leave! All members are just that! A member! I would never give any of my fellow members any advise that could cause a serious problem! If you asked a home owner to medal detect, and they said 'No' you would accept the response? Why would it be any different for a Federal entity?

Leatherneck

Because if it’s not against their “rules and regulations “ then I am allowed to do it. Just because someone doesn’t like it is not how the law works. I’m quite sure everyone has done something that wasn’t against the law but I’m also sure that there was someone who didn’t like what they were doing. Also you’re comparing a homeowner to the government, really. We taxpayers actually own government facilities and if there is a rule, law or regulation I would have no problem with not detecting or doing anything else that was covered under those rules, laws or regulations for that matter. You have your opinion and I have mine. Jim