Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GP 3000 issue for a newbie

jonesin9999

hello all,
I am very new to metal detecting. I just had a minelab gp3000 given to me because the previous owner got a new device and said if I got a new battery for it i could have it. I purchased a brand new battery and have been charging it for about a full day with the minelab charger. The battery is reading about 5.78 volts on my multimeter. However when I hook everything up and turn the device on it makes a quick beep in the headphones and then in about 15 seconds it makes just a continuing sound. I have tried with two seperate coils and still happens. I have adjusted every knob and switch every possibly way. Any ideas of what I could have going on here???? HELP I WANT TO GET OUT THERE!!!! I have a short audio clip of the sound but I cannot upload it here. I would be glad to email it to anyone if you would like to private message me your email address. Minelabs owners manual said that the unit would make a sound if the battery was too low, im not sure if that is what the sound i have is and the battery is just taking a while to charge since it was brand new with no charge.

Hi mate the battery should be at 6.7volts to run the detector and the detector will not run at near 6. volts it starts beeping you will get 8 hours detecting out of to fully charged battery .Try using the 12 volt charger with the flashing light the light flashes slower when the battery is near full charge ,when it starts charging the light flickers fast the 12 v is a faster charger than the wall charger.The new battery is it a roll top

Maybe the DC converter that I have the car charger is not letting enough electricity through? Not close to the 6.7 at all. Seems to be hanging right under 6. it has been on charge for almost 24 hours now and I am still just under 6 volts The red light on the minelab car charger just stays with the red light on. It does not blink at all.

IT should be fully charged in that time.Do you now any one that is using a 2000 ,2100,2200,extreme 3000 or 3500 see if you can try charging your battery on there charger.If it does not charge there is the problem or try charging there battery on your charger .Until you find out where the charging problem is you will not be able to use the detector ,it seems funny to me that both chargers will not charge the battery so it sounds more like a battery problem even though its a new one

Just another thought on the 12 v charger the red light can flicker that fast it can look like its on all the time.Try to charge the battery using the car charger and leave it on for 2 or 3 days it will not damage the battery just check the light ever so on. Let me no how you go .

Why not get your hands on a DC power supply and eliminate the battery to test the unit for function.
You may have an open coil or cable, or a front end fet shorted due to a bad coil/cable.
Where is your location? I'm in OC, CA. I'd like to try my coils on other such detectors - I have a GP Extreme.

Hi jonesin9999
Do you have GP 3000 yet?
Do you sell it?
Regards