Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GP/GPX coil experiment risk?

bklein

I’ve read some messages indicating putting an incompatible coil on these machines could damage them. I tried a beach hog on my GP Extreme and it worked ok. Now I’d like to try the coil from my whites DF. Risky?

The Beach Hog I tried was a TDI coil. So what’s the deal, Whites coils just don’t perform well or there is risk of machine damage? The GP coil is already fairly low resistance so current should not be an issue with a Whites coil.... I feel the DF coil already doesn’t perform on a DF as it should so I am curious to try on the GP. Bought the Gp with blown front end though....

I got a reply from Carl on geotech and he said whites coils are ok to try but have higher coil resistance so GP coils should do better on the GP machines.
I’ll post how things work out.

That explains why they're not recommended for the GP series. Higher coil resistance means less current though the coil, and a weaker magnetic field into the ground. That would mean less depth.
Jim

I tried the TDI Beach Hog on my Extreme. Worked great but when it overloaded because getting to near my scoop there was a nasty sounding low frequency oscillation dounfing like the front end frying. Turned everything off and back on and all is good. I’m using a nuggetfinder amp and a buck converter off two 18650 cells which peak at 8.4v off the charger. I’m going to try a buck boost converter next but I sure don’t want to fry the front end.